To O&C.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
O&C....No, I don't own a gun. We are waiting on my wifes appointment with embassy for visa which should come up around April of next year. If I have to stay this is what I would change.

1. I would learn to speak excellent spanish.
2. I would try to be more accepting of the cultural negatives. I would embrace certain aspects that I cannot change. AZB has done a very good job of this and has discussed this in several threads.
3. I would move to Constanza or some other area in the mountains for health purposes.
4. I would get my Cedula.
5. I would get a Gun. Why would I do this? Primarily because I have a wife and kids. If some goon does manage to enter my home at night, I want the edge of being able to grab my gun and shoot. There are a number of other situations where I could see possibly needing a gun to protect my family. But if I lived in the USA in a remote area, I would have several guns placed around the property. Homes in the USA do get entered and entire famililies killed. I believe that very quickly one can go from being safe to a position of extreme danger in a second. Once the situation has reached that point, it is to late to apply for a gun permit. You either have the gun or you don't. It can mean life or death. This guy who had to fight for his life...this could have easily went bad and he could be dead right now. Had he had a gun, it would have been a lot different. And the woman who experienced the guys walking over her dogs and coming in the home...a gun would have made a big difference. Cowering there in the bathroom with her kids...had they broke down the door what would have happened.

I am having brought from the USA...motion sensors to install on my front porch and in the downstairs portion of the house. I will sleep better.

O&C...you may be taking for granted your good fortune up to this point. I advise that you accept the fact that the country has changed in the last few years and you reevaluate your security plan. I wish you the best.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Our intention is to leave the DR and go to USA. However, it is not a sure thing right now. So I leave open the possibility that I may have to stay. As I said, if I stay then I will live in the highlands. Gotta get away from the heat. Arent you in the mountains?

Mar 21, 2002
Of course. No sauna effect in the summer months just crisp cool air with low humidity. I love it. If you get the urge to go to the beach, just drive there, about 4-6 hours away at a leisure pace. Move to a small town in the mountains and you'll live crime free. Some of these towns have one cop who is usually asleep in the "cuartel". Pine trees, oak trees, you'd think you weren't in the DR.

Hahaha, I like that, The Highlands----

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Of course. No sauna effect in the summer months just crisp cool air with low humidity. I love it. If you get the urge to go to the beach, just drive there, about 4-6 hours away at a leisure pace. Move to a small town in the mountains and you'll live crime free. Some of these towns have one cop who is usually asleep in the "cuartel". Pine trees, oak trees, you'd think you weren't in the DR.

Hahaha, I like that, The Highlands----

I agree with you OC, Im right at the top and I hardly ever see a motto conco. Bliss. Where are you situated, we may be distant neighbours.

Mar 21, 2002
Well right now I'm in Coral Gables, Fl. Over there I have a place in La Culata, Constanza for reference which is the closest town. La Culata is about 15 or 20 km. across winding roads high up. Also in Ocoa at a place called La Cienega which is the nearest. How about yourself? Where are you at?

Mar 21, 2002
Being attacked by criminals in The Highlands is comparable to the USA being invaded by Germany during WW2. How would they come across thousands of miles and successfully invade by land, bring reinforcements for those soldiers and all without the USA knowing. Roosevelt said it would be sheer folly. While they have easier pickings at nearby criminals would never venture this far. They'd be noticed in an instant as being outsiders, detained, questioned and dealt with either as friend or foe.

Status
Not open for further replies.