Traditional Christmas Dinner

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdeer

Mar 28, 2006
My family and I will be in Cabarete this Christmas and I will be cooking Christmas dinner. I would like to know what some of the traditional dishes served over the Christmas are? And, what I am most likely not going to be able to find such as cranberry sauce, brussel sprouts, mince tarts etc. I would like to blend both Canadian and Dominican dishes for our meal and would appreciate any information. Thanks very much,

vince1956

On Vacation!
May 24, 2006
Rocky,s menu

My family and I will be in Cabarete this Christmas and I will be cooking Christmas dinner. I would like to know what some of the traditional dishes served over the Christmas are? And, what I am most likely not going to be able to find such as cranberry sauce, brussel sprouts, mince tarts etc. I would like to blend both Canadian and Dominican dishes for our meal and would appreciate any information. Thanks very much,

Traditional Turkey Dinner with Cranberry Sauce, Stuffing and Gravy,
served with Mashed Potatoes, Carrots, Cauliflower, Broccoli, Brussel Sprouts and Candied Yams. Home Made Pies, Cakes and Ice Cream included.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/general-stuff/54582-thanksgiving-party-rockys.html

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Reading the post above again Vince1956 I see that kdeer was refering to CHRISTMAS fayre - not Thanksgiving, so most of "Rocky's" menu would NOT appear on the Typical Domincan Christmas dinner table!

First thing to remember kdeer is that the Christmas celebration meal will be on the CHRISTMAS EVE - not Christmas Day. The 'WELL OFF' families will have turkey & pork on the table with a fair supply of various vegetables. The lower 'middle class' will be more towards Chicken & Pork with some vegetables but also rice & platano, whilst the less well off will be cooking chicken (if they are lucky) with rice, beans & platano. I'll leave the culinary experts expound further but this will give you a rule of thumb.

Whatever you are preparing & having devoured by your family & friends, ENJOY & be peaceful!! ~ Grahame.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Lechon asado (roast suckling pig), moro de guandules con coco (rice with pigeon peas and coconut milk) and ensalada rusa (potato salad). There's a website on the subject somewhere or other, where these and other recipes may be found.

wishingiwasthere

Nov 19, 2005
Even though none of the above applies to me it makes me smile inside - why?

What a wonderfull site we have here! Great people helping each other out with our common bond of loving the DR! :D

Bushbaby - Im back in 47 days! Ill start another "one for the brits" thread so start thinking about what you require.
Penguin bars I believe for she who must be......
Lime Pickle
Cadburys Dairy Milk

Let me know closer to the time.

Once again - peace and goodwill to all!

Dan & Jenni
WishingIwasthere

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Dan & Jenni (WishingIwasthere)
Penguins always make 'She who must be ........' a happy camper but the Lime Pickjle was for Chiri down in Sto Dgo - I was merely to be the conduit for her.

I may be ordering some small items on e-Bay shortly which are UK based, if so I will check in with you to see if you have baggage space for them. If you get "extra baggage dispensation" from the airline - some lovely give-aways for children from the stationery stores that we can pass over to some schools here would be a far better use of that space!!

Thanks for the thought & stay in touch ~ Grahame.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Kdeer- no problem with most items that would be considered Canadian when you create your blend of Canada and the Dominican Republic. The one thing I cannot find here is Yams - We have sweet potatoes but they are just not the same for me. Cranberries, no problem, same for brussel sprouts (yuck).

Status
Not open for further replies.