Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Calls between US and DR...cheapest way to call

I am still considering moving to the DR in a few months and my family and friends are wondering what the best way to stay in touch with me is.

How much does is cost to call the US from the DR on a cell phone or home phone? And does anyone know any cheap or moderately priced calling cards my family and friends can use to call me when I live in the DR? Or calling plans from major telephone companies?

Anyone have an info on this topic??? Thanks....

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Calling Card!

Quote Originally Posted by holita View Post
    I am still considering moving to the DR in a few months and my family and friends are wondering what the best way to stay in touch with me is.

How much does is cost to call the US from the DR on a cell phone or home phone? And does anyone know any cheap or moderately priced calling cards my family and friends can use to call me when I live in the DR? Or calling plans from major telephone companies?

Anyone have an info on this topic??? Thanks....
    Hey there, I am writing you from NYC and the best way i know how to call DR is via phone cards. I dont know if you have access to this particualr card, but everytime i use it to call a DR Home phone it lasts over 3 hours for a $5. as a matter of fact i think it is timed at tops: 3 hours 41 minutes
    card is called: N.Y. Central
    issuer: STi Communications
    Customer service: 800 208 0967

hope that helps!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default oops forgot!

that same $5 card only lasts about 1 hour 21 minutes to a cell phone....i would stick to calling a land line/HOME PHONE!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

If you have a computer, download skype. All you need is a headset and you can talk as long as you want, computer to computer, for free. If you want to call a real phone, you set up an account and call the phone from your computer for 10 cents a min. US. It's what we do and it works ok for us.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

yes Skype is the way to go. If you have Macs, use Ichat, even better than Skype. Keep in mind that both will require sufficient bandwith, especially for uploading.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Skype Skype and again Skype. True, you have to have broadband connection ("flash" in local terms), but if you spend on the phone hour or so a day then free PC-to-PC calls and VERY low PC-to-phone rates make Skype very economical.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by jalencastro View Post
    Hey there, I am writing you from NYC and the best way i know how to call DR is via phone cards. I dont know if you have access to this particualr card, but everytime i use it to call a DR Home phone it lasts over 3 hours for a $5. as a matter of fact i think it is timed at tops: 3 hours 41 minutes
    card is called: N.Y. Central
    issuer: STi Communications
    Customer service: 800 208 0967

hope that helps!
    I can vouch for N.Y. Central, its one of the best, but I just came across a brand new card called "Best World" issuer is JTI. A $5 card will get you over 250 minutes to a Dominican land line and 70 minutes to a Cell Phone. Now here's the kicker I called a cell number with a "829" area code and received 250 minutes, wow! I wonder how long that's going to last for.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a MCI International Prepaid phone card and have been getting .10/minute to call a DR cell phone. I think thats pretty good considering. There are no connection fees or any additional fees. So if your family decides not to go with Skype or needs to reach you when you are away from your computer, I think this card is good. You can renew it over the phone with 0 hassle.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Voipstunt - The Other Free* Calls Company
    it uses skype servers to make calls to DR. A land line to DR will cost 3 cents (euros). All calls to USA and to western Europe (land lines) are free for the first 3 months.
    You deposit 10 euros through your credit card (around 10 bucks USA). Now you can make calls for months and still have money left over.
    AZB

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile two things

for computer-computer conversations i use skype. just need headphones/microphone and you can talk. free!
    but to talk to landline in europe i use inphonex. it works with the internet and telephone line thou you do not have to have your computer on to use a phone. you can have either pre-paid credit or a calling plan. i think it costs around 25 bucks a month and you have unlimited calls to usa and canada plus a number in the usa, so your family can call you paying local rates.
    for a long term this is the best solution, i think.
    you'd have to buy and install the box but then you can use it anytime and take it with you wherever you may move.
    VoIP Service Providers, free Internet Telephony unlimited VoIP Phone Calls
    that's their website.
    welcome to DR.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast