Oh CANADA!! It's your turn!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Okay, eh? It's your turn to help me out.

For very good reasons, my son Marco wants to take his wife, and perhaps me and my wife (if she ever gets over her menopause!) to BC.

Apparently he saw something on television that attracted his attention. Mountains, snow, orcas...I do not know.

SO....

I was thinking....

If you could plan a 14-15 day vacation in January 2008 with an emphasis on BC, what would you do? Where would you go?

I had thought about that train ride across Canada....but where to get off and look around? In the winter?

Like, we do not have ANY winter clothes, so are there outfitters that can rent all that warm stuff?

Do I read as goofy as those people asking the same questions about the DR? Well, I don't know a whole lot about Canada, and this came outta the blue! Last night. So you guys, eh, have to help me.

Let me know what you think.

HB

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The train ride through the Rockies is awesome.
The cold is horrendous, once the journey is over.
The winter rain in the Vancouver area at that time of the year is cruel.
Never heard of renting clothes.
Perhaps some of our DR1 members in BC could assist in the clothing department.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Okay, eh? It's your turn to help me out.

For very good reasons, my son Marco wants to take his wife, and perhaps me and my wife (if she ever gets over her menopause!) to BC.

Apparently he saw something on television that attracted his attention. Mountains, snow, orcas...I do not know.

SO....

I was thinking....

If you could plan a 14-15 day vacation in January 2008 with an emphasis on BC, what would you do? Where would you go?

I had thought about that train ride across Canada....but where to get off and look around? In the winter?

Like, we do not have ANY winter clothes, so are there outfitters that can rent all that warm stuff?

Do I read as goofy as those people asking the same questions about the DR? Well, I don't know a whole lot about Canada, and this came outta the blue! Last night. So you guys, eh, have to help me.

Let me know what you think.

HB
Leaving the DR for Canada in January..... Snow, cold etc. That's the reason I spend winters here. Oh well, I'm sure there are members of DR1 from all the Provinces that will give you good suggestions. Renting warm clothes? I doubt it. You'll have to buy new stuff but for 15 days, bring long sleeve shirts and buy a pair of overshoes and a coat there. Maybe you can get a loaner. Try to convince your son to wait untill April. Still will see the snow etc. January just thinking of it makes me shiver....

miss j

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver BC is my hometown!

Be prepared for lots of rain and probably snow as well...you will definately need warm clothes. I don't know of anywhere you can rent warm clothes though...

Most of the "interesting" things to do in BC are near the coast....such as the whale watching and stuff like that. If I had to tell you two places in BC that are a must see, I would say...

Whistler mountain - a famous ski resort about 1.5 hours away from Vancouver. The 2010 Winter Olympics are going to be held there, so it's getting alot of publicity right now There is a really nice village there, with lots of shopping, restaurants, you can go snowboarding, skiing, it's beautiful in the winter.

Victoria - Our capital city, it's on an island, most people take the 2 hour ferry ride to get there from Vancouver, but you can also get there by bus, helicopter or airplane. There's lots of museums there...pretty quiet night life though

There's lots to do, it just depends on what you like...If you want to send me a PM I'd be glad to tell you more.

Audra

Bronze
Mar 19, 2006
If there was one place to visit in Canada in the winter it would be Vancouver BC. Lots to do and beautiful scenery. You'll need a togue eh!

Do it in the summer months and then on the train and do the ride across the nation...over 5500 kms of beautiful scenery. while Victoria and Vancouver and the Rockies are spectacular, a visit across the prairies into Ontario, Toronto, Niagara Falls is also spectacular then on to the East Coast for more spectacular scenery.
If you ever get into my neck off the wood the Hlywud Hovel is at your disposal Luis I have 3 bedrooms sitting vacant.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Luis,

Fly into Calgary and spend a few days there. See Banff, Lake Louise and the Columbia Icefield as well as eating some of the best steaks - Canadian western beef.

Banff Lake Louise Tourism
COLUMBIA ICEFIELD

As Marco says take the train through the Rockie and experience their true majesty as well as a trip through the Fraser River Canyon.

VIA Rail Canada

In BC, based in Vancouver, Whistler/Blackcomb is a winter paradise which beckons from the mountains North of this modern city. Gastown, Chinatown, Little Tokyo and Stanley Park are all well worth the time spent.

Tourism Whistler
Welcome to Gastown
Gastown Vancouver BC
Chinatown Vancouver
Vancouver Japanese Community
Stanley Park

A short bus/ferry trip will take you to Victoria the Provincial capital. The Royal BC Museum, Chinatown, lunch at a English pub on Douglas Street, high tea at the Empress Hotel, whale and or orca watching.

The Royal BC Museum
Chinatown, Victoria
Empress Hotel

BC and Western Canada is a great destination; but January. Oh well to each his own - LOL.

A little Googling to add to the start I've given you and your off to the races.

Enjoy.

Gregg

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
If there was one place to visit in Canada in the winter it would be Vancouver BC. Lots to do and beautiful scenery. You'll need a togue eh!
Do you mean touque? LOL

hat-velo-beeny.jpg

Gregg

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
Ontario, Yours to discover!!!

Toronto is Canada ;) .... lots to see and do in Ontario (Yours to discover!!!), restaurants, theaters, shopping, skiing, beautiful Niagra on the Lake, gateway to Montreal, NYC and Detroit, HOCKEY ... and don't forget that toque. After Ontario then head west to BC :)

hifiman

Jul 13, 2005
I agree with Fireguy, start of in Calgary and see Banff,Lake Louise the weather is colder but not as damp as Vancouver and if you want to ski Banff is world class.
The town of Banff is beautiful with lots of good restaurants.

Victoria is a beautiful city as well but I'm not sure how much there is to do in the winter.
hifiman

lonetraveller

Sep 4, 2006
winter in Canada???

I would suggest you do the train ride in summer. I live in Winnipeg (very cold here in Winter) and I visited Vancouver one winter thinking it would be warmer. Was I ever wrong! Even though the temp was warmer the dampness from all the rain was crazy! I was freezing. (winter in wpg can get as cold as
-40 degrees C to -50 degrees C with the windchill and I would have taken that anyday). But I must agree that Vancouver is very beautiful and there is a lot to see and do so if you are up for the weather it would be an amazing experience.

p.s. It is -4 degrees C in Winnipeg right now and we are saying what a beautiful day it is..LOL

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Take the Rocky Mountaineer from Calgary Rocky Mountains Luxury railtours Train tour Vancouver British Columbia Banff Calgary Alberta Sightseeing train trip package adventures and
Golf at Welcome to Crown Isle Resort & Golf Community Sometimes the temperature in January on Vancouver Island will be as high as 15-17 c, but although I am a native British Columbian, I wouldn't pick January as the month to visit. You could also visit Kelowna Welcome to the official site of Tourism Kelowna and the Kelowna Convention and Visitors Bureau in British Columbia where there a numerous wineries to visit and sample. Do not listen to SAD in Toronto, it is not the center of the universe, but the armpit of Canada.

abnor

Nov 7, 2006
Fireguy is right on. April would be a much better month. Unless the travellers are into trying winter sports. As for clothing. if you come in winter how about finding a friendly board member to take the group on a shopping trip to Value Village or a thrift shop at the entry point. P.S. we accept menopausal women in to the country....she can experience that everywhere!

sosuajames

Mar 8, 2005
if you make it out to the east coast, i'll loan you a hat and mits. bring your own cigars to canada otherwise your savings could be depleted on just a few cigars. mony#2=65$, cihiba esplendidos=120$. thats what they cost at our local shop. the chicas on richard street in vancouver are a must see.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Is it January 2007 or 2008????
I'm heading out to Calgary myself to celebrate the New Year!
And will be making a stop at Value Village for some long johns! :paranoid:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Long johns...? ah yes, I remember those! Eight winters in the tropics and fully intend to keep it that way for many more.