Calls between US and DR...cheapest way to call

holita

Jun 6, 2006
I am still considering moving to the DR in a few months and my family and friends are wondering what the best way to stay in touch with me is.

How much does is cost to call the US from the DR on a cell phone or home phone? And does anyone know any cheap or moderately priced calling cards my family and friends can use to call me when I live in the DR? Or calling plans from major telephone companies?

Anyone have an info on this topic??? Thanks....

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
Calling Card!

I am still considering moving to the DR in a few months and my family and friends are wondering what the best way to stay in touch with me is.

How much does is cost to call the US from the DR on a cell phone or home phone? And does anyone know any cheap or moderately priced calling cards my family and friends can use to call me when I live in the DR? Or calling plans from major telephone companies?

Hey there, I am writing you from NYC and the best way i know how to call DR is via phone cards. I dont know if you have access to this particualr card, but everytime i use it to call a DR Home phone it lasts over 3 hours for a $5. as a matter of fact i think it is timed at tops: 3 hours 41 minutes
card is called: N.Y. Central
issuer: STi Communications
Customer service: 800 208 0967

hope that helps! :p

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
If you have a computer, download skype. All you need is a headset and you can talk as long as you want, computer to computer, for free. If you want to call a real phone, you set up an account and call the phone from your computer for 10 cents a min. US. It's what we do and it works ok for us.

gamana

Apr 24, 2006
yes Skype is the way to go. If you have Macs, use Ichat, even better than Skype. Keep in mind that both will require sufficient bandwith, especially for uploading.

Russian

Aug 27, 2004
www.partbeamsystech.com
Skype Skype and again Skype. True, you have to have broadband connection ("flash" in local terms), but if you spend on the phone hour or so a day then free PC-to-PC calls and VERY low PC-to-phone rates make Skype very economical.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Hey there, I am writing you from NYC and the best way i know how to call DR is via phone cards. I dont know if you have access to this particualr card, but everytime i use it to call a DR Home phone it lasts over 3 hours for a $5. as a matter of fact i think it is timed at tops: 3 hours 41 minutes
card is called: N.Y. Central
issuer: STi Communications
Customer service: 800 208 0967

hope that helps! :p

I can vouch for N.Y. Central, its one of the best, but I just came across a brand new card called "Best World" issuer is JTI. A $5 card will get you over 250 minutes to a Dominican land line and 70 minutes to a Cell Phone. Now here's the kicker I called a cell number with a "829" area code and received 250 minutes, wow! I wonder how long that's going to last for.

suitelady79

Sep 20, 2006
I use a MCI International Prepaid phone card and have been getting .10/minute to call a DR cell phone. I think thats pretty good considering. There are no connection fees or any additional fees. So if your family decides not to go with Skype or needs to reach you when you are away from your computer, I think this card is good. You can renew it over the phone with 0 hassle.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Voipstunt - The Other Free* Calls Company
it uses skype servers to make calls to DR. A land line to DR will cost 3 cents (euros). All calls to USA and to western Europe (land lines) are free for the first 3 months.
You deposit 10 euros through your credit card (around 10 bucks USA). Now you can make calls for months and still have money left over.
AZB

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
two things

for computer-computer conversations i use skype. just need headphones/microphone and you can talk. free!
but to talk to landline in europe i use inphonex. it works with the internet and telephone line thou you do not have to have your computer on to use a phone. you can have either pre-paid credit or a calling plan. i think it costs around 25 bucks a month and you have unlimited calls to usa and canada plus a number in the usa, so your family can call you paying local rates.
for a long term this is the best solution, i think.
you'd have to buy and install the box but then you can use it anytime and take it with you wherever you may move.
VoIP Service Providers, free Internet Telephony unlimited VoIP Phone Calls
that's their website.
welcome to DR.

cdi_747

Nov 29, 2006

Great News! I called to a VOIP company called sunrocket. (sunrocket.com) with this service you must have the internet in the DR (or where ever else you are in the world) to connect to to use the phone but......say for instance if you live in cleveland, ohio (area code 216) when you get the phone shipped to you in cleveland it is programmed with 216 for cleveland usage. if you take the phone with you to another country, when you hook it to the internet for voip the phone only knows it's programmed for 216 (local calls) so when you make a call to your home area it just another local call.

cdi

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
We use Vonage. You need a US address for billing purposes, and high speed internet service here in the DR. You can call anywhere in the US, Canada, PR, most of Europe for $24 a month. You also keep your US phone number so everyone back home can call as if they you were still in the US. I know my mom calls every couple of days even from her cell phone.

Bob K

BrookRobyn

Mar 3, 2007
I am coming to Punta Cana on vacation and will need to call home from the resort (Iberostar Bavaro). What is the best/cheapest way to call my kids while I'm on vacation? I've heard calling cards vs. my Verizon wireless phone, but that I will need to find a payphone because calling from the room is expensive. Should I buy a calling card here (US) before I leave or when I get to DR? And what brand should I buy? Thanks for your help!

Comedreja

Dec 27, 2006

I bought Skype wifi phones to keep in touch with my family in the states. For only $70/year I can make unlimited calls to the states and Canada, which also includes voicemail, and a US or Canada phone #. I have a local # that my family and friends can call me on. You can make calls around the DR also, but it will cost extra, I think 8 cents landline and 13 cents to cell phones. However, you can call anyone anywhere in the world if they are using the skype service. The catch is that I need high speed internet access in order to use the phone. I keep imaging myself running down to a local hotspot in order to make calls, but you really can't beat the price, and alll the more reason to make sure you live somewhere highspeed internet access is available. The phone works like a laptop computer. You just search for open networks or type in a password to access a known one. I thought about vonage because I can keep the same phone #, but it is really the same service after that for 7 times the price. Good luck,
-Weasel G

Skype Phone - Skype Headset - Skype Web Cam - Skype WiFi Phone - Accessories

Gaia

Jul 4, 2009
Skype. Skype. Skype. We live in the DR and purchased a skype phone number so people can call us from anywhere, even if they don't have skype. We got a number for our home city, so that most of the people who call us are just making a local call. When we call the US, it's something like .012 per minute - can't beat that.

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Skype. Skype. Skype. We live in the DR and purchased a skype phone number so people can call us from anywhere, even if they don't have skype. We got a number for our home city, so that most of the people who call us are just making a local call. When we call the US, it's something like .012 per minute - can't beat that.

Where or how can you purchase a skype phone?