Moving to Sosua/Cabarete! Help Wanted :o)

proudpeace

May 22, 2006
Hi Guys,

We (myself, husband and 2 kids 3 & 7) are hoping to move to Sosua/Cabarete some time in the New Year. We are planning on renting a property first and then maybe buy something.

I am wondering about employment, my husband is a Wagon/Lorry/Truck driver and is wondering about maybe driving coaches or doing something with the tour companies etc (open to suggestions). I am trying to find out whether or not he would need a special licence to drive the coaches, monster trucks etc.

I am hoping to continue with being a Medical Transcriptionist and work from hope or maybe get something local, I can type at approximately 65wpm and can take shorthand at 80wpm. I am totally efficient with computers and am good with people. I would love to work at Ocean World and tain their dolphins. I am sure though that I need a degree in biology though lol - I can dream!

We are open to any advice on offer.

Thank you for all your help

Debs

(any typing errors and I apologise, but have cat and laptop on my knee/chest!) lol :laugh:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
If you're wanting to make a living in Sosua/Cabarete by working in the local economy, I would suggest you really rethink your plan. Also, please read the employment forum thoroughly. It will give you an idea of local working conditions.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
First off your husband would have to kill a few of the local lorry drivers to get a chance.....Unless you have some exceptional skills, drivers here are a tuppence a dozen.
We have exported drivers to Iraq.....

As a medical transcriptionist? That is funny!! I do not think they exist here! Can someone tell her if they do or don't???

PLease, rethink your plans......

HB

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
You either move here with enough money to live off, or a steady income from your country of origin. There have been youngsters who have come in with very little cash (enough to survive 3 months) and have slept on other people's floors when that ran out and they couldn't find work which paid enough to live off......and good luck to them because they are at the age when what matters is the adventure not the discomfort. But you wouldn't want to do that with 2 children.

If you have sufficient money to live off and are merely looking for things to do to fill your time, the first discovery is that everything takes longer here so the normal tasks of everyday living will fill the days quite fully for the first few months. Then there is plenty of voluntary work you can do, unpaid of course, but needed.

But making a living here is of an entirely different order. Difficult enough for those who are well established and have been here a long time. There is a high level of unemployment among Dominicans and 40% live below the poverty line (probably a higher percentage now).

proudpeace

May 22, 2006
Hi,

Thanks all!

Especially thanks for the advice with regards to driving! Please note this information is exactly what we are after and exactly the reason we have not just sold up and moved over there!

With regards to Medical Transcriptionist, I am hoping to work over the internet, probably with an American company. This job can be done from anywhere!

We are after as much information as possible before making any definate steps.

Once again, thanks for all your advice!
Debs xx

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Think Twice

... we have not just sold up and moved over there!....

That's good.

So far you have asked similar questions several times (May, August, now).
However, things haven't changed here.
As you may not have enough money, as correctly being suggested is necessary for a new start here, (your mortgage question) please reconsider your ideas (for the sake of your children).
You will NOT earn sufficient money here to lead a decent life.

m'frog

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
It's A Nice Fantasy but...

Sosua/Caberate...listen up...I can't even afford to live there. I live in Santiago. We have one child and another on the way. In the last few years my monthly expenses went from about 1400 to 2400USD. Sosua/Caberate is more expensive and would not be possible for me. Okay, okay...this isn't about me. My point is that you arent going to come here and work and make it. First off, they will not pay jack. Second, employment will not be easy to come by. Third, living here and an occasional vacation here are two different things all together. Fourth, you will end up killing your kids trying to make this a comfortable place and not having the money to make it happen. So, save yourself a lot of headaches...believe me...there are plenty...and stay where you are....save your money....and take an occasional vacation to some hot sunny place just to kick off the snowflakes. You may not believe it but I'm trying to save you a lot of money and headaches.

Now, just in case this is seen as being negative on the country...it isn't. It works for some and for others it does not. If you have the money to make it work then go for it. But this person most probably does not. So let's do the right thing and help them to avoid a disaster.

proudpeace

May 22, 2006
Thanks for all your answers and suggestions! Things change all the time Mountainfrog hence the repeat optimism and Lambada - you make optimism sound like a bad thing!

Once again thanks for all your help

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Things change all the time Mountainfrog hence the repeat optimism and Lambada - you make optimism sound like a bad thing!

Optimism + knowledge + realism = good thing

Optimism + knowledge + realism + being able to understand that Mountainfrog already said that the things you asked hadn't changed = even better