Thread: Politicised public sector - any studies out there?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Politicised public sector - any studies out there?

As everyone knows, every four years the entire public sector goes through a revolution, as people are given jobs in return for votes/favours/friendships etc.

My question is: Has anyone done any study on this to work out what percentage of jobs this affects, the effect on the economy etc?

In my opinion, the lack of a competant, experienced public sector is the single biggest constraint to the development of the DR, but I need to prove it.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by George Holmes View Post
    As everyone knows, every four years the entire public sector goes through a revolution, as people are given jobs in return for votes/favours/friendships etc.

My question is: Has anyone done any study on this to work out what percentage of jobs this affects, the effect on the economy etc?

In my opinion, the lack of a competant, experienced public sector is the single biggest constraint to the development of the DR, but I need to prove it.
    ^^^I agree 100%. An effectice Civil Service system-and ditching the current patron system- would be the single quickest way to bring some "order" to the DR governmental bureaucracy. This is a trait of the 1st World.

Post Thanks / Like

You'll probably find this sort of work, or information on where to find it, from the folks at Cenantillas, an economics think-tank based at the PUCCM university; FLACSO, a research institute, CIECA, or Centro Juan Montalvo.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Local government?

I have a home and family in Sosua, and I have no idea how the local government functions or is structured. My full time residence is in New York, but my adopted family is Dominican and lives full time in Sosua and I plan to move there in the not to distant future.

I see things happening, like roads being repaired and police being assigned different tasks, but i have no idea where those decisions are made. Is there a city council, a mayor, a DA, a budget?

How can I learn about my local government? - D