Importing a Personal Computer

T

Tracey

Could anyone please tell me how much approximately it costs to bring a personal computer (new) into the country. I need this information asap for some friends who are leaving this week and want to take their computer with them. They are Cuban and will be arriving from Canada on a charter. Thanks in advance, TRacey

J

just went thru this

i just went thru this experience. if it is a laptop, no tax. if the computer is more than 6 months old it is treated as being personal effects and taxed as such (300 pesos or so, depending upon its weight). If it is less than 6 months old it is considered new and then taxed at about 30% of the value of it, DR customs assesses the value of the machine also, and if you have no proof of the age of the machine they also assess if it is over 6 months old.. Another thing.. If they assess it to be worth over 2k then they can take it for an additional 4-6 days from you as you fill out the additional stack of importation paperwork. I recommend bringing along proof of when you purchased it along with the original receipt.. If you don't have this bring along something which shows the value of the machine.. I'd bring along this info even if it is over 6 months old just for safetys sake..

J

John Thomas

TRacey, as of March 1, 1999 the Customs' tariff for personal computers is 1.5% and are no longer subject to the Transfer Tax on Industrialized Goods and Services (ITBIS). Law 345-98 and General Norm 1-99. YOU ARE WELCOME. John Thomas.