Nine employees die in SD fire...

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Suspicious? Why?

Maybe, while cleaning up, they acccidently dumped an ashtray full of cigarette butts in the trash without thinking that maybe a butt was still hot?

Who knows, it is under investigation - let the fire department specualte if it is suspicious or not.

I am sorry, but unless you have inside information, I feel that you may be adding to a paranoia that has already inflicted itself upon many DR1 readers!

Let us, instead of speculating, bow our heads and say a prayer for the families of all the victims.

Marlie

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Why on earth would you say - A bit suspicious??? There is enough rumour mongering here without adding to it.

The CNN article said:

A preliminary investigation indicated an electric short circuit caused the fire, national police chief Bernardo Santana Paez said.

It is very sad and unfortunate we dont' need to make it more then that right now.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Wow...I'm shocked. I know this place as my half brother has a small eating place right across from it. As a matter of fact because of the distinct shape of the building (arabic style???) was how I knew to get to my brother's business. I have never been inside the building itself as my brother adviced me to not go because there were frequent fights and at one time someone had gotten killed in there. It was well known that it was a place with prostitutes. They would go and buy or ask my brother for stuff on credit...

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
This may be a reminder to people to exercise caution when going to places like discos and night clubs to be sure they are aware of the location of the nearest fire exits. I have left many places in the DR when I have noticed what appeared to be too many people or too few fire exits. (Especially with the way Dominicans do electrical wiring). Obviously these people were prevented from escaping the fire.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
The pictures certainly capture the electricity situation! I can't help laughing, but it is really a terrible problem for 95% of the people on the island and there is no solution at hand, I must stop now & have a stiff shot of Brugal... Canadian Bob.

Sep 19, 2005
This may be a reminder to people to exercise caution when going to places like discos and night clubs to be sure they are aware of the location of the nearest fire exits. I have left many places in the DR when I have noticed what appeared to be too many people or too few fire exits. (Especially with the way Dominicans do electrical wiring). Obviously these people were prevented from escaping the fire.

Howmar....I had those exact thoughts at the NEW LOS COLINAS mall in Santiago...I have been seeing it for several trips and finally took my GF there. As it ended up the mall is less than half completed, but at least about a dozen stores were open for buisness anyway. As we walked around i saw the shells of future stores...maybe20 feet wide X 30 feet deep....all cement walls. I figured there would be a back entrance.....NOPE....all those stores are three solid walls with an open front, that would probably be glass eventually. I told my gf, what do you think would happen if a fire started right in front of one of those stores.... the people in that store, would be stuff stuck in their store.

on another note...it is shaping up to be a very american style mall...skylights lots of glass, open balconies with glass elevators.... saw my first sheets of dry wall in the DR there.....

funny thing was of those few stores open, one was a nestles ice cream shop....and right next to it , was one of those isle style vendor operations, that ALSO was selling ice cream. It was called Splash......talk about competition!! ha ha ha ha............5 feet from each other!

bob

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Excellent advice!

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
I think Kaki in the use of 'suspicious' was referring to the hour that the fire happened and the supposed idea that the establishment was open later then the hours that the government has established that such establishments close.

If this in fact are the facts of the case then 9 people died because an owner decided to break the law. Now THAT, if true, makes this case a true, true tragedy beyond what is preceived.

Rick

http://www.dominicantoday.com/app/article.aspx?id=19976

Last edited:

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I went back and reread the CNN article. I understood it to say that only employees were in the building and that all of them lived on the second floor. 8 bodies were found on the second floor and they all died of smoke inhalation. The doors were locked from the inside.

To me that says the business was closed, doors locked from inside. I made the assumption that the 8 upstairs were asleep as they were not found downstairs trying to get out of the building. It doesn't say where the other was found.

Did I miss something? (I am not being sarcastic here.)

Mortran

Oct 12, 2004
anti-jihad.dd.vg
If this in fact are the facts of the case then 9 people died because an owner decided to break the law. Now THAT, if true, makes this case a true, true tragedy beyond what is preceived.
There is no law that establishes closing hours for nightclubs. Obviously you refer to the illegal presidential decree, which violates article 4 + 8 of the constitution.
And it is also obvious that the club was indeed closed when the accident happened and it has nothing to do with this decree, as Planner already pointed out. It seems that some people are not familiar with this kind of business. It is quite common the the employees sleep there.
In fact the accident would not have happened, if there would not be this illegitimate curfew, and the business had stayed open. Because in this case nobody would have been trapped sleeping.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
There is a lot of wrong information being circulated by some press (how unusual!). According to the owner, the fire started in the back or side of the club via a spike in electricity or short circuit in the breaker box and smoke entered the dormitory adjacent to the building, killing the people sleeping there which were 3 bartenders and 6 working girls.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
There is no law that establishes closing hours for nightclubs. Obviously you refer to the illegal presidential decree, which violates article 4 + 8 of the constitution.
And it is also obvious that the club was indeed closed when the accident happened and it has nothing to do with this decree, as Planner already pointed out. It seems that some people are not familiar with this kind of business. It is quite common the the employees sleep there.
In fact the accident would not have happened, if there would not be this illegitimate curfew, and the business had stayed open. Because in this case nobody would have been trapped sleeping.

.... exactly!

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
The Coconut Grove fire in Boston occurred 58 years ago today in 1942. The nightclub fire killed 492 people and led to sweeping changes in fire safety codes. The owner was convicted of manslaughter and sent to prison.

Will there be any revision of fire laws here and pressure for enforcement of them as a result of this fire?

My money is on no.

We're not in Kansas, Dorothy. :tired:

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
According to published reports, the neighbors heard screaming around 3 am, and several of them rushed to the front door of the establishment, and the watchman did not allow them to enter. Firefighters were called around 3:30 am, and they didn't arrive until after 5 am. Both, the watchman and the club's administrator have been arrested...

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
The fact that the OP used the word ?suspicious? brought out the next two post against the use of such a word and in so doing aspersions were cast upon the OP. As the OP had the good sense to include a question mark after the ?offensive? word I feel that the next two posts were uncalled for. This is especially true after reading all the different media reports last night and today because this whole tragedy sounds very SUSPICIOUS. The reasoning for my first post was to offer what I thought might be the reasoning behind the use of such a word. Nothing more and nothing less.

This case of people losing their lives in a fire is very tragic. The fact that the doors were all locked with padlocks in this particular case make it even more tragic. The fact that the doors were locked from both the inside and outside is also tragic. The supposed late arrival of the firefighters, their not having any flashlights, the guard denying people to offer assistance, the lack of smoke detectors, exhaust fans and the many other things mentioned in the media all play a part in this tragedy.

List?n Diario (Edici?n Digital) Bienvenido
El Nuevo Diario
Bienvenidos al Hoy Digital
Diario Libre Online
http://www.elcaribe.com.do/articulo...d=07599E3A820C4BF684F91B965AAB645D&Seccion=63
El Nacional, la voz de todos

The media articles from yesterday mentioned that a number of parents had no idea that their loved ones worked in such a place. There was also a mention that the excess beds upstairs were used for prostitution. A lot of speculating was going on yesterday concerning this tragedy but as the facts are coming out there appears to have been a lot of suspicious or bad behavior on the parts of a lot of people.

Mortran I would suggest that if you should want to argue the constitution and laws that you start your own thread and not bring it into a thread dealing with such a tragic blunder. Especially after the facts of this case come to light. I only mentioned the ?presidential decree? as a possible reason as to the OP using the word ?suspicious? and did not mean or intend to start a debate as to the supposed illegality of such a decree. This is the reason this board has a ?debates? forum.

Rick

I think Kaki in the use of 'suspicious' was referring to the hour that the fire happened and the supposed idea that the establishment was open later then the hours that the government has established that such establishments close.

Rick

http://www.dominicantoday.com/app/article.aspx?id=19976

The employees of Jazzys lived on the 2nd floor so it had nothing to do with the curfew, Know the place very well. My condolences to all the families.

Mortran

Oct 12, 2004
anti-jihad.dd.vg
Mortran I would suggest that if you should want to argue the constitution and laws that you start your own thread and not bring it into a thread dealing with such a tragic blunder. Especially after the facts of this case come to light. I only mentioned the ?presidential decree? as a possible reason as to the OP using the word ?suspicious? and did not mean or intend to start a debate as to the supposed illegality of such a decree. This is the reason this board has a ?debates? forum.
I only referred to the statement "the owner decided to break the law", since there is no such law (Laws are issued by the congress.). I did not want to discuss the presidential decree here (even if it caused 9 casualties in this case), and it was not me who brought this issue up in this thread. I only tried to defed the owner against unjust accusations. This is a very tragic accident and the owner of the business is besides the 9 victims certainly among those most affected by this tragedy.