Sand Castle News

vevy

Feb 14, 2006
Anyone heard any news about the purchase of Sand Castle? And if so, the stipulations for change?

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
vevy refers to the Sand Castle Hotel in the Puerto Chequita area Zak023 - well known to most people that have lived in this area for a while.

The rumour I have heard is that YES, it has been sold & that it will be turned into condos (most likely at extortionate prices). I also heard that the area from Los Charamicos round the seafront to Sand Castle will be cleared of all properties to make way for further expansion of hotels & Tourist villas in the area???? I wonder if someone has a plan to clean up the sewer outlets into that bay?? ~ Grahame.

Zanahoria

Nov 25, 2006
This is my first post - My wife pointed this thread out about the rumoured buy of the Sand Castle project...Would you be able to tell me where you heard this information from?

I know the owner of the entire project very well and I know that this is simply not true. It is true that there are many entities interested in this project, but no one has signed along the dotted line as yet.

I can say that the owner did have a letter of intent, but it expired a few weeks ago.

If anyone knows about this project, it is me, rest assured I will be happy to tell the world the facts as they come in, rather than speculation, since the owner isn't happy about mis-information published here or anywhere...

SosuaJoe

Feb 24, 2005
(Apologies if this double posts -- lost connection while posting)

Zanahoria,

Welcome to the board!

As you're a friend of the owner and willing to share information with this board, I'm wondering if you can answer something that I've been curious about for some time.

Back in the day, a great deal of time share was sold at Sand Castle. What, if any, steps is the owner taking to ensure that those people who bought time share will have their contracts honoured in the event of a sale and/or reopening?

In any event, I hope the present or new owners manage to make something of this project, as that area of town is in need of rejuvination.

Best,

Joe

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Indeed - Welcome Zanahoria.
The information came to me from someone living in the existing condos (alongside the main Sosua - Puerto Plata road) a couple of weeks ago during a telephone conversation. Having heard so many 'Reports' about re-developement of Puerto Chiquita I gave it no more thought until the question was rasied above.

I (along with many others I suspect) look forward to any update you can pass on as & when something happens. Any strength in the comments about the Los Charamicos barrio near the sea being "Re-modeled by Bulldozer Inc."? ~ Grahame.

vevy

Feb 14, 2006
Thank you for sharing your knowledge regarding the Sand Castle purchase. Go/No Go... I am sure that the residents of the area would like to be informed as to what may transpire in that area. Candidly, residents should not be "the last to know." Community/city/town/village development should never be a "deep dark secret." We, who make Sosua and the surroundings our home, welcome the development- condos, a marina....." A Wonderful piece of property with the opportunity to help the current surrounding residents clean up their mess. It is time for Sand Castle to once again become a viable resort - minus the tons of garbage that have been allowed to exist there and become a down-stream nightmare - nothing that National Geographic would ever want to photograph. We welcome news of any buy-out! Just don't keep the community in the DARK.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Hmmmmm.
Looking at your success rate above I don't think the developers would be interested in having you buy there JD!! You might turn out to be the ONLY buyer going on your track record!!

Stay tuned - Playa Chiquita HAS to be developed shortly in the not too distant future! ~ Grahame.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Sand Castle is a beautiful place. However, it stands out as a hard example of self made tourist projects gone array. Any environmental study of that area would and should have told the original developer to beware.
Within weeks, there were rumors of people getting deathly ill after a stay there.

Until they (Government, Municipality, project developers) get that whole watershed cleaned up, Puerto Chiquito is poison....and nothing can go forward with any real hopes of success.

I would love to buy a condo up there, at about 10¢ on the peso. Anything more and I am fooling myself. Can't go swimming and it isn't worth more than those ten centavos to just look at the water...is it?

Now, if there were a golf course right there.....oh my....

HB

Zanahoria

Nov 25, 2006
Re : Sand Castle Timeshare

I am quite surprised to see such an interest from my initial post. Regarding the timeshare, it is true that there were quite a lot of people who did sign for the timeshare option and in the event of the Sand Castle being sold, one of the conditions of the sale is the new owners must either continue to honour the exisiting time share members or buy them out. Since there are many zero's involved to do the latter, I think the new owners would clearly see that the sensible option would be to just to keep the exisiting clients as is, since this is by far the most cost effective solution.

Realistically, this project has come a very long way since when it first opened and with all facets to the project, there are many solutions too. There are a lot of people involved and a lot of things happening with this project that are very sensitive and would be simply reckless for me to write on this forum or any other forum indepth details, since I know how this country works and it will affect the success of this project immensely.

As I said before I will be happy to answer anything that I feel won't cause problems now or later to this project and I will be happy to tell everyone when the deal is done. I hope people reading this will understand.

SosuaJoe

Feb 24, 2005
Carrot,

Thanks for the reply -- I hope you're correct and that the new owners will respect the existing time share contracts. As I said before, I also hope they manage to rejuvinate the area.

Best of luck!

Joe

ace

Apr 11, 2004
Puerto Chiquito, Sand Castle

Does anyone have true information about what's going on with the Sand Castle Hotel and the goverment moving the poor people off the beach.

Please , just respond if you have good info not rumors.

Thank you.

This is my first post - My wife pointed this thread out about the rumoured buy of the Sand Castle project...Would you be able to tell me where you heard this information from?

I know the owner of the entire project very well and I know that this is simply not true. It is true that there are many entities interested in this project, but no one has signed along the dotted line as yet.

I can say that the owner did have a letter of intent, but it expired a few weeks ago.

If anyone knows about this project, it is me, rest assured I will be happy to tell the world the facts as they come in, rather than speculation, since the owner isn't happy about mis-information published here or anywhere...

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
It's going to be really difficult to sell condos on a polluted beach.
Promises to clean up that river pouring into the Puerto Chiquito bay, will surely be part of the sales pitch and will likely convince some uninformed newbies, but any informed buyer would make full payment of said condo, conditional to the successful completion of a river water clean up program.

ace

Apr 11, 2004
Rocky,

Any news of when the goverment will move the people from the beach to their new apartments ?

I've seen that a few new houses are being built on the lots. 4 just went up in the last few months. Do you thing the goverment would invest in this area to bring new jobs to Sosua ? If they would build this area up it could bring a 1,000 new jobs . Being so close to the airport is a plus .

What's your thoughts ??

It's going to be really difficult to sell condos on a polluted beach.
Promises to clean up that river pouring into the Puerto Chiquito bay, will surely be part of the sales pitch and will likely convince some uninformed newbies, but any informed buyer would make full payment of said condo, conditional to the successful completion of a river water clean up program.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Rocky,

Any news of when the goverment will move the people from the beach to their new apartments ?

I've seen that a few new houses are being built on the lots. 4 just went up in the last few months. Do you thing the goverment would invest in this area to bring new jobs to Sosua ? If they would build this area up it could bring a 1,000 new jobs . Being so close to the airport is a plus .

What's your thoughts ??
If you are refering to wanting to move the El Tablon dwellers out of there, that may never happen.
They tried before and it didn't happen, besides, it would take a lot more than that, to clean up the polluting river that flows into the bay.

hansimages

Mar 10, 2018
Hotel Fantasma

Hola! This hotel has been closed for a long time and I wonder, who owns this place????
The new owner/s would have to buy more than the hotel, they would have to clean the whole area
and build a water treatment plant for the poo poo not to reach the ocean. In my humble opinion,
if the hotel gets renovated it could very well be the best hotel in the entire COUNTRY, of course,
if the new owners know what to do to make it so. To be honest, in this digital age, it is very easy to
do just that. This hotel and the entire Sosua region needs only two things: MONEY, and brains, and
investors with very big cojones. :)

Sand Castle is a beautiful place. However, it stands out as a hard example of self made tourist projects gone array. Any environmental study of that area would and should have told the original developer to beware.
Within weeks, there were rumors of people getting deathly ill after a stay there.

Until they (Government, Municipality, project developers) get that whole watershed cleaned up, Puerto Chiquito is poison....and nothing can go forward with any real hopes of success.

I would love to buy a condo up there, at about 10¢ on the peso. Anything more and I am fooling myself. Can't go swimming and it isn't worth more than those ten centavos to just look at the water...is it?

Now, if there were a golf course right there.....oh my....

HB