Dolphin Island

ebabs

Sep 20, 2006
Is this attraction open? Website is vague. Can't find much info. Any advice is appreciated. Teen sons and I coming to DR in December. Thanks in advance for your help.

carolina_22

May 31, 2004
I know a couple months ago it was opened, I guess it still is. It was around 95$US per adult and 50% per child under 12. It is a 3 hour approx. excursion including transportation, a group of around 10 people goes by speed boat to a platform in the middle of the ocean. The dolfins will do some jumps & turns in front of you, and you will swim with them for about 20-25min, you can touch them while they swim around you.
Hope this helps!

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
There are two places in the Punta Cana area to interact with dolphins. The first and oldest is Manati Park but unfortunately they have a very bad reputation for their treatment of those beautiful animals and there are many international efforts underway to try to either get them to mend their ways dramatically or close. Even the DR government, which has historically turned a blind eye has begun to make noises due to the international pressures. Some resort have refused to allow this excursion to be sold from their properties.

Manati Park has, in the past made promises to clean up but when it came time for action their actual response was to build Dolphin Island, a floating series of pens anchored off the coast.

Yes, you read right, Manati Park and Dolphin Island share the same uncaring ownership and utilize the same dolphins for their interactions, which are allegedly traumatized by their Manati Park experiences.

Dolphin Island consists of one large and four smaller enclosed pens with wooden walkways around the perimeters. I have yet to see pictures of nor hear of anyone who has seen the dolphins in the large enclosure, presumably due to their lack of socialization in large bodies of water resulting in their preference for the smaller pens.

I hope you will do a Google search for "Manati Park cruelty" without the quotation marks and read a broad selection of the information which pops up before you decided to support this company.

Ocean World, .:: Ocean World ::. (a company with an impeccable record) has purchased land in the Punta Cana area and will hopefully begin construction soon as this area sorely needs an alternative to Manati Park / Dolphin Island, IMHO.

Good travels.

Gregg

Kaki

Sep 18, 2005
Dolphin Island is associated with Manati Park which has a legion of opponents. Please do a bit of research before you decide whether to give them your money or not.

Omega-News: CAPTIVE DOLPHINS IN THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC

There is an online petition looking for signatures to shut down these dolphin parks. Plan a trip Ocean World in Puerto Plata for a humane visit with the dolphins.

Kaki

ebabs

Sep 20, 2006
Your information was valuable. I abhor inhumane treatment of any animal. Thank you for your honest and tactful warnings. Is Ocean World a day-trip excursion from Punta Cana?

carolina_22

May 31, 2004
oh my goddd!!!

I did not know that...wow, for sure now I will stop selling them, both manati & dolfin island.
I am going back for a couple of months and trust me, we will end their business! especially when ocean world will open in Punta Cana.