what is the fine for

A

apostropheman

running a red light in Santo Domingo?

also the proper procedure for paying said fine?

just curious as a friend was recently pulled over for this and his story sounds a bit unusual. not that i'm questioning what actually took place but it sounds to me like he was penalized for being a tourist in a rental vehicle.:eek:gre:

A

apostropheman

Go to court (AMET building), see the judge, pay the fine, waste a day.
agreed but what should the fine be?

i'd guess the legitimate, on the books fine should be no more that 200-300 pesos. am i close?:bunny:

fightingirish

Dec 8, 2005
Im shocked that a tourist actually was given an official fine. Ive been pulled over for quite a few things -- maybe Ive been lucky.

I smile and speak exaggeratedly bad spanish. Apologize profusely, show my US drivers license and immediately tell them how beautiful the DR is. I love your country, etc... Are you from the capital, etc.... The women are so beautiful, etc.... When will you come to visit *my* country?

This usually has them smiling. My drivers license says Chicago, so we talk about Sammy Sosa and five minutes later Im on my way.

If it got any worse I would break out a few hundred pesos. Avoid the actual ticket at all costs.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
If you try to bribe an AMET cop you will probably be arrested. AMET cops wear the green uniforms.

A

apostropheman

If you try to bribe an AMET cop you will probably be arrested. AMET cops wear the green uniforms.
i would never try and bribe them, however i might ask what the fine was if i wanted to pay it right then and there instead of going to the courthouse :):bunny::bunny:

ZEUS

Bronze
Feb 14, 2003
My fifty cents. Why would you want to run a red light? Do you do it in the States? Or is it because you're are a third-world coutry. We have laws too, you know.

Zeus

A

apostropheman

My fifty cents. Why would you want to run a red light? Do you do it in the States? Or is it because you're are a third-world coutry. We have laws too, you know.

Zeus
i wasn't involved but most times, in a taxi for example, running red lights seem to be the norm in the DR...outside of the major cities like SD and Santiago anyway.

there are other thread on DR1 dealing with running red lights...like the thread on the new lights in sosua and how no one stops at them, new or old, and how dangerous it could be to do so.

i for 1 don't want to be the boulder in the rapids:bunny:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
thank you Robert!

so paying a little under $100USD, on the spot isn't normal:surprised:bunny::bunny:?

Nope, that's called corruption. You don't pay money to the cops, your friend was shaken down. He should have just accepted the ticket and refused to pay.

A

apostropheman

Nope, that's called corruption. You don't pay money to the cops, your friend was shaken down. He should have just accepted the ticket and refused to pay.
exactly my thought. thanks for the info.

Werner

Feb 19, 2004

Zeus

Sometimes you dont notice the redlight, happens here and everywere in the world. Doesnt mean that somebody WANTS to run a red light.

chadverizon

Apr 2, 2005
Im shocked that a tourist actually was given an official fine. Ive been pulled over for quite a few things -- maybe Ive been lucky.

I smile and speak exaggeratedly bad spanish. Apologize profusely, show my US drivers license and immediately tell them how beautiful the DR is. I love your country, etc... Are you from the capital, etc.... The women are so beautiful, etc.... When will you come to visit *my* country?

This usually has them smiling. My drivers license says Chicago, so we talk about Sammy Sosa and five minutes later Im on my way.

If it got any worse I would break out a few hundred pesos. Avoid the actual ticket at all costs.

I'm have a US licence (US citizen) I also have a DR drivers licence so if I get pulled over I can give them my DR licence. Once they have your US licence or passport you are at their mercy if you care about getting it back. I could give a crap about my DR licence, it is just so I have something to give the crooks I mean cops if I get pulled over. If you are a tourist, carry a copy of your US licence so you can give them that.
When I was new here I paid RD$5000 pesos for a illegal U-turn, why you might ask. Because I gave the police my US licence, he then said follow me. If I had just given him my DR licence (which I did not have back then) the next time he went left I would have gone right. Although I got a great tour of the Colonial Zone following him, he knew that he had me by the balls and he knew I would pay to get my licence back.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I'm have a US licence (US citizen) I also have a DR drivers licence so if I get pulled over I can give them my DR licence. Once they have your US licence or passport you are at their mercy if you care about getting it back. I could give a crap about my DR licence, it is just so I have something to give the crooks I mean cops if I get pulled over. If you are a tourist, carry a copy of your US licence so you can give them that.
When I was new here I paid RD$5000 pesos for a illegal U-turn, why you might ask. Because I gave the police my US licence, he then said follow me. If I had just given him my DR licence (which I did not have back then) the next time he went left I would have gone right. Although I got a great tour of the Colonial Zone following him, he knew that he had me by the balls and he knew I would pay to get my licence back.

They cops are not allowed to take your license and they no longer do.
If they try and keep it, scream blue murder as they are not allowed to.