Highway 5 Road Repair?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobandjudy

Jan 20, 2006
Rt 5 repair

HI Drtampa, Judy and I just drove Rt 5 10 days ago. From Costambar to Cofresi, it looks like they repaved a section. The road seems to be a lot smoother than it used to be--and it's plenty wide, although they had not painted lines. Be careful though, I remember that there are still a few bumps in that area. We didn't go into Puerto Plata, so I don't know how the repair on Rt 5 in-town is going. I would still avoid that and take the Malecon around town which is much nicer.

Also, workers have doen a lot of cleaning and digging out the ditches on Rt 5 from Navarrette especially on the STI side of the tunnel. But, there are places where the pavement DROPS 6" or more off the side of the road, so be careful (pray that you don't have to swerve to miss somebody in those sections).

Hope this helps, Bob

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
It has been a bad several months while they do all this repair work. Every day we see some progress ( I use that term loosely) There is a lot going on now as the government has thrown a pile of money at the project. We are promised completion by Dec 30 apparently.

Definately bypass the road around Puerto Plata, use the Malecon. From the Texaco and west to Costambar it is ugly. From there to Cofresi it is much better then it was.

Out of curiosity, has anyone besides me noticed how often they dig the same damn holes?? I swear they have dug up in front of the Banco Popular at least 5 times now.

atomik

Feb 26, 2006
Road work complete?

Is the road work completed on Route 5 through Puerto Plata? Last summer it was a mess.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Dear drtampa:
You are as bas a laurapasinifan, nobody here uses route numbers. Just say the road to POP via the tunnel.
As opposed to the Tourist Hwy Luperon or the "old road" to POP.
Or the road to Jamao to Cabarete....

Logic tells me that RT#1`is the Duarte Highway..but that's as far as it goes...

The bridgehead was nearly completely undercut according to a picture in the papers...

The road was/is so bad that a guy on the bus with me just now told me that the had sent 3 1/2 hours at the edge of POP trying to get to Santiago....

And the billboards say that your tax pesos are going to improve infrastructure??? Gimmme a break!!

HB

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I did the run (Puerto Plata -Santiago-Puerto Plata via tunnel route) on Thursday & had absolutely NO problem. The remnants of the landslides are still there & care should be taken where the road is uneven or detours are in operation, but to the hospital it took me 1 hour 35 minutes (traffic bad in Santiago by 27 de febrero) & just 1 hour 20 minutes back!!

Matilda left on the 11.00 bus today & e-mailed us at 5.00 pm from Juan Dolio having changed bus at Santo Domingo! 5 hours (allowing 1 hour to say 'Hello' to dogs & husband before getting on the computer) door to door indicates a fairly easy journey into Santiago on Metro today!

The road through Puerto Plata IS getting better but won't be finished for another 2 months I suspect! ~ Grahame

Status
Not open for further replies.