Violent Crimes in the DR. Yes or no?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I am well aware of the fact that crime is on the up tick in several parts of the DR over the past couple of years. I myself have had some issues regarding thiefs and mugging.

It seems that a week doesn't go by on DR1 without another report of a violent crime, murder, break-ins with terror and/or beatings. Many of these postings seem to conflict in their reports and facts, and a genally alarm is posted similar to yelling "fire" in a crowded movie house.

What I would like to know is simple but perhaps difficult.(Only in the DR can it be simple and difficult). How do we get hard numbers and statistics regarding crime? For example, I for one, don't know if one murder in JD is a hugh spike in the numbers ,or average for a popualtion of SD size. I don't know if crime in SD an urban city is in line with other urban cities, perhaps a city even located in the USA. (percentage of people to types of crime)

The fact is, I really don't know how rampant is crime is. Everytime I tell my golf partner I'm going to SD next week he says"Wow isn't that dangerous?" This is a man that has NEVER been to the DR. But he will always say "I heard that...bla. bla, bla. Well I don't know where her gets it from but I would like to hear some real facts, from people that might have unadulterated information.

Certainly, there are a lot of smart people on this board, along with people that are quick to want to tell you everything they know in a NY heartbeat.
So--who has the crime stats? Who can bring this into perspective?

JOHN

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Its not any more dangerous than NYC.
I have been living here for 8 plus years and the only time I got mugged was when I went to a wrong place looking for problems. If you look for problems, you will find it anywhere.
AZB

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Many of these postings seem to conflict in their reports and facts, and a genally alarm is posted similar to yelling "fire" in a crowded movie house.
JOHN
Better to yell "fire" in a crowded theatre than to see one and ignore it.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
This is what

Its not any more dangerous than NYC.
I have been living here for 8 plus years and the only time I got mugged was when I went to a wrong place looking for problems. If you look for problems, you will find it anywhere.
AZB

I'm thinking but thought there might be some detailsl to back up my opinion.
Since I only spend a week per month in the DR better I should ask the experts.
JOHN

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
After living here for 10 years one thing has become very apparent to me and that is the inability of the Dominicans to have accurate or even partially reliable statistics on anything. Be it births, deaths, crime or anything else.

When the day comes when they are all computerized and no longer work out of ledgers then the possibility of reliable statistics may become a reality.

Due to this lack of reliable statistics we must depend on places like this board and the media to receive some sort of inkling as to what the real story is.

Just like Dominican statistics the Dominican media leaves a lot to be desired also which makes me having a tendency to rely more on that posted by our members.

Rick

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Actually,"AZB",The DR IS A LOT More Dangerous than NYC!!

The DR,with a population of about eight million people,has about nine hundred "Reported" murders per year!!! NYC with a similar population,has less than three hundred!!
"Smoke that!"
cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
According to Statistics....

Dominican Republic:

(keep in mind that a large percentage of homicides in the DR are extra judicial, which means Police kills suspects prior to submiting them to the courts and/or for no justification - these statistics don't make any distinction between random murders, murders conducted between people who knew each other, or extra judicial killings. What they do show is how many people had a violent death, however).

890 homicides in 2001
Source: Dominican Republic Crime Rates

1,750 murders in 2004 or 19.5 per 100,000 inhabitants
Source: Dominican Republic Judicial System Highlights

Compare to other countries in the region:

El Salvador 55.5 per 100,000 population
Honduras 40.6 per 100,000 population
Guatemala 37.5 per 100,000
Costa Rica 6.2 per 100,000
Source: Harsher Measures Don't Cut Crime

Puerto Rico: Population = 4 mil Murders = 790 in 2004
Source: With The Highest Murder Rate In The U.S., Puerto Rico Needs Immediate Solutions

Trinidad and Tobago: Population = 1.2 mil Murders = 386 in 2005
Source: Trinidad Murder

Saint Lucia: Population = 165,500 Murders = 37 in 2005
Source: Mixed results in region's fight against crime

Compared to United States:

16,692 murders in 2005 or 5.6 murders per 100,000 inhabitants in 2005
Source: US Crime

Compared to New York State:

874 murders in 2005 or 4.5 murders per 100,000 inhabitants in 2005
Source: NY Crime

Compared to New York City:

New York City Murders 570
Source: New York Crime

Compared to Florida:

883 murders in 2005 or 5.0 per 100,000
Source: FL Crime

Take all of these statistics for whatever they are worth, which obviously varies with the source.

-NALs

Last edited:

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Using one of those websites quoted by NAL's, it looks like the DR is on par with Miami in terms of the murder rate per 100,000 people. Of course there could be huge differences in the way the numbers are collected or counted.

Mar 21, 2002
Chicken Little

Less than 3 a day and then you guys complain. The sky is fallin, the sky is fallin.

Given the young age of the population, they are quite well behaved.

Nals, you came to DR1 a year after I did and have 4-5 times my posts. You need to get out more brother. Life is passing you by.

Last edited:

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Nal's endless chatter

Less than 3 a day and then you guys complain. The sky is fallin, the sky is fallin.

Given the young age of the population, they are quite well behaved.

Nals, you came to DR1 a year after I did and have 4-5 times my posts. You need to get out more brother. Life is passing you by.

Tell me something--what does your posting have to do with the price of tea in China or the price of cabbage in the DR??
Read post #1 asking for some stats and not asking for crapolla.
So--your input is ??
Sorry to be so rude and crude but thats the way I feel about the substance of your reply. Over to you.(please keep it brief as I am not in the mood)

JOHN
JOHN

Mar 21, 2002
Tell me something--what does your posting have to do with the price of tea in China or the price of cabbage in the DR??
Read post #1 asking for some stats and not asking for crapolla.
So--your input is ??
Sorry to be so rude and crude but thats the way I feel about the substance of your reply. Over to you.(please keep it brief as I am not in the mood)

JOHN
JOHN

Haha, OK, Johne, touche! I just wanted to rile up Nals. The point is Johne that crime in the DR is statistically insignificant. More ex-pats moving there belie the case for an increase in crime. As Rocky has said ad nauseaum, the crime is the same but the medium for disseminating isn't. Somebody has a migraine in Dajabon and on DR1 we'll know about it before Listin does.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
The overwhelming number of murders commited in Washington, DC area are drug-related or as a result of a mugging or a break-in. Last year, (05) that number came to 626. These murders were commited by criminals.

The overwhelming number of murders in DR are commited by the police or members of the armed forces.

What does this tell you?