Searching for roots of family tree

platanos64

Nov 6, 2006
I am new to this forum and need some guidance on where to post this message. Rick, maybe you can help. Reading about the Haitin and African-American influence in the Dominican Rep has rekindle my interst to find out more about my family and I want to know if there's a Dominican registry that I can link on to. I was born in Puerto Plata and grew up in the United States. Have not been back in a while due to personal issues. Last time I visited I was intrigued by the fact that my grandfather's last name (DILONE=French) on my mother side was less prevelant in my mother's barrio than my grandmother's maiden name (LUCIANO=Italian).

The topic of him(his family) being Haitian (or of haitian decent) was never brought up or talked about.In fact it was always a no no subject. And giving the history (especially during Trujillo) it was probably in his and his family's best interest to keep it as the young folks say on the Down Low.

Needless to say they have since passed and my mother does not want to talk about my grandfather's last name. I now have 3 beautiful children (all born in the U.S.) of my own and would like to pass own my wonderful history along with those of my descendents. Finding out archives will help me get started.

Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time and attention.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Dilon? is not a Haitian surname. If you are dark-skinned you probably got your color from other than your Dilon? ancestors. By the way, contrary to certain misguided and misguiding authors, Trujillo never denied his Haitian ancestry (from her maternal grandmother, Ercin? Chevalier).

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Diloné is a very popular last name in the Linea Noroeste. Mao, Santiago Rodríguez, Dajabon and Monte Cristi all have a lot of Diloné families.

There is a column inthe Hoy newspaper that is published by the Dominican geneological society....pretty interesting. I'll get their web page and send it toyou.

By the way, all the Dilonés I have known are very Dominican in their features, and some of the women were drop dead gorgeous!!

HB

platanos64

Nov 6, 2006
Rick thanks for setting it up. I appreciate that.

Mirador & HB= Thanks for the quick response and feedback.

Look forward to getting the info HB and anything else you and others can send my way.

Have a good evening everyone!