Thoughts for an "ExPats Club" in Santiago--

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Would it be feasible?
Would the traffic support such an establishment?
Would it require a "subscription" base?
How much floor space would be required?
How would we go about forming one?

Been thinking about this for some time as a place where "visitors" could gather, have a beer or two, a sandwich or a meal and share comradship.

Interested?
PM me with suggestions and/or negative"isms" and positive"isms".

Texas Bill

Platinumdooky

Nov 11, 2006
Ummmm

What is an expat's club? Im sorry for my ingnorance but could you let me know exactly what that is. Thanks

TpC

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Folks from other countries that live in the DR as residents.

Not a bad idea!!

Carry on TB!!

HB

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Folks from other countries that live in the DR as residents.

Not a bad idea!!

Carry on TB!!

HB

OK, I'll reaserch the prospects, make enqueries as to costs of rental/leaseing, plant equipment, location, etc.
When I have the figures together, I'll post them here.
It will take money to get it started and attendance to keep it going.
Exclusivety isn't cheap, so don't be surprised.
There will be an initial outlay for membership plus a monthly/annual subscription attached; a "Board of Governors" to be elected to supervise the good management necessary and the hiring of a suitable manager/supervisor.

Please PM me with suggestions/solutions.

Texas Bill

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I'm not an "ex-pat" (yet), but I do travel to Santiago very frequently. I would have interest in supporting such a venture. It would be a nice place to hang while in town. Be a great way to do some real face-to-face networking, too.

TB & HB-I'll see you guys in a few weeks. The feisty Mom CB will be in tow with the Fur Child. Dinner will be on me.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
as long as we got presidentes, chicas and maybe some food we will support it !!

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
as long as we got presidentes, chicas and maybe some food we will support it !!

Kyle:

Sorry, pardner, but NO CHICAS will be available...Bring your own, if that's what you want.
The vision is that there will be a place for Ex-Pats of all nations to meet and exercise comraderie, discuss current events and exchange ideas, no mas, no menos.

Still interested???

Texas Bill

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
TexasBill, there is a women's club of expats in Santiago. Perhaps you can talk with them in terms of how they do it if you were interested. PM Nebraskamom .. She keeps up with the happenings there.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Why don't you find a fairly quiet bar/cafe and talk to the owner about using it as a regular meeting place?
Think "American Legion" organization, except for ex-pats. I think it's a great idea, one I'd support even before my upcoming move to Santiago.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple, Stupid)

I'm sure there's plenty of cafes that would LOVE to host something like this. I know I would..
I think Bill's thought is more of a drop-in club, and not a regular meeting somewhere.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
I think Bill's thought is more of a drop-in club, and not a regular meeting somewhere.

Cobraboy;

Exaactly what I invisioned.
Hours from 0930/1000 to 1400. Again from 1600 til 2100 or thereabouts.
Accomodate for a breakfast menu and/or coffee and doughnuts in the AM, then limited luncheon until 1400. Again, cocktails/beer (similar to "happy hour) and serve a limited menu for diner.
Rest of the time, just plain ole talkfests for us vociferous ones. Solve the world's problems-like, or just plain ole BS.
Real informal atmosphere---Not like "White's" of olden English times.
If it develops further, then OK by me. Whatever members want, if economically and socially feasable.

Texas Bill

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
TexasBill, there is a women's club of expats in Santiago. Perhaps you can talk with them in terms of how they do it if you were interested. PM Nebraskamom .. She keeps up with the happenings there.

Chris;

Thanks for the link, I'll PM her real soon with the idea and ask to meet with her and others to discuss how, what, when, where facts of organization.

You might give her a "heads-up" on the matter

Thanks again.

BTW, finally found "Morton's Pickling Salt" yesterday in National. Now all I need are the "Pickling Spices" and I will make my own Corned Beef. Probably will have to order from the States. Any sources or references???

Texas Bill

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
There are way too few expats living in Santiago........

.....Not to mention the entire country.....In order to have this "club" able to pay for itself, we must look into the viabilities of this idea. Thus:.. We must add the number of foreigners living there (Santiago) times the frequency they care to patronize the establishment plus the occasional tourists.
You then deduct all the inbuilt expenses and subtract it from actual income and voilà! you have your answer.
Don't be surprised if the numbers are disproportionately lopsided....It simply can't be done.... As a "stand alone" enterprise, it won't work!!
The only practical/possible solution to such an undertaking, will be to rent out space at an already established bistro for a set price. You can then negotiate menu, price and time.
No other way can support it realistically.

Me thinks.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I'm guessing like a private club there would be dues involved.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
BTW, finally found "Morton's Pickling Salt" yesterday in National. Now all I need are the "Pickling Spices" and I will make my own Corned Beef. Probably will have to order from the States. Any sources or references???

Texas Bill

In my previous life in the Deli business we made our Corned Beef in our own Pickling Spice. These should all be available in the DR. Sorry I can't give you measurements, just trial and error. Ingredients were: black pepper seed, mustard seed, coriander, chopped ginger, Cinnamon, chopped chili peppers, Bay leaf, All Spice.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You'd be surprised just how many are in Santiago and the close by areas...

We have to look for a space or two...

HB

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
If you bring real Corned Beef to RD, I will be your biggest customer!

2nd Avenue Deli had the best Corned Beef in NYC, R.I.P.