Question on Backpacking...

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
You think it is safe to backpack across the country alone...I used to backpack, in other countries. I would start off in the morning and hike all day...sometimes taking rides...depending on when I needed to be at a certain location. I am itching really bad to do this right now. I need to lose some weight and this is a good way to do it. All those rib test has put the pounds on me. I just want to grab the pack and go. For some reason I feel unsafe in this country doing this kind of thing. I think I may be just paranoid from all that has been happening. I'm thinking that as long as I am in before late night, I should be safe.

B

batich

I`d call it JOKE OF THE DAY!

You think it is safe to backpack across the country alone...I used to backpack, in other countries. I would start off in the morning and hike all day...sometimes taking rides...depending on when I needed to be at a certain location. I am itching really bad to do this right now. I need to lose some weight and this is a good way to do it. All those rib test has put the pounds on me. I just want to grab the pack and go. For some reason I feel unsafe in this country doing this kind of thing. I think I may be just paranoid from all that has been happening. I'm thinking that as long as I am in before late night, I should be safe.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
You really think so? Perhaps you are right. It could happen very quickly that I get robbed by two on a pasola. That is what I think could happen. Probably nothing more. They would take my pack, some clothes, cell phone, a little money. It wouldnt be that much of a loss.

B

batich

You think they would be happy to leave a witness who could identify them?

Maybe. Who knows...

You really think so? Perhaps you are right. It could happen very quickly that I get robbed by two on a pasola. That is what I think could happen. Probably nothing more. They would take my pack, some clothes, cell phone, a little money. It wouldnt be that much of a loss.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
The Hiker

... It could happen very quickly that I get robbed by two on a pasola. That is what I think could happen. Probably nothing more. They would take my pack, some clothes, cell phone, a little money. It wouldnt be that much of a loss.

Yes, and remember the voice mumbling from an ostrich head dug in the sand:
'Don't you worry, could happen anywhere in the world....'

:bunny: :bunny:

m'frog

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
batich....to complicated here to find those who took a few small items. No one is going to try and track them down. Often snatch and runs occur here. But damn, it is just to crazy right now. So I guess that isn't going to happen. Okay, another one day hike in Constanza.

B

batich

batich....to complicated here to find those who took a few small items. No one is going to try and track them down. Often snatch and runs occur here. But damn, it is just to crazy right now. So I guess that isn't going to happen. Okay, another one day hike in Constanza.

Just be careful at least.

George Holmes

Nov 15, 2006
dofieldwork.blogspot.com
I run around the Cordillera on research from time to time, using guaguas and all that, looking like a backpacker. I speak Spanish, and with a bit of common sense I haven't got myself into trouble. Perhaps things are different in the North coast but the cordillera is a great place to run around as a backpacker. Go for it

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Go East young man, go East!

I can't speak for those parts of the North coast and the Western edges of the island but here in the Eastern end I think you would be okay. At least my travels and experiences would indicate such.

If you ever get around El Seybo just drop in as there will always be a place for you. Not the Hilton but I don't want for anything ..... Except the English language. Hehehe

Rick

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Snuffy:
Go up to San Jos? de las Matas or get to Juncalito and go into the woods.

And old friend, Larry Darwin, used to do weekend hikes over the mountains to San Juan de la Maguana, and then take publicos back to Santiago....

I would not worry much about hiking if you know the safety precautions: matches, food, water, compass, knife and a good map...

If I had two knees, I'd go with you!

HB

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
...and getting rides from strangers (if/when you need them) is still an accepted and widely used way to get around...It's changing, but you can still hitch hike with no problem. Most likely they will just be curious how come a foreigner is "pidiendo bola"...

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Snuffy, just do it and write a book in the end. Don't worry, nothing will happen to you. If you get busted anywhere, just call me and I will come and get you. Or maybe take over from where you left off.
AZB

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
You will be far safer to have a hiking partner with you. Alone, you are a real mark. Please don't tempt fate, (unless of course you are a Master of martial arts). Canadian Bob.