Having problem with ORANGE, what should I do?

Taiwan

Dec 2, 2003
At the beginning of the month, I saw orange?s advertisement about their new wireless internet service, they claimed to offer a speed of 200kps for about Rd2000 pesos per month, I was told that the service is available in the city of Santiago. I signed a contract with them for the period of a year, but when I came home, and plug the modem into my computer, I only got an average of 2.5 kps, so I called *555 and let them know what was happening to me on 10 of Nov, they promised to have my problem solved in 72 working hours, I waited and never hear from them again, so I called back several times, but they keep on telling me to wait for their technician to call, but they never did. I called them back today saying that I would like to cancel my internet service, they said that I have signed a contract with them, if I want to cancel my service, I have to pay them RD500 a month for one year. Is there anything I could do to avoid the penalty? I mean I signed the contract with them based on the service of the speed of 200kps, isn?t that part of the contract too? Is there some kind of consumer protection institute here? I feel so powerless when dealing with big company like that, any ideas? Thanks.

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
First thing is that you signed for a service that you are not receiving, so you must call to indotel and make a report, trust me they work very good, I have a good experience with them, they really help.

You must have the report number of your case in Orange because they dont do nothing after you report the case to your company and if you dont receive any help of them so they are able to help you.

If you have your case number in Orange them contact to indotel explain your problem, that you signed for one service and they are giving you less than you signed for, and still you are waitting for they call back and now you wants to cancel the service and they want you to pay 500 per month for 1 year.

sent an e mail to centrodeasistencia@indotel.org.do by phone 1-809-200-5353 toll free or visit Instituto Dominicano de las Telecomunicaciones - INDOTEL hope your spanish is good.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
As far as users have been telling me, this Orange service sucks !

It is relatively expensive for real slow speed. Much slower than dial-up...

I never ever heard of a happy user !

I would say it's not worth it : either you have access to phone lines, and you can suscribe to ADSL or dial-up if ADSL is not avalaible, or you are far away from phone lines, and you invest in a satelite-internet system...

Last edited:

tazboardergirl

Aug 5, 2006
what service to use?

I'm arriving in santo domingo the 30th of nov, staying for a few days to take care of business before i go to where i'll be living, which is in or near punta cana. I would like to know the best cellular phone service to use? Doenst just one company cover the whole area? thanks for any help
michelle

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
I have use Verizon, Centennial and Orange, and for me the better customer service and prices it´s been Centennial. It´s has good coverage in the way to Santo Domingo to whole Punta Cana and Bavaro area. Actually Im using Centennial still.

Don Pedro

Apr 2, 2005
I used Verizon (wireless PCMI card) too. It did not work properly.
The average speed was 32 KPS!
I went to STG main office (tech support) and spent 3 hours.
First, of course, they said it was my laptop...They were not able to get a decent speed with any laptop in the office.
Verizon install an add on with the main software.( I do not remember the name today). This add on is suppose to accelerate big file on download.
I learn the day I visited this add on is not ON at D.R. Verizon.
That means you have this icone on the tools bar, spinning for nothing !

Cirilo

Mar 17, 2005
To get benefit of the 200 kbps, your phone must be able to receive EDGE, and of course be in an area covered by the EDGE. Else you'll have the slow GPRS connection - which is really bad...

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
I think the provider needs to also support EDGE speeds, I wonder if Orange in DR does that !? (They can't even supply the normal GPRS speeds....)