Permanent Resident Time Frame

mart0417

Oct 25, 2006
Does anyone know the average time it is taking for a permanent Resident visa for Canada. We were married in April. Haiti started processing Sept. We have no children involved, he has not been married before, neither have I. As far as I am concerned we shoud have a pretty straight forward application.

KIMMYGIRL

Dec 9, 2005
time

Please check out my thread "He got the call!" and Baileyboy's blog. But from what I have been reading, they get the interview date in about 4-5 months.

Kim

baileyboy

Jun 27, 2004
Does anyone know the average time it is taking for a permanent Resident visa for Canada. We were married in April. Haiti started processing Sept. We have no children involved, he has not been married before, neither have I. As far as I am concerned we shoud have a pretty straight forward application.

You should be getting an interview in January, and then about a month afterwards, if you stay on top of things, he should be going back to Sto DOmingo to pick his passport up. So around Feb/March is when he will be coming to Cda.

I too, am married, and my husband is coming soon. He is picking his passport up tomorrow. Our application was the same as your, neither of us married, none of us have any children, very straightforward.

You can read my trials and tribulations with Immigration, on my blog, http://www.dr1.com/blogs/?u=baileyboy

And if you have any questions, you can PM me. I feel like I'm an expert on this whole thing...but I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel!
Lisa

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
You should all be thanking....

your lucky stars! To get permanent residency for your Dominican husbands so quickly, and yet you all think it is taking so long!
Let me tell you a brief story, and Trina can attest to it, since she and I talked a lot about it.
I live common-law with an American citizen from Minnesota. We met here in Ontario. He owned a bait and tackle shop. We fell in love. We moved in together. We bought a house together. We are a typical couple. We own a boat, snowmachine, a truck, a car. We both have great jobs, we make good money, and we belong to many communtiy groups. We are outdoor enthusiasts, and play baseball in the summer and curl in the winter. We are - what you call - well rounded individuals!
It took 3 years for his permanent residency to be approved. Thats right - 3 whole years!!! He does not have children, never been married, college educated, served in the US Navy, no criminal record, is self-sufficient - makes a heck of a lot more money than me. Lived here in Canada for 2 years before I met him, having to do so on work visas through his business.
So, forgive me, but have a little patience. I still can not believe that a Dominican (who speaks or does not speak English) (who has a job lined up in Canada or does not) (who has his own bank account in Canada or not) can get his permanent residency in less time than a white American who owned his own business in Canada!
Now, don't get me wrong , I am very happy for all of you who have found a wonderful husband and can't wait for him to arrive, but patience is the key. You are all getting off fairly easy in regards to time frame - so feel fortunate.
Just wanted to put it into perspective.
Marlie

mart0417

Oct 25, 2006
patience

Yes I know patience is a big thing and Kimmy I have been following your post I check everyday hoping you have news.

I have known a couple ( my uncle is one) of people from the US get perm. res. in Canada that took years. It took my unlce 3 1/2 years. why the difference who knows.

I am just missing him so much and want to start a life here.