can you see Caicos and grand turk from POP?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Sunday afternoon I was flying from NYC to santiago and as our plane was approaching north coast of DR I saw caicos & grand turk islands from my window. I just didn't realize that they were so many tiny group of islands and so close to DR. I mean, I saw them down below and then I saw the coast line of DR not far ahead.
My question is this:
if you are standing at the hill top and seeing the ocean at 10 "O" clock position from corfresi, can you see the lights at night in those close by islands?
If someone is in teleferico on a clear day, can you see those islands on the north deep far out in the ocean?

AZB

I have also seen them on my trips to the DR. there is quite a chain of the islands.

The Turks and Caicos Islands are one of the last remaining British Colonies and located some 575 miles southeast of Miami Florida with the Bahamas about 30 miles to the Northwest and the Dominican Republic some 100 miles to the Southeast.

turksandcaicosmaps.jpg

Now whether I could see it from Teleferico is another question??

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I don't think you can see these islands AZB. At least, I've never been able to see them from POP. From an airplane, it takes about 10 to 15 minutes flying, before the islands become visible. They are only about 90 miles North of the DR. The islands are flat, not much height to them.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
No, from PP, you can't ever see those small, flat islands... However, when sailing from Provo to Hispaniola, you can see Haiti's mountain very soon, whenever the weather is clear...

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I don't think you can see these islands AZB. At least, I've never been able to see them from POP. From an airplane, it takes about 10 to 15 minutes flying, before the islands become visible. They are only about 90 miles North of the DR. The islands are flat, not much height to them.[/QUOTE]

True, they are very flat and dry. For that reason alone I asked if you could see some dim lights from the distance. I guess when the island is flat then there is nothing much to see after a few miles into the horizon.
Thanks.
AZB

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Flying between Grand Turk and POP at 7 or 8,000 feet (depending on direction of flight) I can't see either from the 182 until maybe 40 miles out MOL, depending on how much humidity and clouds there are. Closer to see GTK (it's flat; the mountains on Hispanola are the first thig seen).

~Maybe~ on a really clear, dark, low humidity nite you ~might~ be able to see lights glow on the horizon. Maybe.

Don Pedro

Apr 2, 2005
just taking off from Miami, I could see Bahamas islands and Miami Beach was right ahead. I was in the pilot cockpit( B747). I can say it was couple of seconds after the take off and I was very surprise. This is why I remenber.

mrmagic

Nov 25, 2003
Sunday afternoon I was flying from NYC to santiago and as our plane was approaching north coast of DR I saw caicos & grand turk islands from my window. I just didn't realize that they were so many tiny group of islands and so close to DR. I mean, I saw them down below and then I saw the coast line of DR not far ahead.
My question is this:
if you are standing at the hill top and seeing the ocean at 10 "O" clock position from corfresi, can you see the lights at night in those close by islands?
If someone is in teleferico on a clear day, can you see those islands on the north deep far out in the ocean?

AZB

yes , but you need a ladder to acheive this. Also you must wait for low tide as that will make the turks sit up out of the water more higher

G

gary short

yes , but you need a ladder to acheive this. Also you must wait for low tide as that will make the turks sit up out of the water more higher

Hhhheyyyy........wait a minute.....if it's low tide in Pop and high tide in the Turks wouldn't you get washed off of your ladder.......you know.....considering gravity and all.......never mind

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
My question is this:
They have lights over there at night?

Perhaps we should run an extention cord! :ermm:

castleburger

Sep 4, 2006
actually, its impossible. from the top of isabel de torres the line of sight due to the curvature of the earth is just 72 miles. there is no visable " glow " in the sky at that distance. from an elevated hieght ( several miles) you could see the actual lights if concentrated. but other than that.....no way jose!