No Crime Today!

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I think it's very important to report crimes in this forum, especially crimes against visitors and expats as they are the primary types of people seeking information here. The downside is the possibility of giving the wrong impression about how safe, or unsafe, life is in the DR.

I just want to make the point that if everyone who had a beautiful crime-free day, or had heard of someone having a beautiful crime-free day in the DR, posted that information here, it would be a very long thread.

I work in NY and come to Sosua once a month to be with my family. When I'm in NY I hear and read mostly about the problems down there. When I'm down there, I have a wonderful, peaceful time. - D

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
Major crime wave to report ....

I'm sure someone spat a huge luggi on the sidewalk like seconds ago and as I'm typing this someone is pi$$ing on the street :ermm:

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Hmmm I've had an entire crime free week. And everyone I know was the same!

I think a thread of good news is a great idea!

Bear

Aug 15, 2006
Crime Free

Good idea. With all the reported problems I was wondering where my sanity
was when we made the decision in March of this year to retire here.
We had a small opportunity theft in the house during remodeling. Since then,
almost 7 months now, absolutely no problems. Knock on wood.
Bear

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
In 14 years all I've had stolen was the soft top off my old jeepeta when it was parked in the street when we lived in the centre of Puerto Plata (8 years ago) and the Dominican flag outside our old house got 'borrowed' the night before the 1996 elections and they forgot to return it. That's it! Sum total. Doesn't stop me being concerned about others though.

Oct 29, 2006
No crime Today!

We (my wife and I) have been to DR four times this year.

Twice in Santo Domingo, where we frequently strolled the Malecon and Ciudad Colonial without experiencing or seeing any crime and or incidents.

We also visited Juan Dolio without any problems whatsoever. I found this area very safe.

We were in the north twice. we did stay at Riu Bachata, however we made daily trips (sometimes twice a day) to visit places (restaurants and shops) in Puerto Plata, walked the streets and beach in Sosua, etc.

In our approximately 20 days (total days for all four trips) we can state that neither while walking or while riding a taxi, never experienced or saw any type of crime or misbehaviour by locals or tourists, except, of course, the normal aggressive style of street vendors.

What we did really see, in contrast with this topic, is the beautiful disposition and kindness of all dominicans we came across.

Rafael Rothschild

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
I just drove to Santiago, shopped, ate, bought food for 2 show shine kids and returned without seeing or being involved in a single crime.

Then again, last night when I was in Sosua Abajo dropping off a friend last night and I didn't see any crimes or even criminal types lurking around....

Maybe I should get really drunk, go to one of the tourist bars, pick up a prostitute and not pay her for her services. I wonder how long it'd take me to wittness a crime then?

B

batich

Removed by C.P.T.

Last edited:

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
Again, no crime

Went to Sosua beach this morning and laid in the sun, took a dip in the water and ate a little breakfast.

I report that no one was mugged, raped, robbed or even looked upset.

In my neighborhood children are playing, people are dancing, mothers are doing laundry, I smell Sunday dinner on the stove.... Norman Rockwell eat your heart out!

Mar 21, 2002
I am a Dominican and have never had a personal incidence with crime. I can also report that neither my parents, grandparents or anyone in my family has ever had any type of incidence involving theft, petty theft, kidnappings, slayings, terrorist bombings or anything else involving Kabul, Baghdad or Beirut style scenarios.

That's why I am shocked to hear of the crime occurring at our ex-pats. If they continue to be attacked by criminals in that fashion, the climate for tourism expansion is on unsteady ground.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
praise the day before the sunrise? why not?!

i have been ripped off by a taxi driver on my first trip here. apart from that - nothing bad has happened. no theft, except for ants nicking cats food from the bowl (smart creatures).

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
In the interset of full disclosure (as th OP) I didn't mean to imply that I have never witnessed crime in the DR. I've had my share of pilferage, and my novia's dirt poor Dominican family lives (and has committed) their fair share. But my day to day expierience there is one of peaceful tranqiuility; far from what you might assume from reading the crime reports - which are also very important.