Bagels: where to find?

vevy

Feb 14, 2006
Local mercados do not have them. Moser will not make them (no demand I was told). Anyone know of a source: fresh or frozen in the Sosua/Cabarete area? If not, what about a possible source in Santiago?

james

Jan 14, 2002
I just brought two dozen back arriving only 15 minutes ago from "Bagels n' More" in Santo Domingo. Even put in a paper bag for carrying. (plastic makes them go soggy)

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Also you can get them in Supermercado Nacional but Bagels n' More in Naco is definitely the best place to get them fresh.

vevy

Feb 14, 2006
Bagels

Thus, it would appear from the lack of response, that there are no bagels in the Sosua-Cabarete area. Anyone looking for a new business opportunity might consider a coffee, bagel, newspaper site (or whatever else) that would be profitable likened unto a Starbucks, Caribou Coffee, or other such enterprise. Just hard to believe that there are no fresh/frozen bagels along the North Coast.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Tropical grocery store in Puerto Plata gets them in regularly. They usually come in on Tuesday. They have plain, cinnamon raisin and onion this week. I got cinnamon raisin yesterday. they are in the freezer section.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Just got a dozen "everything" @ H&H.
Maybe I will be a saint and bring some south next trip.
How many fit in a suitcase?

tambo'

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
H & H vs. Lender's and other frozen

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm H&H everythings...my absolute favorite...bring a handful and a sack of white castles for me and youre in for an evening of free beavises!

This thread is very very misleading. Apples and oranges doesn't begin to describe the huge difference between New York's H & H freshly baked bagels - arguably the world's best - and all others, especially the frozen variety.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but H & H class bagels is one of the things, along with hi-def TV and affordable tires, that you will have to accept doing without in exchange for living in paradise. Sorry.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
arturo... I dont think anyone here expects to find REAL NY style bagels... or pizza for that mattter, but Ive found decent pizza and had very good bagels here (from Santo Domingo). With a little research and lots of trial and error...you can find decent substitutes for alot of the things you miss back home.

The only thing you HAVE to accept living without in order to live in Paradise is snow...then again... sometimes...in winter... at the top of Pico Duarte.... ;)

samsbar

Jun 30, 2005
bagels

Tropical in Puerto Plata had frozen bagels two days ago. National in Santiago had fresh bagels - prepackaged - about three weeks ago. Joanne

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
Pizza

arturo... I dont think anyone here expects to find REAL NY style bagels... or pizza for that mattter, but Ive found decent pizza and had very good bagels here (from Santo Domingo). With a little research and lots of trial and error...you can find decent substitutes for alot of the things you miss back home.

The only thing you HAVE to accept living without in order to live in Paradise is snow...then again... sometimes...in winter... at the top of Pico Duarte.... ;)

There's excellent pizza all over the south coast and plenty up north as well. I think the pizza by the slice americanized thing could be a successful menu item at North American hangout.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
It's a great idea, but the numbers do not quite work with the price of propane and electricity to run a pizza oven all day/night. The curfew also puts a slight damper on your business model.

tambo'

hifiman

Jul 13, 2005
Will somebody contact Tim Hortons and get a Timmi's franchise put in Sosua or Cabarete.Then you will have all the fresh bagels and coffee you want and probably make a good buck doing it.
hifiman