Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Question on Backpacking...

You think it is safe to backpack across the country alone...I used to backpack, in other countries. I would start off in the morning and hike all day...sometimes taking rides...depending on when I needed to be at a certain location. I am itching really bad to do this right now. I need to lose some weight and this is a good way to do it. All those rib test has put the pounds on me. I just want to grab the pack and go. For some reason I feel unsafe in this country doing this kind of thing. I think I may be just paranoid from all that has been happening. I'm thinking that as long as I am in before late night, I should be safe.

batich

I`d call it JOKE OF THE DAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Snuffy View Post
    You think it is safe to backpack across the country alone...I used to backpack, in other countries. I would start off in the morning and hike all day...sometimes taking rides...depending on when I needed to be at a certain location. I am itching really bad to do this right now. I need to lose some weight and this is a good way to do it. All those rib test has put the pounds on me. I just want to grab the pack and go. For some reason I feel unsafe in this country doing this kind of thing. I think I may be just paranoid from all that has been happening. I'm thinking that as long as I am in before late night, I should be safe.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

You really think so? Perhaps you are right. It could happen very quickly that I get robbed by two on a pasola. That is what I think could happen. Probably nothing more. They would take my pack, some clothes, cell phone, a little money. It wouldnt be that much of a loss.

batich

You think they would be happy to leave a witness who could identify them?

Maybe. Who knows...

You really think so? Perhaps you are right. It could happen very quickly that I get robbed by two on a pasola. That is what I think could happen. Probably nothing more. They would take my pack, some clothes, cell phone, a little money. It wouldnt be that much of a loss.

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink The Hiker

... It could happen very quickly that I get robbed by two on a pasola. That is what I think could happen. Probably nothing more. They would take my pack, some clothes, cell phone, a little money. It wouldnt be that much of a loss.
    Yes, and remember the voice mumbling from an ostrich head dug in the sand:
    'Don't you worry, could happen anywhere in the world....'

m'frog

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

batich....to complicated here to find those who took a few small items. No one is going to try and track them down. Often snatch and runs occur here. But damn, it is just to crazy right now. So I guess that isn't going to happen. Okay, another one day hike in Constanza.

batich

batich....to complicated here to find those who took a few small items. No one is going to try and track them down. Often snatch and runs occur here. But damn, it is just to crazy right now. So I guess that isn't going to happen. Okay, another one day hike in Constanza.

Just be careful at least.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I run around the Cordillera on research from time to time, using guaguas and all that, looking like a backpacker. I speak Spanish, and with a bit of common sense I haven't got myself into trouble. Perhaps things are different in the North coast but the cordillera is a great place to run around as a backpacker. Go for it

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Snuffy, go for it. For heaven's sake. You wont have trouble. I have travelled all round this island, never a problem.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Go East young man, go East!

I can't speak for those parts of the North coast and the Western edges of the island but here in the Eastern end I think you would be okay. At least my travels and experiences would indicate such.

If you ever get around El Seybo just drop in as there will always be a place for you. Not the Hilton but I don't want for anything ..... Except the English language. Hehehe

Rick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast