How to Send Text Messages to DR from US

pielmorena

Oct 23, 2006
Was wondering...
I currently have Sprint service in US and would like to send text message to someone in DR with Orange mobile service. I've tried using regular text messaging from my cell phone but they never receive it. Any suggestions..????

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
However,

Please note that the Orange text messaging service is not working or hasn't been working for the past week or so.

Sep 19, 2005
I know verizon isnt Orange...but I had to SIGN UP for international text messaging, to be able to text message the DR with my verizon account.....

bob

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I TEXT Verizon Dominicana Cell phones with my Verizon USA Cell and never signed up for any new plans.

tambo

pielmorena

Oct 23, 2006
I know verizon isnt Orange...but I had to SIGN UP for international text messaging, to be able to text message the DR with my verizon account.....

bob

Actually, I am currently signed up with Sprint PCS International Calling Plan and have not been able to text message to DR.
I'll try Tmaborista's suiggestion as soon as Orange site is up and running...

tx

Robin'sGirl

Jul 10, 2006
I send text messages on a daily basis to a orange subscriber. I have T Mobile and it works about 95% of the time. No separate International text message plan is required. However, international text messages are more expensive than domestic.

curlyq

Mar 20, 2006
I have been texting on a regular basis for years. In the past I had Sprint Canada, I am now a Rogers customer. I have no separate international plan, I just pay $.40 cents instead of $.15 cents for local texts.

Maybe you should call your provider and ask some questions if you have'nt already.

Good luck

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
text canada to dr

hi curly

intl texts with rogers are 20c per text from canada to the dr.
if you order the intl plan for 7$ per month you get the first 50 incl in that 7$ for 14c per text.

i am able to send all messages from rogers to orange but i have a difficult time receiving the replies...they also come days later if at all

Sep 19, 2005
tambo.....
I could not text the my gf's verizon phone..maybe because it isnt on a plan, she only can use pre paid cards...

then on the other hand the verizon customer service person told me the reason was , because I wasnt signed up for INTERNATIONAL text messaging....and now on my bill I see a charge for that service....I have the family share plan.....Is it possible it is free with YOUR specific plan.

I am actually thinking of getting a monthly plan for her.....because it is cheaper to call america on a plan she said than the prepaid cards( about 9 pesos a minute).

bob

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I have a basic plan with PAY PER TEXT message service, no international plan, I use calling cards to call DR. I never have an issue TEXTING calling card phones. Verizon reps are not the sharpest. I have been given false info on more than one occasion.
PM me your novia's phone number, I will be happy to see if I can TEXT her.
I promise no funny stuff;)

your pal,

tambo

Sep 19, 2005
well I have always had text messaging on my phone, They would work with my daughters phone or another buddies phone, but I kept getting a canned message from Verizon, that I could not text message my GFs number...I forget the exact message.....

from your post it almost sounds like you are texting the DR from calling cards.......unless you text with your verizon account and call with calling cards...

my verizon wireless rate is 25 centes per minute to a DR cell phone.....my house plan is 19 cents a minute...and I have a Tel 3 account at 13 cents....but i hate all the extra numbers with TEL3......

let me think about your offer for a few years.....ill get back to you ha ha ha

bob

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Cingular to Orange

I text message several people in the DR on a daily basis. I have never had a problem with Cingular to Orange or receiving Orange to Cingular. Sending and receiving from Verison DR to my Cingular has only became a problem of late.
Summary of
Wireless Data Msg/KB/Min
Included
In Plan Msg/KB/
Min Used Billed
Msg/KB/Min Billed
Rate Total
Charge
/TEXT MSG PAY PER USE
Text Messaging Incoming 54 54 0.10 5.40
Text Messaging Outgoing 80 80 0.10 8.00
Subtotal $13.40

TOTAL USAGE CHARGES $14.09

Chuckuindy

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Was wondering...
I currently have Sprint service in US and would like to send text message to someone in DR with Orange mobile service. I've tried using regular text messaging from my cell phone but they never receive it. Any suggestions..????
You may want to call Sprint. I have no problems sending text messages from my Sprint phone to Orange phones in the DR.

As far as I know, I don't have any special plan.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
my verizon wireless rate is 25 centes per minute to a DR cell phone.....my house plan is 19 cents a minute...and I have a Tel 3 account at 13 cents....but i hate all the extra numbers with TEL3......
You still haven't signed up for kissld? .12 per min to the DR from your home phone, no extra numbers to dial.

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
I have a Tel 3 account at 13 cents....but i hate all the extra numbers with TEL3......

bob

I also use Tel 3 and still think it may be the best. Say Bob If you give me your g/f's number I will put her on my Tel 3 speed dial. BTW that save dialing all of those numbers. Another hit is that I always use a 1 + area code to avoid pushing the # when using Tel 3.

Chuckuindy

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Have you tried this method?

UNO de Verizon

Tamborista: Beat me to it... This normally works great for me for any Verizon phone and it's free.

LPF: For good calling rates use http://www.uniontelecard.com and buy the Crazy USA card. A 10 USD card gives me about 1 1/2 hours to a cell phone and 4+ hours to a house phone. I also have it on automatic recharge that way I use the same pin over and over which I have now memorized, that way don't have to remember a new one every time.

curlyq

Mar 20, 2006
Sangria you are right.

I was just in Dominican Republic and that was the cost for local texts and to send home from there. Thanks for the info. I'll check it out.