child education

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
our son will finish high school next year . he attended for some years the international school and his last 4 years he attended a private dominican school. now my question: will he be able to study at an US or Europeen University? does anybody on this forum what the requirements are to get accepted?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Does your son's school have a careers/further education advisor?

It would also depend on the universities and their specific academic and financial requirements for overseas students.

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
unfortunately this school does not have any career / further education advisor. they are only able to give a qualified answer if he would study in the DR but not outside. nobody can answer surely if universities in more civilized countries would accept a teenager who "only" has the dominican high school degree. our son is a bright guy he speaks and writes 5 languages but his capacities are focused in the science / math area.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
In that case, check out university websites in the countries you're interested in, which should have information about their entrance requirements for overseas students, like a special entrance exam.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
I was also a teenager with a Dominican high school degree, and from a small private backyard school to boot. I also wanted to further my education in a recognized foreign university. At the urging and help from a relative, I obtained an appointment with the vice-chancellor of a prestigious university in the US Midwest, and was allowed to register on probation for one semester in the School of Arts and Sciences with the condition that if I obtained at least a 3.0 point average, I would then be formally registered.

nebraskamom

May 4, 2005
Your son needs to take the SAT to show the level of education he has. once you can show that meets the cut off for a school, many schools would accept him on a probation status. contact the admissions office directly after you get the SAT results.

enh

Feb 22, 2003
Corroborating nebraskamon?s post, our daughter was home schooled without a home school umbrella of any kind. After taking the SAT, her mom cobbled together a transcript from the ?Herda Private School? and our daughter then applied at a local university. Acceptance with scholarship. Another point, since your son speaks five languages, have him investigate the possibilities of CLEP. Many universities in the US accept credits based on results of CLEP tests which include many different subjects from sciences to languages. You can investigate this on the internet. Our daughter, by taking CLEP tests, accumulated 14 credits of Spanish and 3 for Western Civilization before she started the university.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
An outstanding thread.!!
Regarding the OP's question: Of course your son can gain admittance to a US (or other) university!! Dominican students have been attending foreign universities for more than a century. Nothing new.
Go make an appointment at the local Dominico-Americano--either Santo Domingo or Santiago, and probably the PUCMM extension in POP. If your boy is good in science and math he will be a shoo-in.....probably with some sort of scholarship...

Five languages!! At that age!! What a wonderful thing to have.... Congratulations.

HB

May 31, 2005
unfortunately this school does not have any career / further education advisor. they are only able to give a qualified answer if he would study in the DR but not outside. nobody can answer surely if universities in more civilized countries would accept a teenager who "only" has the dominican high school degree. our son is a bright guy he speaks and writes 5 languages but his capacities are focused in the science / math area.

Many schools in DR give you a better education than most high schools in the More "civilized" US.