What are you going to do?

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
We all read about it. Home invasions of fellow ex-pats, muggings of tourists, unprovoked attacks of gringos and even Dominicans. We have been discussing these events for quite sometime now and it made me wonder. If you knew someone was being mugged, robbed, raped, attacked...

What would you do?

Several different times I was involved with the assistance of a fellow ex-pats, tourists or Dominicans in need of help. One night while sitting in a local restaurant one of the ex-pats I was sitting with received a frantic phone call. On the outskirts of Sosua in an area with nicely built homes was an ex-pat friend who just had his home invaded. He was frantic because when he entered the home the thief was still there. Three of us jumped into our cars and we rushed over there. When we got there the gentleman was shaken but safe. The intruder had indeed entered his house and threw items around andstole a few things.

After everything settled down I pondered. Three of us got up and went to our cars to help this man who obviously needed help. However, many ex-pats just sat there and did nothing. I wonder now. What is it that compels some to rush to help and others simply sit back and do nothing? What would you do if this was to happened when you are present? Would you help? Would you just sit there like many often do? Would you be the "Monday morning quarterback" criticizing everyone when they returned on what they did right and wrong? I know what I would do, just as I have done so many times before. I would be there to help you. What would you do?

Be honest and answer these questions. Everyone seems to have the answers but rarely offer anything but their rhetoric. I am curious to the answers I am going to see? Hmmmmmmm? This should be interesting!

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Que chevere....

DominiScot, this is a great, great thread.

I will reply to it very honestly.

I am the type of person that I WOULD stop to aid someone with a flat tire (yes, ME, believe it or not) so your question is VERY simple for me:

Without giving it a second thought, I would get involved. Better yet, I would get involved even if I don't know the victim. Something about injustice rubs me the wrong way.

As the old Spanish saying goes: "hoy por ti, manana por mi".

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Are you serious, many just sat there? Is that the reality of life today. Of course, had the expats arrived in masse it would have been a great show of force for all to see and take note of. So you gotta ask. What would your neighbors really do in a crisis. And that is the reality of living here. You North Coasters need to get your act together. You need to create some organization. Today, with cell phones a quick call should bring the expat army down on any home being invaded. The fact that does not exist today is telling. But kudos to those who did respond.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
To respond or not respond

Are you serious, many just sat there? Is that the reality of life today. Of course, had the expats arrived in masse it would have been a great show of force for all to see and take note of. So you gotta ask. What would your neighbors really do in a crisis. And that is the reality of living here. You North Coasters need to get your act together. You need to create some organization. Today, with cell phones a quick call should bring the expat army down on any home being invaded. The fact that does not exist today is telling. But kudos to those who did respond.

I knew the gentlemen I was sitting with. Two great Brits and good people. We didn't debate, we reacted and I did go along with them. Why? Because that answer is quite simple. It could be me someday. I didn't know the man that needed help but that wasn't important.

Believe me, I looked around as we rushed out the door and I took note of the ones that sat on their hands. Sort of reminded me of the chicken coup. The coyote reaches in and grabs a chicken while the others sqawk and do nothing. Imagine if the other chickens pecked the living poo poo out of the coyote's nose he would not be so quick to stick it in there. Something to ponder!

Last edited:

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
92 visits no responces

I wonder why? Everyone has so much to blab about regarding crime. I wonder why nobody is responding to my very direct questions?

I got to say that I am not surprised by this. It is what was expected. Those PM buttons must be hot and heavy right about now, LOL!

Happy Turkey Day!

Gobble gobble!

A

apostropheman

i don't live in the DR but i visit often and have some very good friends there. we help each other if and when we can.

when i was visiting last xmas/new years i had a little issue and many people immediately offered assistance. these are the same people that also answer all my questions, offer to pick me up at the airport, etc...

they help me and i help them. i have no doubt that if i called they'd come running to help. i know for a fact that if they called i'd be there for them in a heartbeat.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Interesting thread! I too would help out. Not sure how much I could help but I would certainly try.

Many many people will just stand or sit and wait for someone else. There was a news show on Friday in NY, showed a guy being hit by a car and then people just watching or walking on by him.

I don't always undertand people.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Aqui voy otra vez....

I wonder why? Everyone has so much to blab about regarding crime. I wonder why nobody is responding to my very direct questions?

I got to say that I am not surprised by this. It is what was expected. Those PM buttons must be hot and heavy right about now, LOL!

Happy Turkey Day!

Gobble gobble!
DominiScot, my other "brotha" from another "motha":

Could it be that MOST would rather complain about a situation than help?.

Trust me, SOME of us are NOT "yella", hahahahaha.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Not to toot my own horn or boast, but I can honestly say I would rush in to help, whoever the victim might be. I lived in New York for much of my life, through the best and the worst years, and in that period I rescued about four people from muggings and assaults. As Chiri and some other members can tell you, I am not a big guy -- featherweight at best -- but often the matter depends on getting pumped up, making lots of noise and facing up to bullies who usually are so surprised that anyone would challenge them that they back down, or at least lose their momentum. Btw, Scotty, I second you on the sap, and I favor kneecapping as a defensive method: people rarely think to protect their knees and they are possibly the most vulnerable point on the body.

It is scary confronting a mugger or a would be killer; and I am not exactly brave, but the thing is I couldnt live with myself if I didnt act. Everytime it happened I weighed my reaction for a split second, sized up the opposition, considered the possible outcomes, but I always knew I couldnt just turn my back. It is what used to be called being a "standup guy." For me that is one of the most important values.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The vast majority of DR1 readers do not live in the DR, and the questions would not apply to them.
Some may also find the questions redundant, as this topic has been covered many times, and almost everybody and anybody who lives here, knows someone to phone in the case of an emergency, and they know that their friends would come, ASAP.
There may be the odd deadbeat around, but one is not likely to be calling him/her, in a state of emergency.

I'm not sure what you mean, and why the PM buttons would be hot and heavy.

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
DiminicanScotty

Count me in..I would jump to assist in a heartbeat..You know me on a personal level and lets go to that situation a few weeks ago..We had each other's back right till the end of that problem with those 2 clowns who let the booze make them brave till they got to us..Can't say I ever saw someone run away so fast....LOL.

Strenght in numbers usually proves the point..But as Rocky stated alot of people here on DR1 don't live here or own any property to loose..These are the ones that should not be counted on..Hell they are in the Dr on R&R not to chance taking a knife or bullet for someone..They have a flight to catch home where they can tell their story of what happend and make themselves proclaimed heroes in their story...

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Helping a neighbor is one thing. Foolishly putting yourself in harms' way is another. What good are a bunch of guys showing up to help someone if:

1) The perps are armed and y'all are not.
2) None of you guys know how to fight.

Now if that's not the case then cool, but remember if you pull a gun out on someone, you'd better be prepared to use it and suffer the consequences. Criminals don't give a damn about consequences and in a place like the DR I would be concerned as an ex-pat about hurting someone, even if it is in self-defense.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Let me add, life is a little different here in the capital.

Yeah we have crime, but I have never heard of a home invasion in the past 8 years. I'm sure it goes on, but it doesn't appear to effect expats that I know.

Let's not paint all the country with the same brush. Sosua is Sosua and it's VERY different from Santo Domingo.

texasgal

Jul 17, 2006
Although I live in the US, I think we can all look into ourselves for an answer to that question. A few years back I was attacked in a mall parking lot at night and almost raped. After he had cut me twice (just a few stitches- more blood than injury) and had me pinned to the ground- my fight instinct kicked in. I ended up rolling him off me and getting away. There were people there and the only thing they did was call for security. No one tried to help me out. Since then I have taken my security into my own hands. I now watch my situations more carefully. I found out I could not be secure in the neighborhood I lived in my whole life. No more night trips to the mall alone, either.

To answer the question- I would help out and have helped out when I see someone in need. It can be something as simple as offering my cell phone to a person with a broken down vehicle on the side of the road. Once I went over to my neighbor's apartment and stopped him from using his wife as a punching bag- only to get hit, too. However, I was smart enough to call the police before I went over there. I don't know where I got the courage or strength, but I knew I had to stop it and I knew by not doing something- I was letting him get away with hurting her.

I think each person could answer yes- I would help - if the situation was one where the person felt he/she could help.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
However

The vast majority of DR1 readers do not live in the DR, and the questions would not apply to them.
Some may also find the questions redundant, as this topic has been covered many times, and almost everybody and anybody who lives here, knows someone to phone in the case of an emergency, and they know that their friends would come, ASAP.
There may be the odd deadbeat around, but one is not likely to be calling him/her, in a state of emergency.

My question is: What would you do?
Don't see an answer here as redunant as you may think it is. It is my thread, I am curious and you can do one of a few things. Ignore it, answer it with the typical rhetoric, highjack it into your own comical version or answer the very simple question.

So, what would you do?

I am serious about this and not attempting to goad people so please don't get your panties in an uproar. I want to know what people are willing to do here. I am not intersted in blabbity blab blab as usual. Nothing to offer do not write. Just answer that daggone question!

I have already seen quite a few ex-pats do absolutely nothing. Perhaps that is redundant as well. Oh well....

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Very good point Robert

Let me add, life is a little different here in the capital.

Yeah we have crime, but I have never heard of a home invasion in the past 8 years. I'm sure it goes on, but it doesn't appear to effect expats that I know.

Let's not paint all the country with the same brush. Sosua is Sosua and it's VERY different from Santo Domingo.

The north coast is where a large population of ex-pats live and share space with one another. My good buddies Richard and Patrick know I keep an eye on their place as they do with mine when I am not there. If we are both there we look out for each other. Many ex-pats have my number and that know they can call me at a moments notice. Believe me, I would not be responding to tell you what you did wrong I would be coming to make sure you are safe. Period!

Sto Dgo is different, and perhaps as Rocky did raise a good point. Not all readers understand what I am posting about. These questions are directed at the ex-pats that live here mostly on the north coast. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
I do understand

We all read about it. Home invasions of fellow ex-pats, muggings of tourists, unprovoked attacks of gringos and even Dominicans. We have been discussing these events for quite sometime now and it made me wonder. If you knew someone was being mugged, robbed, raped, attacked...

What would you do?

Several different times I was involved with the assistance of a fellow ex-pats, tourists or Dominicans in need of help. One night while sitting in a local restaurant one of the ex-pats I was sitting with received a frantic phone call. On the outskirts of Sosua in an area with nicely built homes was an ex-pat friend who just had his home invaded. He was frantic because when he entered the home the thief was still there. Three of us jumped into our cars and we rushed over there. When we got there the gentleman was shaken but safe. The intruder had indeed entered his house and threw items around andstole a few things.

After everything settled down I pondered. Three of us got up and went to our cars to help this man who obviously needed help. However, many ex-pats just sat there and did nothing. I wonder now. What is it that compels some to rush to help and others simply sit back and do nothing? What would you do if this was to happened when you are present? Would you help? Would you just sit there like many often do? Would you be the "Monday morning quarterback" criticizing everyone when they returned on what they did right and wrong? I know what I would do, just as I have done so many times before. I would be there to help you. What would you do?

Be honest and answer these questions. Everyone seems to have the answers but rarely offer anything but their rhetoric. I am curious to the answers I am going to see? Hmmmmmmm? This should be interesting!

DomScotty:

I do understand the quesion and I can VERY honestly say that I WOULD be there. I tell you once a tiny little Dominican sees this 300lb red faced Gringo charging their way they normally run.

I don't take crap and I'd be there to help anyone that needs help be there to do what I can.

Just a stupid story; On my last visit to the DR, before I made the decision to move, I was on Sosua beach drinking a cold one and thinking of how damn relaxed I was, when this dive boat ran ashore with three passengers. One of the dive instructors got out of the boat and yelled if there was someone who could help. Without thinking or know what I was getting in to I jumped up and went to help. Turned out there was a fellow in the boat that was having a heart attack and needed to get to the hospital. I assisted in getting him out of the boat and into a cab where he was rushed to the hospital.

I'm not tooting my horn but that's what I'd do in any situation.

Jack

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Jack

DomScotty:

I do understand the quesion and I can VERY honestly say that I WOULD be there. I tell you once a tiny little Dominican sees this 300lb red faced Gringo charging their way they normally run.

I don't take crap and I'd be there to help anyone that needs help be there to do what I can.

Just a stupid story; On my last visit to the DR, before I made the decision to move, I was on Sosua beach drinking a cold one and thinking of how damn relaxed I was, when this dive boat ran ashore with three passengers. One of the dive instructors got out of the boat and yelled if there was someone who could help. Without thinking or know what I was getting in to I jumped up and went to help. Turned out there was a fellow in the boat that was having a heart attack and needed to get to the hospital. I assisted in getting him out of the boat and into a cab where he was rushed to the hospital.

I'm not tooting my horn but that's what I'd do in any situation.

Jack

My friend. You are the type of person I want in my cell phone and my number in yours as well. I am not looking to cause an uproar here with people that have a persecution complex. I am seriously looking to know about the "go to guys" and the "deadbeats". Within a few months I will finally make my move down there for good. I want my friends to know that I would be there to help regardless if I personally like you or not (LOL). It is not a popularity contest it is surviving. I am also not talking about vigilantism of forming up armed roving gangs of ex-pat thugs with boards and nails stuck in the end of them. A poster mentioned a good point. Certainly we wouldn't want to get all shot up by an armed thug. But let me tell you something. I don't know where you are from. But if a half dozen cars come roaring up the street with some angry ex pats in them? The buggers armed or not will run.

I am interested in people that are willing to answer their cell phone, jump into a car and respond to a fellow ex-pat that needs help. Seems to be NOT ENOUGH of this support happening so please stop the poo poo that everything is being done that can be done because it isn't.

The deadbeats? I will make sure the ex pat community knows who they are. Bet your last bannana on that one. Collectively, we can make a difference. We must recognize this if we wish to live here together.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
My question is: What would you do?
Don't see an answer here as redunant as you may think it is. It is my thread, I am curious and you can do one of a few things. Ignore it, answer it with the typical rhetoric, highjack it into your own comical version or answer the very simple question.

So, what would you do?

I am serious about this and not attempting to goad people so please don't get your panties in an uproar. I want to know what people are willing to do here. I am not intersted in blabbity blab blab as usual. Nothing to offer do not write. Just answer that daggone question!

I have already seen quite a few ex-pats do absolutely nothing. Perhaps that is redundant as well. Oh well....
Chill out dude,
The subject has been covered many times, and most of us who live here, have numbers ready to call, in the case of an emergency.
I replied to you wondering why so many people read your thread, and few responded.
I have no panties, I am not attempting to goad, and I did answer your question in quotes.
Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by DominicanScotty

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by DominicanScotty

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
If you took the time to see which question I was answering, you would not have flown off the deep end. Clearly, by the quotes, you can see which question I was answering.