Unlocking T-mobile phone

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
This may have been answered before but I can't find it. Does any one know where in the Sosua area I can get one of my US T-Mobile phones unlocked so I can use an Orange service plan. I went to the Orange office today in sosua and they had no idea. I was told in the US that it could be unlocked by Orange in the DR. So can it. It is a blackberry and we use it as PDA as well. Thank.

Bob K

vince1956

On Vacation!
May 24, 2006
Bob This Any Help

This may have been answered before but I can't find it. Does any one know where in the Sosua area I can get one of my US T-Mobile phones unlocked so I can use an Orange service plan. I went to the Orange office today in sosua and they had no idea. I was told in the US that it could be unlocked by Orange in the DR. So can it. It is a blackberry and we use it as PDA as well. Thank.

Bob K

http://www.dr1.com/forums/travel-questions/48529-cell-phones.html#post379842

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
T-Mobile uses the same system as Orange. I have used two ex-T-Mobile phones with Orange.

Did you give them the phone and ask them to unlock it or did you ask them about unlocking T-Mobile phones? If the latter, I would take it back and just ask them to unlock it and make it an Orange phone.

on the side entrance to the same plaza, the entry more or less across from Property Center, there is a sign Desbloqueado and an error point to a busines nearby. Check that out, also, if you have no luck with Orange. But Orange should be able to do it.

gamana

Apr 24, 2006
if Orange is still unable to help, as long as you have been a customer of T-mobile for at least two years, thye will unlock your phone - no question asked.
You will have ot call them though (they have an international toll free number) and ask them to unlock. They'll send you an email within few hours with instrucions and unlocking pin.
my recommendation: unlock all devices right away when you get them so you don't have to worry about it in the future while traveling.

Russian

Aug 27, 2004
www.partbeamsystech.com
Can't give specific advice on Sosua, but check out small "desbloqueado" places.

Orange on SanVicente in Santo Domingo requested RD2,500 to unlock my old Samsung phone and put it into pre-paid service, in the end muchacho from a small shack in Las Mameyes did the job for RD$300.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
try the AR TEL shop on the street with the new stoplight....across from the gas station (the main turn into Sosua from the highway) They'll unlock it for 300 pesos.

wight-boy

Nov 6, 2003
Admittedly I'm not 100% sure that the people the Orange Shop in sosua use will be unable to unlock it. It is possible on of the small telecoms shops can if they have the correct clip. If you have had it long enough T-Mobile are obliged to unlock it for you with a code over the telephone. If all else fails it can be done with a code purchased from ebay or many online stores. I unfortunately don't have a compatible clip for unlocking blackberries sorry!

search "blackberry remote unlocking" in google if all else fails, this will give you numerous places that sell the codes. look around, its possible for 15-20 $US
Jon

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Jon,
Thanks, I am going to try the Orange store (repair center) in POP first. The local shops seem to think that they can do it there. If not I will do the search that you suggested.

Bob K

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
I get phones unlocked in the DR (Sosua, Cabarete and POP) all the time. The standard price is 300-350 pesos. That's around $10... no one in the states (except T-Mobile, cingular, etc for their clients) does it for less...if it only needs a code (many Nokias and Samsungs, but *not* Motorolas) you can often find them for free by googling the model number and "free unlock code".

leromero

Bronze
May 30, 2004
web.mac.com
A T-Mobile rep should be able to unlock the phone by sending a signal to the blackberry. Not exactly sure how they do this, but I had it done a couple of months back when I was having problems.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Unlocked

Wight-boy and others,
Thank you all. We have had the phones unlocked and did it online. We used Unique Phones - Unlock Your Blackberry Mobile Phone and had no problem. Cost was $25 and was done in 10 minutes. We could not use T-mobile directly as we still had time left on our US contract with them and they would not unlock a phone that was still under contract. We got our orange service the next day and have had no problems. So again thank you all for your advice, but the easiest and most cost effective way was on line.

Bob K

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
I know this information is old but if anybody reads it now they will know for the future-- call T-mobile about 1 week before you travel. They will e mail you a code to unlock your phone. Follow the directions and your phone will accept the chip!-- All for free!!!

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
Orange office - shop, POP - near Post Office

* I had the same situation 2 - 3 years ago; I visited the Orange repair shop, @ the corner from the POP P O, 1 /2 block off 12 de Julio; a young technician unlocked my Samsung phone & inerted my Orange chip - 500 P. Don't bother visiting the Orange sales booths - they seem to be on every 3rd street corner
* Now? I use it in the DR &/or the USA by simply swapping the T-Mobile & Orange chips; it works perfectly in both countries. No need for additional 'unlocking' in either country. I bought the Samsung phone @ Wal Marts for @ $75, with 1000 - 1500 free T-Mobile minutes. The sales people at Wal Mart's seem very knowledgeable @ cell phones; the prices are rock bottom.
* Good luck

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
We did try the direct way with T-mobile. However since we were under a one year contract they would not unlock it until that year was up with out charging me for the phone and year contract etc. So we had to go the internet route. They told us that if we were beyond the year (contract length) they would have unlocked it for us for free.

Bob K

E-Inc

Feb 11, 2005
T-Mobile in DR

Your stateside T-Mobile phone will work with the Orange Network in DR. The only catch is that your "international features" need to be enabled on your phone and you can do so by calling T-Mobile. I use a blackberry as well and should caution you about the data costs while in DR. It costs about $15.00 for each MB of data. I usually stop having my personal emails pushed to the device while in the DR and I dont do any web browsing at all.

As for unlocking your phone for free, simply call T-Mobile and they will submit a request and within 48 hours your phone will be unlocked and you will be able to use any SIM card with your device.

Maggie6872

Jul 18, 2005
after calling T-Mobile about 10 times to get it unlocked and 2 visits back and forth to the US (not just for the phone issue)....I finally paid to get it unlocked....

If you face the Orange Store in Sosua--the left is the street.. to the right of the Orange store there is an open plaza walk the 15 feet across the plaza, walk along these stores to the left, probably the 4th store to your left will be a "CELL CENTER" with a picture of a cell phone on the door.

Luis does "desbloqueos" (unlocks) for 300-500 pesos depending on your phone. Make sure your phone is charged up, it takes about 30 minutes at most.

Then you can take your phone to the Orange store to get the SIM card.
Activations right now take about a day, since a lot of people got phones over Christmas, usually they only take about an hour or so.

Last edited:

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
Make sure you give them (T-mobile) more than 48 hours notice! The last time I went for a week. Two days after I got back and a $158 phone bill later.......my phone was finally unlocked!

sujith34

Aug 6, 2011

Bob K

Hi,there are many ways of unlocking like hardware/software unlocking,cable unlocking,remote unlocking and unlocking via codes..the best and safe way of unlocking is by unlock codes..you can try Simpleunlocking.com to get unlock code for your Blackberry to get it unlocked..

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Hi,there are many ways of unlocking like hardware/software unlocking,cable unlocking,remote unlocking and unlocking via codes..the best and safe way of unlocking is by unlock codes..you can try Simpleunlocking.com to get unlock code for your Blackberry to get it unlocked..

I'm sure your advice is sound and valuable... but you do realize you're posting on a thread from 2006, right???