Pork Ribs - The Good Life

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Pork Ribs are one of those items that are relatively inexpensive here. As some of you may know I recently built a bbq out of a 55 gallon drum. I am currently experimenting with ribs to find an easy but excellent recipe.

I recently priced ribs in the states. They are about $5 to $6 per pound. You can get ribs here for 60 pesos per pound or less. That is $1.80 per pound. You want to be sure that you are getting fresh meat. Places may try to sell you older meat. You can usually tell by the color. The meat should have a nice slightly pink color to it. It should not be dark or green or slimy or smelly or dry. If you know meat then you know what to avoid.

My first batch: Cooked with my old grill......tough meat. But everyone ate them up. The grill was small and you had to cook directly over the fire.

My second batch using the new grill: I was going for tendor meat. I am probably overly concerned with how tough meat is here and I overdid trying to tenderize this batch. Left the ribs in a puree of pineapple, orange, and lemon...to long. Overnight. Now thinking they only need about three hours. Some portions of the ribs were excellent but some was to soft. The sauce that I used was a mix of bbq sauce, added honey, and sesame seeds. Sprinkling sesame seeds on at the end and placing over fire gave a nice touch. The sauce turned out great. Again, these ribs were consumed very quickly.

I'm thinking the third batch will be much better. Want to get this down in time for Christmas. Imagine about 20 pounds of ribs for about $35USD. The good life.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Here comes the rain parade.....
It's been my experience that you will not get "good" ribs for anything less than 75 pes plus, and when you do try to skimp, you will discover you actually get less meat per pound of purchase, buying the cheaper ribs.
When you consider that it takes 2 1/2 lbs to 3 lbs to a plate of nine 6 inch ribs, then it's not so darn cheap.
It's not as if you eat the bones, nor the fat that you trim off.
That being said, I guess it's not that expensive by world standards, but not what I would call cheap.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Are you sure you're buying by the pound and not by grams?

there's 454 grams in a pound. If so you're actually paying about $8 US a pound

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Rocky, you are the rib expert. I just have them cut the pig and tell them what part I want. I don't know how you determine a 75 peso rib from a 60 peso rib. They sell me the Back Ribs and Whole Spare Ribs at 60 pesos. Are you only purchasing Back Ribs from a supplier at 75? Someone said why don't you just buy Chuleta...you get more for your money. It is true you get more meat for your money but it isn't eating ribs. Ribs are a special treat. Now I wanted to ask you a question. I'm thinking that if I cook these for 4 hours in the grill...that I don't even need to be concerned about tenderizing them...what do yo think.

Here is a great website for ribs....
Pork Rib Selection & Preparation - The Virtual Weber Bullet

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Why not ask Marco his secret sauce recipe while you are at it?
I am sure he would love to share it with his closet million pals!

Tambo

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Rocky, I have read 1 pound per person which is about what I find us eating at a meal. Of course, there is bread and salad and corn and other items. I guess if you are eating only ribs then it could be 3 pounds. Still 120RD for 2 pounds of ribs....versus a cheap sandwich roadside for 100RD...there is no comparison.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Rocky, you are the rib expert. I just have them cut the pig and tell them what part I want. I don't know how you determine a 75 peso rib from a 60 peso rib. They sell me the Back Ribs and Whole Spare Ribs at 60 pesos. Are you only purchasing Back Ribs from a supplier at 75? Someone said why don't you just buy Chuleta...you get more for your money. It is true you get more meat for your money but it isn't eating ribs. Ribs are a special treat. Now I wanted to ask you a question. I'm thinking that if I cook these for 4 hours in the grill...that I don't even need to be concerned about tenderizing them...what do yo think.

Here is a great website for ribs....
Pork Rib Selection & Preparation - The Virtual Weber Bullet
Actually, am not an expert, although we have become proficient at establishing good contacts for having an all year supply of good ribs.
I agree with you that buying chops would be ridiculous.
Ribs are ribs and nothing can replace them.
Back to my expertise, or lack of.. I don't know much about other ways of cooking them, other than the way we do it, but I bet some of our Texan members have all the answers, so I'll defer to them.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Rocky, I have read 1 pound per person which is about what I find us eating at a meal. Of course, there is bread and salad and corn and other items. I guess if you are eating only ribs then it could be 3 pounds. Still 120RD for 2 pounds of ribs....versus a cheap sandwich roadside for 100RD...there is no comparison.
You don't have to convince me, that they're worth it.
I love them.
Bear in mind though that after ditching the fat and bones, it takes 3 lbs to get approx. 1 lb of meat.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
well, the thing is that meat here is different from what you will find in the states. But I will experiment and find what works.

I just wanted to share what I thought would be a nice treat for those who live here...that they can purchase and make these at a decent price. It makes for a nice change from rice, platano, and chicken.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
well, the thing is that meat here is different from what you will find in the states. But I will experiment and find what works.

I just wanted to share what I thought would be a nice treat for those who live here...that they can purchase and make these at a decent price. It makes for a nice change from rice, platano, and chicken.
No doubt about it. The meat here, if you can get good tender cuts, is better than that hormone steroid fed livestock in North America.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If snuffy would call me I can make a deal on BBQ sauce!! The World's Best!! (According to mykids)

HB

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
I am convinced that one can go to butcher, have him cut the ribs off a fresh pig, and then tenderize or slow cook them so that they are excellent. I have eaten ribs in Texas, Lousiana, St. Louis, Chicago, and Atlanta. I know what a good rib is. I just don't know an exact cooking strategy for here in the DR. But I will figure it out.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Snuffy... there's no need to tenderize ribs if you're going to cook them for several hours over indirect heat. Ask anyone from Texas, the Carolinas, St. Louis, etc...

The way most "Real" BBQ'ers cook their ribs is pretty simple:

First, Baby Backs are the norm, not spare ribs, although spare ribs have more meat (but are much fattier)

First remove the membrane from the underside of the ribs, then use a dry rub mixture of your favorite spices...almost anything will do, but usually include salt, pepper, garlic powder, cayenne, etc...really work the mixture into both sides of the meat, and let stand a few hours to overnite in the fridge...

cook over a very low, indirect heat...NEVER put them directly over the fire...

you should use 2 sauces...a basting (mopping) sauce and (if you want) a dipping/glaze sauce...the basting sauce should be acidic based like applecider vinegar, wine or fruit juices... mixed with water...its just to keep the meat moist, tenderize, and keep the meat from burning... you dont need any flavorings for the basting sauce, just "mop" it on every 30 minutes or so with a brush...turning the ribs each time.

after several hours (time depends on the heat and density of the meat), when the meat is starting to pull away from the bone, you can baste the ribs with a bbq sauce and stick them over direct heat for a few minutes, or keep them over indirect for another 30 or so...

Personally, I like to save the sauce until after they're cooked... that way the ribs retain the natural flavor and the meat has a bit of a "crunch" to it...then dip the whole rib into the sauce at the table...

Ive messed around with lots of recipes and methods, including boiling in beer first, marinating in acids/juices or bbq sauces, starting them in a low oven, etc...and ultimately, if you have the right grill (with a cover), and the time, there's no better way than the traditional way!

As for the BBQ sauce...first, it should compliment the tasteof the ribs, not dominate it, and second, its almost impossible to make a bad sauce if you stick to the basic flavors/ingredients... tomato (ketchup)/honey/tabasco/worcestirshire/mustard/molasses/soy/garlic, etc... there are literally 1000's of recipes on the net and elsewhere, but if you cook the ribs right, the sauce almost doesnt matter...

BTW, if you need a taste-tester...let me know... I'll bring the beer!

And PS... look into skillet corn bread, BBQ beans and *good* coleslaw!! :-D

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
David...thank you. Lot of good info there. My concern was that meat here is tougher than what you will find in the usa and therefore I wanted to know about how that would change the method of cooking. But it may not matter if it is cooked slow for several hours. I will know for sure soon.

Now corn bread is one thing I have not had in a long time.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
While you are slow cooking your ribs, throw on a "Beer Butt" Chicken as well. Prop a whole chicken up on a can of beer (you don't need a full can, enjoy half). Mop your basting sauce on just like the ribs. The chicken BBQs from the outside while beer steaming from the inside.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
RIbs, hmmmm. One trick that many cooks use to tenderize them, aside from a good marinade, is to simmer them prior to putting them on the grill. This summer we had a couple big parties on the balcony with the barbecue, and this method proved to be a winner. The ribs were great. Succulent.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Nice job DavidZ and HOWMAR. Excellent suggestions.

I have found that if it difficult to put ribs over indirect heat, like in a small grill (not a smoker), wrapping the ribs in aluminim foil helps them from bering cooked too quickly by the heat source. Let thyem cook over loooow heat for an hour+, then take the foil off to cook over the l0ow heat directly.

Not as good as a big enough grill for indirect heat, but it works pretty well.

castleburger

Sep 4, 2006
my mother (THE BEST COOK IN THE WORLD, HANDS DOWN) also used to boil the ribs first for about an hour then bar b que on a low fire, adding the sause at the end. very tender, and delicious.....