airport taxes

Adi

Nov 17, 2006
Does anyone know where I can find a list of the taxes that you might pay for bringing in a telvision into the country for personal use? (In your luggage )

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
No site

Does anyone know where I can find a list of the taxes that you might pay for bringing in a telvision into the country for personal use? (In your luggage )

Sorry, however there are no 'official' web sites that give you the tax rates on electronics.

Your having to pay tax depends on several factors:

1. What airport you are flying in to.

2. How good is your Spanish?

3. Are you accustomed to 'tipping' the customs officer?

I just came in through Santiago airport and they now have a procedure that all bags are x-rayed AFTER you leave the arrivals area. I had a 25 inch LCD T.V. that I bought at Bestbuy before leaving for $300.00. I also had 3 computers and every other electronic device you can think of, long story short I ended up 'giving' the T.V. to the customs boss and going about my business.

IF you come throught Puerto Plata the chances that you'll be stopped are very minimal and if you do get stopped 500 Pesos will go a long way.

The same is true in Punta Cana however I have not flown in and out of Santo Domingo or La Romana.

Good luck!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
long story short I ended up 'giving' the T.V. to the customs boss and going about my business.

Pity... the local wisdom has it that our friend Hillbilly has undue influence at the Santiago airport. :laugh: If ever they mess with me there, Hillbilly is the person, the man on the spot to contact.

Mike Freeman

Jun 21, 2006
Airport question

Related question hopefully it belongs in this thread.

If you purchase a bottle of liquor at the duty free shop in POP (after going through POP security) do you have to put it in your luggage when you get to ATL?

We went through immigration and then got our bags and went through customs. Then we went through security again in ATL. If we were carrying the bottle would it get confiscated or does the duty free shop put some kind of seal identifying it?

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Items

Items purchased in Duty Free accompanied by a receipt should not be confiscated at point of origin or destination so long as they are within the
volume limits allowed into destination country. Should not does not mean cannot when dealing with gov't schmucks. Should be fine though.