Working via the Internet in the DR

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
I see lots of activity and posts on DR1, but does anyone living on the North Coast depend on using the Internet for their job ? I'm interested in things like speed, availablility, reliability, etc. Any thoughts, opinions and experiences would be appreciated. Thanks for answering yet another question.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I'm new to the forum, but each time I've been in the DR I rely on my computer or I'd be out of business. I have high speed wireless internet access and it's been very reliable, fast, and count-on-able so far. I am in the outskirts of Sosua. Even when I was in the AI's I used the internet cafes in Playa Dorado and in the town of Sosua, no problema.

Ro

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Yes there is high speed internet available and it is fairly reliable. IF yoau re planning to live here then take a look at what is available by specific area. To get Verizon high speed you have to have a land line installed in the location. I rented an apartment for 14 months. For the entire time I tried and tried to get phone and internet installed. IT was not available in that specific area. The apartment was just on the outskirts of Puerto Plata.

I now live 5 minutes away and have phone and DSL no problem at all. We do have our service issues with Verizon here though. Hopefully it is getting better.

The other issue that goes hand in hand of course is electricity!

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
We also have Verizon DSL. It come in different speeds up to I think 1050. It's a hassel to get the phone and get it hooked up but if you use it a lot, like we do, it's worth it not to have to depend on anyone else.

gamana

Apr 24, 2006
SAT option

Hughes SAT network is also an option with up to triple T1 bandwith BUT, get ready for the price tag. It is really oriented towards online businesses.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Well, if you can wait for a few weeks I will send you a full report. Because in a few weeks I'll be in DR and need to work 6 hours a day, 5 days a week from DR, connecting to my office PC and using VoIP for calls continuesly. I'm told I have two weeks to sort it out, if it is not practical or there are too many electricity or internet connection problems I must come back (or I won't have a job !>>?) - fingures crossed......

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Well, if you can wait for a few weeks I will send you a full report. Because in a few weeks I'll be in DR and need to work 6 hours a day, 5 days a week from DR, connecting to my office PC and using VoIP for calls continuesly. I'm told I have two weeks to sort it out, if it is not practical or there are too many electricity or internet connection problems I must come back (or I won't have a job !>>?) - fingures crossed......
Other than a few slowdowns and the rare breakdown, we have hi-speed internet, 24/7, so there's nothing to worry about.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
You will have NO problemas maintaining connectivity in Sosua 6 hours a day!
I connect with my Stateside office when on vacation with ease.

tambo

jackieboo

On Vaction without a return ticket!
Mar 18, 2006
I do

I see lots of activity and posts on DR1, but does anyone living on the North Coast depend on using the Internet for their job ? I'm interested in things like speed, availablility, reliability, etc. Any thoughts, opinions and experiences would be appreciated. Thanks for answering yet another question.

I live on the north coast and depend on the internet as I work for a company in Seattle, WA. USA.

I have the following:

Satellite internet - not cheap, cost me around $6000.00USD and $300 per month

VPN - Virtual Private Network - to access my offices LAN

Vonage - Vonage phone connection - $24.99 a month unlimited north american calls in and out.

I depend solely on my internet connection and from my research could not depend solely on Verizon Flash.

PM me if you need further information.

Jack

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Although we sometimes bitch and moan about Verizon, the DSL service is usually OK.
I work for a number of clients, some in the DR and some in other parts of the world, doing translating, proofing/editing and writing assignments. This work sometimes entails travel for information gathering purposes, but at the moment I'm managing to do all my work without leaving my desk!

danely

Apr 23, 2004
Ditto that, Tambo. The hardest part is dedicating 6 hours a day to work while you are in Sosua !

dcr

Aug 9, 2007
Hi everyone

We have been coming to the North Coast on and off for 20 years. We are about to come for an extended stay of at least 1 month and possibly more.
However, I will need to keep working.
Does anyone know if my USA verizon air card for my laptop will work with hi speed wireless internet? Does "edge" technology extend along the north coast?

thanks

DC

Bellamona

Sep 18, 2007
I?m in SDQ and we?re having trouble with our internet connectios at home. Can anyone direct me to an internet cafe reasonably accessible from El Cacique area = maybe somewhere in the Zona Colonial or on Independencia? And how does it work? Do they clock you and in and then charge you or do you use a credit card...I have no idea how it works but am desperate for reliable internet access and don?t mind parking myself in a decent cafe for a few hours every day..thanks in advance for any suggestions you can give..

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
If you have a laptop, how about wi-fi - somewhere like one of the universities or the Hotel Santo Domingo?

Otherwise, there are internet cafes in most commercial areas and the prices are reasonable. The PCs have a timer and you pay per minutes you use. There is usually a minimum charge. I can't recommend a specific place but you are bound to come across one along Independencia. In the Zona colonial there are wi-fi hotspots in some cafes and there are several internet cafes on Conde.