Cofresi attack

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirkland1222

Mar 9, 2005
Hello,

I have posted maybe once or twice on this board but read it often. I have a home in Cofresi and was going down to install a phone line and internet. On the third night of my trip at three thiry in the morning I heard shuffling on the stairs. I looked up to see a man with a large knife in the doorway. I screamed as loud as I could and he attacked.

The knife struck right above my eye on my eyebrow. He and I then fell to the ground. I was on my back and he was behind me, with the knife in his left hand. As we stuggled, I continued to scream and he shoved his hand down my mouth and throat. I bit down and he retracted his hand then put it back down my throat I assume to choke me or to pull my head back and slit my throat. I realized only then that if I didn't fight as hard as possible that I would be dead. I bit down once more and with my other hands I managed to pry the knife from his hand. I then swung it wildly behind me and slashed his forehead.

After this, he retracted his hand and I slashed his hand and down his wrist slitting his main artery. I then pushed my leg against our sliding glass door, twisted and plunged the knife into his thigh. He then managed to get up and flee. I was partly tangled in the drapes I had torn down but after he left the room, I ran, closed the door and locked it because I had fear that there was a second man in the house.

I then went outside and yelled to my guard from the balcony that there was a robber in the house that had tried to kill me. He could not, however, get into the house because a door to the garage that leads up the stairs which is never closed but was locked tonight blocked his entry. I had made duplicates of all my keys the day of the attack and was testing all of the keys and probably locked the door not thinking that anything like this would happen.

I then went to the hospital and was lucky to have only ten stitches put in on my eyebrow. I was also lucky to have woken up to see him before his attack. Finally I was lucky to be a twenty five year old man and able to overpower him after the initial attack. If it was my mother, father, or sister, they would have been dead.

I read a lot of people saying that the vicitims had it coming to them but I had never gone out any of the nights I had been in Cofresi. I went to the beach alone during the day to swim but only for a few hours. I was there only to install the lines for the home and relax. I had no arguments with locals nor long conversations with anybody. Somebody must have just seen that I was alone and therefore a target. I read about these incidents ocurring in Puerto Plata, Sosua, and Cabarete but thought that Cofresi was relatively safe.

I don't have much faith in the police doing anything about this incident. The attacker, however, is extremely injured. He lost a lot of blood as indicated by the trail of blood he left behind. If he doesn't get to a clinic I believe he will die.

Please for anyone travelling to the country be very careful. This can happen anywhere in the country and to anybody.

G

gary short

Well the good news is that you survived a vicious attack by overpowering the bad guy. The bad news is that that was the area I was planning to buy in.

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
Hello,

I have posted maybe once or twice on this board but read it often. I have a home in Cofresi and was going down to install a phone line and internet. On the third night of my trip at three thiry in the morning I heard shuffling on the stairs. I looked up to see a man with a large knife in the doorway. I screamed as loud as I could and he attacked.

The knife struck right above my eye on my eyebrow. He and I then fell to the ground. I was on my back and he was behind me, with the knife in his left hand. As we stuggled, I continued to scream and he shoved his hand down my mouth and throat. I bit down and he retracted his hand then put it back down my throat I assume to choke me or to pull my head back and slit my throat. I realized only then that if I didn't fight as hard as possible that I would be dead. I bit down once more and with my other hands I managed to pry the knife from his hand. I then swung it wildly behind me and slashed his forehead.

After this, he retracted his hand and I slashed his hand and down his wrist slitting his main artery. I then pushed my leg against our sliding glass door, twisted and plunged the knife into his thigh. He then managed to get up and flee. I was partly tangled in the drapes I had torn down but after he left the room, I ran, closed the door and locked it because I had fear that there was a second man in the house.

I then went outside and yelled to my guard from the balcony that there was a robber in the house that had tried to kill me. He could not, however, get into the house because a door to the garage that leads up the stairs which is never closed but was locked tonight blocked his entry. I had made duplicates of all my keys the day of the attack and was testing all of the keys and probably locked the door not thinking that anything like this would happen.

I then went to the hospital and was lucky to have only ten stitches put in on my eyebrow. I was also lucky to have woken up to see him before his attack. Finally I was lucky to be a twenty five year old man and able to overpower him after the initial attack. If it was my mother, father, or sister, they would have been dead.

I read a lot of people saying that the vicitims had it coming to them but I had never gone out any of the nights I had been in Cofresi. I went to the beach alone during the day to swim but only for a few hours. I was there only to install the lines for the home and relax. I had no arguments with locals nor long conversations with anybody. Somebody must have just seen that I was alone and therefore a target. I read about these incidents ocurring in Puerto Plata, Sosua, and Cabarete but thought that Cofresi was relatively safe.

I don't have much faith in the police doing anything about this incident. The attacker, however, is extremely injured. He lost a lot of blood as indicated by the trail of blood he left behind. If he doesn't get to a clinic I believe he will die.

Please for anyone travelling to the country be very careful. This can happen anywhere in the country and to anybody.

WHAT IS HAPPENING IN THE DR?????
Gosh is this sh*t going to slow down anytime soon?
Seems every week there is another one.
Maybe it's time to sell.
Glad you are alright, kinda' hope the attacker isn't alright.
Steve:disappoin

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Thank heavens you are okay!
Did you file a police report? Seems to me that someone with such wounds would be easy to find as he must have needed medical attention.
Then again the police would need to want to find him.
If I didn't already have my tickets for this years' stay I might think twice about a long term visit!

G

gary short

Wow what an ordeal......and totally random or what. Very scary. Do you think it was a premeditated ???

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Glad you're OK and congratulations for remembering in a very lucid way the order of events at such a traumatic time. Just one question if I may: you're Dominican, yes? If anything that should make you less of a target in the sense that you wouldn't stand out as much as a foreigner. Was anything said between you and the assailant either as he stood in the doorway or later? And how did you manage to see the knife in the doorway in the dark? Fortunately, it was obviously that excellent eyesight and your strength which saved your life.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Horrible experience, thank goodness you were able to overpower him.

Out of curiousity, did you determine where/how he gained entry? You note the guard couldn't get in when you called for help. Also, no mention of how your guard managed not to see him either enter or leave the house. A little suspicious.

While I'm at it, a little unfounded speculation - any chance the people who duplicated your key made an extra and knew where you lived?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
This is a dreadful experience .. the kind that stays with you for a long time. It is a good thing that you're talking about it and I am glad that you are young, strong and OK.

My questions are ... did this happen now quite recently? and do you have friends or family around that can support you through this ordeal? I know there are good people in Cofresi. Have you reached out to neighbors and told the neighborhood around you? Also, I urge you to report the incident .. even though you don't feel anything will come of it.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
All of the above!

I do hope the F'er dies, dies dies!! But you do need to report this attack to the police in order for him not to sue you!!

HB

Police report

Hillbilly is definitely correct as usual, you need to file a police report. Else the bad guy may sue you for the attack you layed on him out in the alley. You would have no evidence that it occurred in your home because you had everything cleaned up.

Wheteher you have any confidence that the police would find this guy is not the issue, at least a report is evidence that the attack happened in your home.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Congrats and Thanks

1) I'm eternally pleased that you survived, and grateful for what you have done for the rest of us.
The more we hurt the offenders, the scarier it will become for them, and the less they will have the balls to attack good decent people.

2) I don't think anyone has insinuated that victims of attacks had it coming to them. It has been pointed out that gringos who have disputes with locals, or appear very wealthy, or who do not take normal precautions, are at greater risk.

3) For those who think things are changing and the DR has become a dangerous place, think again.
The only thing that has really changed, is the media coverage.
Going back 10 years and more, I can relate experiences to you, no different than now.

4) I came here with my North American ideas and standards, unaware that the police and justice system were a joke, and unwilling to bend and adapt.
I had little money and needed to work, and I put myself at greater risk than most. Still being fairly young and capable, I was confident of my abilities and almost welcomed anyone who "dared" to f**k with me.
Yes, I know I'm stupid!

5) Withing months of moving here, I awoke to 2 burglars in my home, grabbed my Swahili hunting knife, chased them out, buck naked, almost grabbed the tailgate of their truck to jump in, but only got close enough to get the license plate.
After discovering what a useless bunch of dipsticks the cops were, I hired kids to work 8 hour shifts at major intersections, to watch for the vehicle.
Within 5 days, I had my man.
Upon getting him arrested, I discovered he was buddies with the cops, and all of a sudden, it was me who was in trouble, and I had to move and go on the run, as they came by my house with guns to get "rid of me".

6) I have many stories I could tell you, back in those days, but will not bore you with them.
The point is that nothing has changed. We have to take precautions, we need to be prepared, we have to keep low profiles, we have to resolve problems with locals, should the need occur, we must not flash our wealth, etc.

PS: Now that I have finally wised up a bit, I no longer have all the problems I had 15 years ago, and the DR is a safer place for me to live than anywhere, I can think of.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
kirkland1222, I am very sorry that this happened to you. I sincerely hope you recover quickly from this savage attack. Thank God for your strength and ability to get the knife from the thief and injure him. It should be noted that this happened despite the presence of a watchman on the property....How did he get in?... Do you have barred windows/doors....dogs?....If he survives, it is most likely he will be back, so you will have to be even more vigilant. This very nasty event emphasizes the fact that once inside, these scum become even more dangerous. All efforts must be made to scare them off before they have any chance to enter. Be aware that breakins can also happen during the day, sometimes by women, ostensibly looking for "work". Stay safe! Canadian Bob.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The point is that nothing has changed. We have to take precautions, we need to be prepared, we have to keep low profiles, we have to resolve problems with locals, should the need occur, we must not flash our wealth, etc.

PS: Now that I have finally wised up a bit, I no longer have all the problems I had 15 years ago, and the DR is a safer place for me to live than anywhere, I can think of.
As someone pondering "the move" in the next several months, please tell me the actual things/behaviors/attitudes you've developed to increase your personal safety and enjoyment of the DR.

I will never be seen as anything other than a Gringo because of my appearance. I could use some pointers about "fitting in".

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Yes, think again!

...For those who think things are changing and the DR has become a dangerous place, think again.
The only thing that has really changed, is the media coverage.
Going back 10 years and more, I can relate experiences to you, no different than now.

The media by far do not report all crime, in order not to jeopardize tourism and/or because of the unwillingness of the police to investigate.
In remote areas crime goes unnoticed.
(Let's see whether the above described attack will be found in the papers...)

Crime - especially with the readiness to use force and fire arms - has increased as arms and uniforms of the 'authorities' are marketed and the use of drugs is rampant.

m'frog

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Thieves do not like noise which allerts people in the vicinity and could cause them problems. Screaming is good, but most people just "freeze." My wife & I each always carry a "personal alarm" which gives off a 130 decibel scream (extremely loud!) when the cord is pulled. This scream persists until the 9v battery runs down (+-1/2hr) or until the shutoff probe is reinserted. These things are very small and easy to pocket. Physical confrontation of an attacker should be an absolutely last resort. Far better to scare him off....
I still have a number of these alarms and gift them to my friends.
If you are interested, PM me please. I am also prepared to visit houses on the north coast and suggest simple ways to upgrade security, based on my personal experience. If I can prevent only one robbery/attack, I'll be happy.
Canadian Bob.
From Canadian Bob.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Priorities

1) Learn the language
2) Learn to understand the Dominican culture, and be patient.
3) Avoid altercations as much as possible.
4) Leave the illusion that you are struggling to survive, financially speaking.
5) Secure your home premises.
6) Have tools with which to defend yourself
7) Have a defensive plan formed ahead of time.
8) Live in an area that is more secure than less.
9) Make friends with your neighbours, and look out for each other.
10) Excercise common sense.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Glad to hear you are okay. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

I think you have to invest in perimeter lighting and motion sensors that will give you a heads up while you are sleeping. Keep gun or machete near your bed and as this guy learned if you have to fight then fight to kill.

Just yesterday Dominican friend told that a week ago he was at a colmado in the campo. Some guy was in there and did not like the fact that my friend had on wet shorts and no shirt...he had been to river. They had words. The other guy quickly pulled a gun and put it to my friends head. My friend managed to get the gun from him but he told me that he immediately went to gun shop to make a purchase. He tells me he can get me a gun to use until I leave for the states. I am considering it. My friend tells me that the country is crazy now...that never would he had imagined that someone would pull a gun over words in broad daylight.

There is no denying the danger. To do so is to be misleading. The problem is not with the expats. The problem is with a society that is under intense pressure to survive under the weight of incredible inflation, a return to DR from USA of hardened criminals looking for a way to survive, lack of a system that protects (large and uncorrupt police force).

Is the problem masked under the prosperity of Fernando dominicans. Is Fernando out of touch or simply bullied by the elite into doing as he is told???

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Bob, I like that idea. I think you have to have alarms and noise devices. And weapons and lighting and friends in area.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
The media by far do not report all crime, in order not to jeopardize tourism and/or because of the unwillingness of the police to investigate.
In remote areas crime goes unnoticed.
(Let's see whether the above described attack will be found in the papers...)

Crime - especially with the readiness to use force and fire arms - has increased as arms and uniforms of the 'authorities' are marketed and the use of drugs is rampant.

m'frog

This is exactly what I think as well !!!

In Las Terrenas, I saw the evolution since 10 years, and I can tell you that the metamorphosis is VERY real... In the old days, you had some soft drug users, nowadays you have PLENTY of CRACK users... There has been a haitian sanky-panky murdered 3 or 4 days ago, when 2 thieves broke in his gringa's house. He defended himself and his gringa, they shot him twice, he's dead... Not a single line about it anywhere...

-Is it because the victim was haitian ???

-Is it because the victim was a sanky ?

Status
Not open for further replies.