question to all of you living in dr moving there soon

bugg-z

Nov 19, 2006
well i live in massachusetts for now and my parents are dominican and have decided to move there in about a year I'm 17 and have no money so I'm forced to go with them so what I want to kno is how is it over there?what's the thing to do over there? will i get the same tv channels i get here lol ?? I reallyt dont want to move there but i will have to just want to kno what to expect I hear there's no malls over there like there are here I went there when I was like 6 to my grandparents house and it was the most boring thing ever, they live in like the woods where the roads aren't even paved and there's no electricity and everyone drives a pickup truck. I want to kno what the main difference is from U.S and DR. someone give me the 411

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
All I can say is---

You're gonna be BORED to death!
Evidently, you haven't developed the habit of providing your own entertainment, what with malls, TV, Movies, etc.
My advise is to develop some sort of interests besides bding a 'couch potato" and open your mind to theworld through simple READING for the sake of reading. About all subjects.
The DR will provide you with the opportunity (because there aren't any entertainments here like in Mass.) to expand your mind and gain some knowledge other than "Street" stuff, which does NO-ONE any good.
If your parents move to Santiago or Santo Domingo, you'll have some of the entertainments you have been accustomed to; elsewhere, forget about it altogether. As to TV, if you like Novellas, you'll be in "hog-heaven" since there is little else available unless you happen to have a satillite dish and access to the channels offered by that medium. Direct TV and Dish TV are both available here, tho very expensive.
Good luck and be prepared for severe "culture shock".

Texas Bill

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Bugg-z,
Almost everyone on this board is a fan of the DR, so you should get some good answers. Texas Bill is perhaps trying to scare you a little. He scared me :)

To which city are you moving?
Male or female?
How is your spanish?
Will you be finished with high school? Planning to go to the university?
You like to go out and party with friends or tend to be a couch potato?
Mom and dad comfortable financially?

Answers to those questions should help us answer you.

bugg-z

Nov 19, 2006
Bugg-z,
Almost everyone on this board is a fan of the DR, so you should get some good answers. Texas Bill is perhaps trying to scare you a little. He scared me :)

To which city are you moving?
Male or female?
How is your spanish?
Will you be finished with high school? Planning to go to the university?
You like to go out and party with friends or tend to be a couch potato?
Mom and dad comfortable financially?

Answers to those questions should help us answer you.

dont kno what city
male
my spanish is pretty good speak it at home
im a softmore in high school right now and am not sure about college yet
i will definitely be going out although when i move there i will know noone but i will also on some days just stay home and relaxe
and yes they're doing alright

and damn bill did scare me a little

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Ok, Bugg-Z.
#1 You're a guy which makes it easier to go out without Mom & Dad flipping out.
#2 You speak Spanish.

Sounds to me like you're in for a pretty good time as long as you end up in or near Santo Domingo or Santiago. Puerto Plata wouldn't be too bad as it's a decent size city plus you have easy access to Sosua & Cabarete for recreation. If you're in the campos, life and keeping occupied could be more of a challenge :tired:

I suspect making friends will come easily both in your neighborhood and at school. If you like pretty Latin girls, you'll be in heaven. People are very social and like to go out and do things. It'll still be a struggle. My first few months in DR I was pretty homesick. But, after I learned my way around and how to enjoy myself in a new environment, I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Malls exist in the larger cities.
Most cable channels carry major U.S. networks.
Satellite tv gives you access to it all.
Middle/upper class kids will know all the tv shows you like.
They'll like the same music you do, but they'll probably introduce you to some new sounds, too. It's not all bachata, merengue, and salsa. You'll find a lot of reggaeton in the clubs, techno, and even raves on the weekends.
Major movies will hit the theaters, perhaps a little later than in U.S.
You can buy just about anything in DR that you can in the U.S., but it's usually more expensive.
Depending on where you live, there's high speed internet.
Cellular phone coverage is good. Text messaging is just as popular as in U.S.
You've got beaches, mountains, rivers and the cities to explore.

You'll likely end up inviting your friends from Massachusett's down... and they'll leave envious you're living on a Caribbean island.

When you're old enough to get out on your own, you might decide to head back to the U.S. for education or job opportunities, but I doubt you'll ever regret your time in DR. Look at it as an adventure, not punishment and you'll have a great time.

Remember, when you were there before you were only 6 years old...
and there are almost 3 million people that pay big money just to spend a week a year on the island.

Check out Bonche.com » to see some of the night life for young people. It includes photos & info on bars, restaurants, and concerts.

Last edited:

bugg-z

Nov 19, 2006
Ok, Bugg-Z.
#1 You're a guy which makes it easier to go out without Mom & Dad flipping out.
#2 You speak Spanish.

Sounds to me like you're in for a pretty good time as long as you end up in or near Santo Domingo or Santiago. Puerto Plata wouldn't be too bad as it's a decent size city plus you have easy access to Sosua & Cabarete for recreation. If you're in the campos, life and keeping occupied could be more of a challenge :tired:

I suspect making friends will come easily both in your neighborhood and at school. If you like pretty Latin girls, you'll be in heaven. People are very social and like to go out and do things. It'll still be a struggle. My first few months in DR I was pretty homesick. But, after I learned my way around and how to enjoy myself in a new environment, I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Malls exist in the larger cities.
Most cable channels carry major U.S. networks.
Satellite tv gives you access to it all.
Middle/upper class kids will know all the tv shows you like.
They'll like the same music you do, but they'll probably introduce you to some new sounds, too. It's not all bachata, merengue, and salsa. You'll find a lot of reggaeton in the clubs, techno, and even raves on the weekends.
Major movies will hit the theaters, perhaps a little later than in U.S.
You can buy just about anything in DR that you can in the U.S., but it's usually more expensive.
Depending on where you live, there's high speed internet.
Cellular phone coverage is good. Text messaging is just as popular as in U.S.
You've got beaches, mountains, rivers and the cities to explore.

You'll likely end up inviting your friends from Massachusett's down... and they'll leave envious you're living on a Caribbean island.

When you're old enough to get out on your own, you might decide to head back to the U.S. for education or job opportunities, but I doubt you'll ever regret your time in DR. Look at it as an adventure, not punishment and you'll have a great time.

Remember, when you were there before you were only 6 years old...
and there are almost 3 million people that pay big money just to spend a week a year on the island.

Check out Bonche.com ? to see some of the night life for young people. It includes photos & info on bars, restaurants, and concerts.

wow sounds like i wont be missing out on much good to know beig im not really shy but it'll take me time to get used to things thanx CFA123 btw how far of a drive is the capital from san francisco de macoris thats where my grandparents live and I'll most likely be going out there often.

vince1956

On Vacation!
May 24, 2006
Happpy Or Sad

well i live in massachusetts for now and my parents are dominican and have decided to move there in about a year I'm 17 and have no money so I'm forced to go with them so what I want to kno is how is it over there?what's the thing to do over there? will i get the same tv channels i get here lol ?? I reallyt dont want to move there but i will have to just want to kno what to expect I hear there's no malls over there like there are here I went there when I was like 6 to my grandparents house and it was the most boring thing ever, they live in like the woods where the roads aren't even paved and there's no electricity and everyone drives a pickup truck. I want to kno what the main difference is from U.S and DR. someone give me the 411

http://www.dr1.com/forums/polls/56209-happy-sad-dr.html

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
That's "sophomore" not "softmore" and if your Spanish is on par with your English, you are going to have some problems. You may think you are familiar with "Dominicanness" but let me tell you most Domincans from outside the country are like fish out of water. Thoroughly Americanized, and from the sound of your post and your activities, that would be you. If you are going to be spending lots of time in San Francisco de Macoris, prepared to be bored -- or become a drug dealer, because that and politics are the only action in that town. It is in the heart of a lowlying agricultural valley -- miles of farm fields in every direction.

There is one thing that will keep you occupied, if you cannot develop the kinds of skills that Texas Bill was talking about -- the women are sensationally beautiful and they are going to blow your teenage mind away. Be careful.

But keep an open mind. The truth is, this little island is a fascinating place, but you have to have lots of patience, an open mind, natural curiosity, and flexibility. You also have to sharpen your street wits, keep them honed. But young people down here know how to have a good time. Be outgoing, make friends, you will enjoy it.