Thanksgiving

SANTA

Nov 22, 2006
Do the Dominican people observe thanksgiving? And if so what day is it? Thank You

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
No, inspite of some commercial efforts and the occasional television presentationof wht Thanksgiving is all about, there is no real celebration here and for good reason.
There was never a need to commemorate the arrival or the survival of the first settlers. There was no cold, no snow...the locals were obliged to provide food, and most of their settlers) plight was do to their own unsanitary habits. (The Queen takes a bath every month, whether she needs it or not!)

Besides that, remember the religious nature of the feast. There were Pilgrims, not Catholics. And I do believe that it is celebrated only in the US.

And Canadá?

HB

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
And I do believe that it is celebrated only in the US.

And Canad??

HB

I think Canadian Thanksgiving is earlier (in October) because it, too, derives not from the Pilgrims but from the harvest (I think).

There is possibly the occasional Brit who celebrates in their own mind, very quietly and behind closed doors..................:laugh: :laugh: I jest, I jest.

May I sincerely wish all those who do celebrate Thanksgiving a very happy one. Nice when historical events turn out mutually satisfying.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I am Thankful for my Dominican friends, new family, acquaintances and ex-pats; they have been of great help on my travels there.

I am Thankful for DR1 and the immense tsunami of knowledge; this place has been a serious education for a guy like me, about to pull the trigger on moving to Paradise.

;) And I am Thankful for diseenting opinions, helping me, in spite of facts, see the errors in my edumacation and ways...;)

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
Missing something ....

I am Thankful for my Dominican friends, new family, acquaintances and ex-pats; they have been of great help on my travels there.

I am Thankful for DR1 and the immense tsunami of knowledge; this place has been a serious education for a guy like me, about to pull the trigger on moving to Paradise.

;) And I am Thankful for diseenting opinions, helping me, in spite of facts, see the errors in my edumacation and ways...;)
Chicks, chicks, chicks, and more chicks .... :)