Can you believe it?

leehall

Oct 24, 2006
So, there I was minding my own business driving from the capital to Puerto Plata on Friday night. A police search stopped me about 10pm outside of SD. Usual questions about pistols etc.. OK...for those here long enough, we all know what this is about, this time of year.

The Gun
I opened the glove box and gave him the gun which was separated from the magazine as per the 'rules'. He checked over my licences which also allow me to carry and then said that it was illegal to carry bullets in the cartridges and asked me to hold out my hand. He slowly and deliberately emptied the cartridge in my hand and put the pistol in his pocket and said I would have to go to the police station in the morning to collect it. Like bollocks would I.

The Car
Next my driving licence. I gave him my international license from the US. No valid here!!! Might have to take the car in as well until it could all be sorted out. So, I pulled out my DR Driving license and gave it to him. Next...registration. I pulled out the metricula and insurance.

At this point the Lt. looked very frustrated and still had my gun.

The Beer
Next point, the open bottle of beer between my legs. The bastard had me. Of course, the usual if I could help him out he may be able to help me blah, blah, blah. Of course, at this time of night, countless motorbikes are passing and swerving all of the place with bottles of brugal in their hand. Not to forget the 'tigre' vehicles with countless ladies in the front / back & top with cases of Presidente being shares out, all shouting word of encouragement.

Word of warning, if you don't want to pay a propina and are a foreigner. Make sure you are squeaky clean. It sounds bizarre, but Dominican friends quite happily pay all the time and pass over 100 or 200 pesos regularly, but I just can't bring myself to do it on the highway.

What has this country come to? Where no self-respecting citizen can take a leisurely drive without the worry of sipping a cold beer on a long, lonely highway. Time to start looking for another island?

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Time to start looking for another island?

In a few years - YES. LOL

That is an interesting experience. I've been stopped in the streets of Santiago and the cops always used the same line on me - "WE ARE HUNGRY, GIVE ME SOME MONEY TO BUY A PICA POLLO OR A HOT DOG" I don't hesitate. I give them 100 pesos on the spot! The most I've given is 200.

I know this is a little off topic here but has anyone ever been able to bribe an Amet?

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
paying the propina would have been the cheaper way out.
I was also stopped in sosua entrance. They asked for all the papers but I laughed it all off and soon I was let go. I only showed my license but they asked for all the papers and wanted to search the car. I took out my card told him I was a medico and had to attend a wedding. Then I cracked a joke and he let me go. Its all simple, I just don't know how people fall into problems. I have been stopped numerous times and this is the first time I actually showed him my license. I never show anything. Please folks, learn to speak spanish like dominicans and your life would become 100% easier.
AZB

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
eeech...

What has this country come to? Where no self-respecting citizen can take a leisurely drive without the worry of sipping a cold beer on a long, lonely highway. Time to start looking for another island?

dude, elswhere you'd get fined, or even arrested for drink-driving.
if you like to have a beer while driving a lonely highway this is a place to be.
;)

Estrella1

Jan 13, 2006
A cop from AMET stopped me yesterday morning in Puerto Plata. He asked me if I had my license, insurance,...I said "yes" with a big smile. He looked surprised at me and asked again "You really have an insurance"? Of course, I said and then he wanted to have a look at it. I don't know if lots of expats are driving without insurance, but mine was OK and he let me go without any other question. He was very nice and polite. Of course, I am a blond lady and speak Spanish as well as he does, it helps a lot. Usually when they stop me I make a big smile and they let me go immediately!
In August I had another experience : at the rotonda in Puerto Plata on a Sunday afternoon, another one of AMET stopped me : I was driving my German friend's car, she was in Germany at that time, I had no documents for matricula, insurance and I did not have my license with me, no revista either!!!! He told me I could not drive like this and went with me to the AMET cuartel. I had to leave the jeep there until I could come back with the revista and the insurance card. I refused to leave the keys and they did not insist. The next day I went back with the documents and they let me go without any problem. I know, I was really lucky!
I think that if you are friendly but firm, with a smile, and you speak Spanish you won't have lots of problems. In any case I would pay one peso!

leehall

Oct 24, 2006
So if you didn't pay, what happened?

I pulled out another card which belongs to of the key generals of the police force, whom he knew. I offered him my cell to call the number, however he was quite content.
The nice man even placed my bullets back in the clip and advised me to place the gun between my legs or close to hand for the long drive home :D

AZB - My Spanish is ok, I guess it's just one of those things that happen this
time of year! Like I said, my Dominican friends simply hand over a 100 or 200. My view is, that while that continues, it simply encourages the problem.