Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cofresi attack

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cofresi attack

Hello,

I have posted maybe once or twice on this board but read it often. I have a home in Cofresi and was going down to install a phone line and internet. On the third night of my trip at three thiry in the morning I heard shuffling on the stairs. I looked up to see a man with a large knife in the doorway. I screamed as loud as I could and he attacked.

The knife struck right above my eye on my eyebrow. He and I then fell to the ground. I was on my back and he was behind me, with the knife in his left hand. As we stuggled, I continued to scream and he shoved his hand down my mouth and throat. I bit down and he retracted his hand then put it back down my throat I assume to choke me or to pull my head back and slit my throat. I realized only then that if I didn't fight as hard as possible that I would be dead. I bit down once more and with my other hands I managed to pry the knife from his hand. I then swung it wildly behind me and slashed his forehead.

After this, he retracted his hand and I slashed his hand and down his wrist slitting his main artery. I then pushed my leg against our sliding glass door, twisted and plunged the knife into his thigh. He then managed to get up and flee. I was partly tangled in the drapes I had torn down but after he left the room, I ran, closed the door and locked it because I had fear that there was a second man in the house.

I then went outside and yelled to my guard from the balcony that there was a robber in the house that had tried to kill me. He could not, however, get into the house because a door to the garage that leads up the stairs which is never closed but was locked tonight blocked his entry. I had made duplicates of all my keys the day of the attack and was testing all of the keys and probably locked the door not thinking that anything like this would happen.

I then went to the hospital and was lucky to have only ten stitches put in on my eyebrow. I was also lucky to have woken up to see him before his attack. Finally I was lucky to be a twenty five year old man and able to overpower him after the initial attack. If it was my mother, father, or sister, they would have been dead.

I read a lot of people saying that the vicitims had it coming to them but I had never gone out any of the nights I had been in Cofresi. I went to the beach alone during the day to swim but only for a few hours. I was there only to install the lines for the home and relax. I had no arguments with locals nor long conversations with anybody. Somebody must have just seen that I was alone and therefore a target. I read about these incidents ocurring in Puerto Plata, Sosua, and Cabarete but thought that Cofresi was relatively safe.

I don't have much faith in the police doing anything about this incident. The attacker, however, is extremely injured. He lost a lot of blood as indicated by the trail of blood he left behind. If he doesn't get to a clinic I believe he will die.

Please for anyone travelling to the country be very careful. This can happen anywhere in the country and to anybody.

gary short

Well the good news is that you survived a vicious attack by overpowering the bad guy. The bad news is that that was the area I was planning to buy in.

I love Rocky's Ribs!
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by kirkland1222 View Post
    Hello,

I have posted maybe once or twice on this board but read it often. I have a home in Cofresi and was going down to install a phone line and internet. On the third night of my trip at three thiry in the morning I heard shuffling on the stairs. I looked up to see a man with a large knife in the doorway. I screamed as loud as I could and he attacked.

The knife struck right above my eye on my eyebrow. He and I then fell to the ground. I was on my back and he was behind me, with the knife in his left hand. As we stuggled, I continued to scream and he shoved his hand down my mouth and throat. I bit down and he retracted his hand then put it back down my throat I assume to choke me or to pull my head back and slit my throat. I realized only then that if I didn't fight as hard as possible that I would be dead. I bit down once more and with my other hands I managed to pry the knife from his hand. I then swung it wildly behind me and slashed his forehead.

After this, he retracted his hand and I slashed his hand and down his wrist slitting his main artery. I then pushed my leg against our sliding glass door, twisted and plunged the knife into his thigh. He then managed to get up and flee. I was partly tangled in the drapes I had torn down but after he left the room, I ran, closed the door and locked it because I had fear that there was a second man in the house.

I then went outside and yelled to my guard from the balcony that there was a robber in the house that had tried to kill me. He could not, however, get into the house because a door to the garage that leads up the stairs which is never closed but was locked tonight blocked his entry. I had made duplicates of all my keys the day of the attack and was testing all of the keys and probably locked the door not thinking that anything like this would happen.

I then went to the hospital and was lucky to have only ten stitches put in on my eyebrow. I was also lucky to have woken up to see him before his attack. Finally I was lucky to be a twenty five year old man and able to overpower him after the initial attack. If it was my mother, father, or sister, they would have been dead.

I read a lot of people saying that the vicitims had it coming to them but I had never gone out any of the nights I had been in Cofresi. I went to the beach alone during the day to swim but only for a few hours. I was there only to install the lines for the home and relax. I had no arguments with locals nor long conversations with anybody. Somebody must have just seen that I was alone and therefore a target. I read about these incidents ocurring in Puerto Plata, Sosua, and Cabarete but thought that Cofresi was relatively safe.

I don't have much faith in the police doing anything about this incident. The attacker, however, is extremely injured. He lost a lot of blood as indicated by the trail of blood he left behind. If he doesn't get to a clinic I believe he will die.

Please for anyone travelling to the country be very careful. This can happen anywhere in the country and to anybody.

WHAT IS HAPPENING IN THE DR?????
    Gosh is this sh*t going to slow down anytime soon?
    Seems every week there is another one.
    Maybe it's time to sell.
    Glad you are alright, kinda' hope the attacker isn't alright.
    Steve

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I am glad that you are okay.

Did the police look for the guy?

People like that deserve no mercy and hopefully karma will take care of that lowlife scum.

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank heavens you are okay!
    Did you file a police report? Seems to me that someone with such wounds would be easy to find as he must have needed medical attention.
    Then again the police would need to want to find him.
    If I didn't already have my tickets for this years' stay I might think twice about a long term visit!

gary short

Wow what an ordeal......and totally random or what. Very scary. Do you think it was a premeditated ???

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad you're OK and congratulations for remembering in a very lucid way the order of events at such a traumatic time. Just one question if I may: you're Dominican, yes? If anything that should make you less of a target in the sense that you wouldn't stand out as much as a foreigner. Was anything said between you and the assailant either as he stood in the doorway or later? And how did you manage to see the knife in the doorway in the dark? Fortunately, it was obviously that excellent eyesight and your strength which saved your life.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Horrible experience, thank goodness you were able to overpower him.

Out of curiousity, did you determine where/how he gained entry? You note the guard couldn't get in when you called for help. Also, no mention of how your guard managed not to see him either enter or leave the house. A little suspicious.

While I'm at it, a little unfounded speculation - any chance the people who duplicated your key made an extra and knew where you lived?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a dreadful experience .. the kind that stays with you for a long time. It is a good thing that you're talking about it and I am glad that you are young, strong and OK.

My questions are ... did this happen now quite recently? and do you have friends or family around that can support you through this ordeal? I know there are good people in Cofresi. Have you reached out to neighbors and told the neighborhood around you? Also, I urge you to report the incident .. even though you don't feel anything will come of it.

Post Thanks / Like

All of the above!

I do hope the F'er dies, dies dies!! But you do need to report this attack to the police in order for him not to sue you!!

HB

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast