Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Working via the Internet in the DR

I see lots of activity and posts on DR1, but does anyone living on the North Coast depend on using the Internet for their job ? I'm interested in things like speed, availablility, reliability, etc. Any thoughts, opinions and experiences would be appreciated. Thanks for answering yet another question.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't myself but know people on North Coast who do.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm new to the forum, but each time I've been in the DR I rely on my computer or I'd be out of business. I have high speed wireless internet access and it's been very reliable, fast, and count-on-able so far. I am in the outskirts of Sosua. Even when I was in the AI's I used the internet cafes in Playa Dorado and in the town of Sosua, no problema.

Ro

.............. ?
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes there is high speed internet available and it is fairly reliable. IF yoau re planning to live here then take a look at what is available by specific area. To get Verizon high speed you have to have a land line installed in the location. I rented an apartment for 14 months. For the entire time I tried and tried to get phone and internet installed. IT was not available in that specific area. The apartment was just on the outskirts of Puerto Plata.

I now live 5 minutes away and have phone and DSL no problem at all. We do have our service issues with Verizon here though. Hopefully it is getting better.

The other issue that goes hand in hand of course is electricity!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

We also have Verizon DSL. It come in different speeds up to I think 1050. It's a hassel to get the phone and get it hooked up but if you use it a lot, like we do, it's worth it not to have to depend on anyone else.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default SAT option

Hughes SAT network is also an option with up to triple T1 bandwith BUT, get ready for the price tag. It is really oriented towards online businesses.

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
    Post Thanks / Like

Lots and lots of people make their living on the net in the DR.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, if you can wait for a few weeks I will send you a full report. Because in a few weeks I'll be in DR and need to work 6 hours a day, 5 days a week from DR, connecting to my office PC and using VoIP for calls continuesly. I'm told I have two weeks to sort it out, if it is not practical or there are too many electricity or internet connection problems I must come back (or I won't have a job !>>?) - fingures crossed......

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uzin View Post
    Well, if you can wait for a few weeks I will send you a full report. Because in a few weeks I'll be in DR and need to work 6 hours a day, 5 days a week from DR, connecting to my office PC and using VoIP for calls continuesly. I'm told I have two weeks to sort it out, if it is not practical or there are too many electricity or internet connection problems I must come back (or I won't have a job !>>?) - fingures crossed......
    Other than a few slowdowns and the rare breakdown, we have hi-speed internet, 24/7, so there's nothing to worry about.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

You will have NO problemas maintaining connectivity in Sosua 6 hours a day!
    I connect with my Stateside office when on vacation with ease.

tambo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast