Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default In loving memory of the Butterflies

The Butterflies

Anyone that is intersted in learning about these Dominican icons can visit this site.

Last night I was blessed with the company of two American/Dominican oral surgeons. One was the father visiting his homeland for perhaps the last time as he was in his 80s and his health was failing. The son brought him down to remember his lifetime here and they were on their way back to the states. I thoroughly enjoyed talking to both of these very fine men. The father... it turns out is a very good friend to the Mirabal family. He was there the night Minerva spurned the advances of the "Chivo". He witnessed history on that night. He danced with her on that evening and told me a story which I will never forget. He remains in contact with the remaining sister who still resides in Salcedo and has the museum where the remains of these three sisters rest.

Every year I mention these sisters who had so much to do with the changing of Dominican history. Please join me in remembering them.

This is not a thread to discuss your Dominican political views one way or the other. If you wish to debate about this subject I strongly suggest you start your own thread. Please respect this thread as you will these Dominican treasures.

Thanks!

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Very detailed testimony on the butterflies.

I was 10 years old when the Mirabals were killed. I remember vividly the furor generated by the news. many people cried openly and reminisced about 'las tres hermanas'. I was too young to understand fully what was going on or why my paternal side of my family had gathered at my grandma's house.I remember them talking in whispers and occasionally sobbing and hugging each other.
    In retrospect, it is crystal-clear why Trujillo was assassinated shortly thereafter.
    of all his nefarious, despicable slayings; this one, unquestionably was the most consequential.

"El chivo" met his match. He snuffed three lives, but not their passion and love of country. Que vivan las Mirabales. True patriots of the highest order!

"No hay lluvia que dure cien años, ni hombre que la resista" (anonymous).
    Last edited by Don Juan; 11-15-2006 at 07:49 PM. Reason: typos

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by Don Juan View Post
    I was 10 years old when the Mirabals were killed. I remember vividly the furor generated by the news. many people cried openly and reminisced about 'las tres hermanas'. I was too young to understand fully what was going on or why my paternal side of my family had gathered at my grandma's house.
    I remember them talking in whispers and occasionally sobbing and hugging each other. In retrospect, it is crystal-clear why Trujillo was assassinated shortly thereafter.
    of all his nefarious, despicable slayings; this one, unquestionably was the most consequential.

"El chivo" met his match. He snuffed three lives, but not their passion and love of country. Que vivan las Mirabales. True patriots of the highest order!

"No hay lluvia que dure cien aņos, ni hombre que la resista" (anonymous).

I welcome these tributes and I thank you for yours. Please stop by the site where they were murdered and say a prayer for them. They are looking down on us and they are smiling.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Don Juan,
    Thanks for your input from someone who lived through that era.

DominicanScotty,
    I wish I'd had the opportunity to listen in on that conversation. I would have loved to hear how he experienced it versus the written accounts.

Everyone else,
    If you're truly interested in the Dominican Republic you should take the time to learn a little more about this period in history and the sacrifices made by the Mirabals and others to remove a dictator and improve life for the Dominican people. In addition to being an inspiring story, I think it helps shed some light on the people today and where the government stands in its evolution as a democracy.

Julia Alvarez' "In the Time of the Butterflies" and any of the numerous books on Trujillo are great places to start.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

DominicanScotty,
    If the gentleman you spoke to was willing to have his recollections captured on video, posting such a thing to YouTube for instance would be great.

Post Thanks / Like

I met Doņa Dedé Mirabal last time I visited the Casa Museo, earlier this year.

Visiting the house is always a moving experience. Highly recommended for anyone who is interested in learning more about the sisters and their role in DR history, or paying tribute to their memory.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I strongly agree with Chirimoya about the visit in the museum. We have been there twice and any time I would be ready to go there again if any our visitors like to see it.
    In a nice way it tells a lot of a history of this country and its people and I always recommend a visit for a people looking over dominicans like they were savages and like they would not had any culture and education at all.

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default It would have

Quote Originally Posted by CFA123 View Post
    DominicanScotty,
    If the gentleman you spoke to was willing to have his recollections captured on video, posting such a thing to YouTube for instance would be great.

It was on the flight from Puerto Plata to Miami. The son sat next to me and the father was across the aisle. The father was quite old and shook a lot. Julia Alvarez's book is a good one an I suggest people do buy it. Through her she spoke with the surviving sister at the museo in Salcedo. I was riveted by this man's recollection as his mind was still very sharp. He danced with Minerva that night now so famous when Trujillo made his advances. The slap to his face which was so pronounced in the movie was pure Hollywood and never happened according to him. I wished the flight could have lasted much longer. The son and I became friends and I am sure I will see him again. I pray that I also see the father again. To me personally..it was fate and I left them there at the baggage claim area feeling quite blessed.

Rest in peace Amigo!
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you again for reminding us of this piece of Dominican history.

Gregg

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Tis a great story of courage. Was really moved by las mariposas.
    Thanks for putting this here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast