pepper spray

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
You should be able to find them in any ferreteria or hardware store. Also see Radio Shack. Also see gun shop.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Where are you? In Santo Domingo you can find it in any Supermarket or Cuesta (at the cashier they always have them on display)

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Does anyone know where to buy pepper spray and small alarms?

Pepper sprays are useless, except for spicing up a chalupa or a taco (great on burritos also). Since they are made from capsicain, the same stuff that makes chili peppers taste hot.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Pepper sprays are useless, except for spicing up a chalupa or a taco (great on burritos also). Since they are made from capsicain, the same stuff that makes chili peppers taste hot.
I dunno. A shot in the eyes will stop even the most enraged perp long enough to make a hasty escape.

My fiance carries a palm-sized little container whenever she walks on the street.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
I dunno. A shot in the eyes will stop even the most enraged perp long enough to make a hasty escape.

My fiance carries a palm-sized little container whenever she walks on the street.

In order for it to work as you suggest, then you would have to bring the container up to the eye level of your attacker, and not further than six inches away from his face. And if you are able to do this, then your attacker is no "enraged perp". Actually, pulling an object from your purse or pocket while you face an attacker is foolish to say the least. Your action could be interpreted as pulling out a more offensive weapon, like a gun, and provoke an even more aggressive response. I would recommend something more practical, like carying a police whistle on a cord around your neck...

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
In order for it to work as you suggest, then you would have to bring the container up to the eye level of your attacker, and not further than six inches away from his face. And if you are able to do this, then your attacker is no "enraged perp". Actually, pulling an object from your purse or pocket while you face an attacker is foolish to say the least. Your action could be interpreted as pulling out a more offensive weapon, like a gun, and provoke an even more aggressive response. I would recommend something more practical, like carying a police whistle on a cord around your neck...
The container she carreis shoots a strong stream six feet. It is in her hand, not her purse.

'Course mace would be better.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
is it legal to carry pepper spray on a key chain in the DR ? here in the US you can. if so, then carry it on a key chain in your hand. but again, the element of surprise is against you.
if it shoots a stream (your mace), what if the perp moves out of the way ?
also if you are too close to the person you shoot, you too will be affected if you're in an enclosed area like a room or if this person grabs you once you mace/pepper spray them.

i hope that you will stay out of areas where self-defense spray is needed....

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
As long as you spray in the facial area, it'll work fine. I think all women should at least take some form of self-defense class, it's good to know something.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
It also has the advantage that in case a struggle ensues and it is turned against yourself, no permanent injury to yourself will result. Better quality products are also available mixed with an indelible dye. Marks your attacker for police identification for a few weeks.

danely

Apr 23, 2004

...Please use a weak cord for that whistle around the neck that will easily break if pulled on...be a shame to get strangled with your own whistle cord.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
just be careful with the pepper spray because innocent people may get sprayed also and then the police have cause to arrest you even if you were attacked.

it could be construed as reckless endangerment or simple assault.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
just be careful with the pepper spray because innocent people may get sprayed also and then the police have cause to arrest you even if you were attacked.

it could be construed as reckless endangerment or simple assault.
If "innocent people" were present during the attack, and didn't help, they DESERVE to be peppered. Most assaults don't happen in a crowd.

I used to hire hundreds of nurses. I had professional security folks go to all my branches twice a year to do inservices on what to do when attacked. Pepper spray was a mainstay of his techniques. I issued keychain pepper spray to all my new employees, as they often went into "questionable" neighborhoods to make their medical rounds. Cost me like $15 back then, the mid-90's.

Most bad guys see it and just back off. If they don't and get a face full, they will the next time.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
most assaults i have seen occur with people around, clubs, bars, even on the street. i can't agree with you that anyone DESERVES to be sprayed. i know if i get sprayed with pepper spray while you are sparyaing someone else YOU WILL have more than one attacker....

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
most assaults i have seen occur with people around, clubs, bars, even on the street. i can't agree with you that anyone DESERVES to be sprayed. i know if i get sprayed with pepper spray while you are sparyaing someone else YOU WILL have more than one attacker....
So you'd attack the person trying to defend themseves, and not the attacker?

:ermm:

So much for being a Good Samaritan.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Different types of assaults occur in different types of surroundings, the type women should be seriously concerned with is the type which she'll find herself alone and risk the possibility of rape. Then Pepper Spray will be effective if used properly. If there are people around, its more likely the perp is looking for a quick snatch & run. If that's the case, Pepper Spray will be useless because the perp will be long gone after the surprise attack.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Different types of assaults occur in different types of surroundings, the type women should be seriously concerned with is the type which she'll find herself alone and risk the possibility of rape. Then Pepper Spray will be effective if used properly. If there are people around, its more likely the perp is looking for a quick snatch & run. If that's the case, Pepper Spray will be useless because the perp will be long gone after the surprise attack.
Exactly.

Pepper spray is not for a bar brawl with hookers, pimps and drunks. Nor is it for a purse snatching.

It's for a situation where the victim is alone, isolated and is physically threatened. Mace too.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
in the US pepper spray is most often used for brawls, bar fights, crazy people, etc. for the police it is an option to deadly force.

i guess in the DR, perps are different...

bellissima_81

Apr 19, 2006
Pepper spray works fine, as long as u make sure u have it either clips on ure pants or in ure hand ready to use. I was attacked once not here in the DR but back home in Canada and all I had to do was turn around spray and then run, u just have to make sure u shot at eye level..... just my 2cents

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
Man I got sprayed with that stuff a fews years back by some crazy drunk *****.She thought it would be funny to try out..That burned my eyes and face for what seemed like a hour..She got 2 of us..Then a 3rd.friend grabbed it from her and gave her a taste..I can tell you it was a very unpleasant experience...