What's going on with DR

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
Well,

Like any other Dominican I went back for a quick visit, due that I got a buddy who lives in Europe after 3 or 4 years that we dont see each others we decide to get together in Puerto Plata.

I knew that situation were not going good but I was not ready to see the country in bad shape.

Starting with the nightlife: Is not the same all bars and Colmados has to be close by 1am. When you go on Vacation is to Enjoy not to be in the lack where to go after midnight.

I went around Sosua and I noticed that was more clean than before about prostitution and garbage, But to all tourist and Dominicans that have long time with out going back to DR, be aware about police stoping people in the middle of the road for good reason looking for guns but at the same time other stoping for money right straight out they will tell you how hard is the situation of the country and that they dont want to ask for money but that the money that they make is not enough to support their families I know is nothing strange but the country is not changing for better just for worse.

Construction in Puerto Plata think twice about driving there now so easy can take over 1 hour to get out of POP. if planning driving to Santo Domingo find other way either Jamao al Norte wich will take you to Moca or Carretera Touristica that goes to Gurabo.

Before I used to be against about resorts but if you want to dance after midnight stay inside your resort.

About Punta Cana, a lot of new hotels but not place to go for nightlife Mangu in Flamenco used to be kind of a little bit classy but if full of prostitutes.

Eating outside still price is good and drink but hard to find a Colmadon open late at nite with merenge tipico.

PS: For new tourists and frequent visitors, Mama Juana wont be allow on the plane unless has Rhum on it but dont take a chance.

besides every bad thing that is going on there I found my own way to have fun but is not like DR use to be at least 2 or 4 years back

CarpeDReam

Feb 17, 2006
they dont want to ask for money but that the money that they make is not enough to support their families I know is nothing strange but the country is not changing for better just for worse.

PS: For new tourists and frequent visitors, Mama Juana wont be allow on the plane unless has Rhum on it but dont take a chance.

Dominicans always say the DR is changing for the worse---have you ever heard them say otherwise?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Dominicans always say the DR is changing for the worse---have you ever heard them say otherwise?
The police are the worst!!!

What would anyone expect for them to say? That things are good, but give me some money anyway? And what do any of you think those police officers asking for bribes use that money for? Hint: often it has to do more with "una fria" than with "una jartura".

;)

-NALs