Dominos

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
In the Uk I would go out to dinner, to the theatre, have dinner at home withe friends and play trivial pursuit (then my ex husband wouldn't talk to me for days coz I knew more than him!). Here we play dominos at our colmado. In fact there is a game going on on the patio of my house as I write. But, I am confused about some of the rules. So here's hoping you can help.

1. Which way should the first domino face. Every time I put it down someone moves it the other way round.

2. Why does one side go one way and one another?

3. Why do you 'bang' the domino down? Someone said it is giving a signal to your partner. Fine. What's the signal?

4. How do you spell 'capicure'? Can't find that one in the dictionary.

5. How come my pool man can't count to 5 (need 5 drops of stuff in the pool pregnancy device to see if it needs chlorine or acid) but can add up dominos like you have never seen!!! He says it is the spots which are different from drops of pool pregnancy tests!!!

6. How come Dominicans who normally can't remember the day they were born, can work out exactly who has what dominos?

7. Where the the fact that people play for eggs come from?

Any help you can give me would be gratefully appreciated. (By the way - no sign of transformer being connected!!! Surprise, surprise!!!)

Matilda

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Sorry I forgot. How do you hold 7 dominos in one hand???? I keep practising but can only manage 4.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Matilda

Im sure there are others who are domino pros out there and will give you helpful answers to your questions. But I just had to say your sense of humor is fantastic and in my book you are another adopted daughter of the DR, Lambada being the other.:cheeky:

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Dominus

Matilda, I am appalled by your irreverance toward Dominos. Did you know that although it is now played in humble settings, the game has a very serious origin? It was invented by Christian monks as a memory aid for their prayers, much like a rosary. The dots on the dominos represent the number of prayers to be recited by each penitent after holy confession.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Matilda, I am appalled by your irreverance toward Dominos. Did you know that although it is now played in humble settings, the game has a very serious origin? It was invented by Christian monks as a memory aid for their prayers, much like a rosary. The dots on the dominos represent the number of prayers to be recited by each penitent after holy confession.

And the penitent that gets the double 6 means he probably commited a grave sin like murdering someone.;)

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Matilda

Im sure there are others who are domino pros out there and will give you helpful answers to your questions. But I just had to say your sense of humor is fantastic and in my book you are another adopted daughter of the DR, Lambada being the other.:cheeky:

Coincidence? We're both Brits. ;)

The Christian monks who invented it were Chinese :chinese:

Matilda are your guys calling 'capicure' or 'chickie four'? I think they bang them down in case the next player is deaf (from all the loud merengue music) and in answer to question 8) you have 4 in your hand and 3 tucked in the front of your bra and you keep lowering your chin.

And if you really want to confuse everyone read this (scroll down a bit)
Domino

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
"Capicua" is when the last piece could go on either end, isn't it?

In Haiti (and maybe also in the DR, although I've never seen it), men pin clothes pegs to their face and ears for every game they lose. I don't know why I didn't take a photo, it looks hilarious.

DR1 has this article about dominoes in the DR which explains some of the local rules and customs.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Matilda, you can't imagine how much you revealed about you and your husband!!

Capicúa means that the piece can go at either end of the string.
How the first domino goes indicate which pair played first
Slamming dominos is very very low class and not accepted a true domino tables--see ESPN

In theory, partners are not supposed TO GIVE SIGNALS, but in backyards or sidewalk game, they usually do....

There are only 28 pieces in a domino set. Given the general rule of leading with your longest "suit" , a good player should have a idea of what people are holding after one round. After two rounds it should be clear.

Buy some green felt, a piece of very thin sponge rubber and put them on the table....easier on the ears...

HB