Trip to Dajabon Market

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ismenie

Sep 14, 2006
Hello Everyone:

I am planning a return trip to DR. I am extremely interested in visiting this Market, where Haitians and Dominicans cultures seem to have a recurring clash. I don't why because I would assume that both cultures are one of the same. Anyway, I am planning to fly into Santiago and would like to plan a day/overnight trip there. All suggestions would be appreciated..Hotels, restaurants, etc...

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Hello Everyone:

I am planning a return trip to DR. I am extremely interested in visiting this Market, where Haitians and Dominicans cultures seem to have a recurring clash. I don't why because I would assume that both cultures are one of the same. Anyway, I am planning to fly into Santiago and would like to plan a day/overnight trip there. All suggestions would be appreciated..Hotels, restaurants, etc...
You seem to be mistaken on a couple of points.

First there is no "clash" of cultures in Dajabon's market. It is just a market, pretty unimpressive. Haitian sell lots of trinkets and we sell them mainly produce. I have been there lots of times (I have some really bad pictures somewhere).

Second although there are a lot of things in common you cannot stretch it to the point of considering the culture of both countries to be the same. Both Haitians and Dominicans will tell you that you are in error. The most notable difference is that different languages are spoken in both countries, and that they were colonized by different empires.

torge1ce

Nov 6, 2006
I thought the interaction between the two was interesting. I feel that it is definitely two different cultures there. If the market is a new experience for you I think you will be amazed at how vital it is to the Haitians simply in terms of survival.

If you are finding a place for the night, I might stay about an hour/ hour and a half away in Monte Cristi. The hotel downtown "The Montechico" is fairly inexpensive. Also, make sure you catch the market in the morning close to when it opens. It is when it is the busiest.

dogstar

Oct 24, 2004
Fridays

Thats the best market day. If you take caribe tours to dahabon, there is a new hotel about 3 blocks from the bus stop, I don't remember the name, but it is one block from the telephone exchange.
joe

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
trip

I took the trip a couple of weeks ago. I was glad I went but I feel it was not that great. I probably won?t go again. Most of the wares were used or donated stuff that was not that well priced.
I stayed out of sight and let the Dominicans that accompanied me do the shopping and their reports were it was ok but not to be repeated. They told me that they could get similar prices in the capitol. I drove down on Sunday and hit the market on Monday so it may have been they day of the week that I hit. My host was a friend that rented out space in the back of her house for people to use for the market. I had a ring side seat as it were. The hotel I stayed in looked nice but they had an under sized pump supporting the water so water did not come out of the shower head. You got a trickle out of the faucet at a level of about six inches so you had to squat and splash water up.
I have to remember the name of the hotel but I think it was around $1500 RD a night. The food was ok their however.

Status
Not open for further replies.