Santo Domingo to Paraiso in the SW

fightingirish

Dec 8, 2005
Once we got past Barahona the road became windy and the views became breathless. It is reminiscent of Northern California, with rocky cliffs plunging down into the sea, except here the water is torquoise and shimmering.

The drive alone is worth the trip.

We stayed in Hotel Paraiso, which was clean and the staff were friendly. The hotel lost power every 20 minutes all night long, however.

A few warnings: there are no ATM's past Barahona, so have all the cash you plan on spending. There are no "restaurants" to speak of, either. Be prepared to eat at comedors -- usually private houses with a few plastic chairs on the porch.

Feb 15, 2005
But there are locations to eat along the trip. In paraiso there is a fantastic restaurant right by the ocean. It has two floors and full kitchen and staff. wonderful.

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
But there are locations to eat along the trip. In paraiso there is a fantastic restaurant right by the ocean. It has two floors and full kitchen and staff. wonderful.

They just opened up in August..VERY overpriced and the only + is the 2 pools they let you use if you eat there...I don't see them lasting very long..Nobody there can afford their menu and very few tourists visit my area..

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
Paraiso

Once we got past Barahona the road became windy and the views became breathless. It is reminiscent of Northern California, with rocky cliffs plunging down into the sea, except here the water is torquoise and shimmering.

The drive alone is worth the trip.

We stayed in Hotel Paraiso, which was clean and the staff were friendly. The hotel lost power every 20 minutes all night long, however.

A few warnings: there are no ATM's past Barahona, so have all the cash you plan on spending. There are no "restaurants" to speak of, either. Be prepared to eat at comedors -- usually private houses with a few plastic chairs on the porch.

Nice hotel with a very good pool..Only downfall is that 200 foot TV /cell tower next to the hotel..The upper deck is very cozy and you have kitchen priviledeges if you did not know that in the cooking area upstairs..Those apartments right in front facing the ocean is where I am while my house is being finished..Paraiso is really out there..Remote as can be but at least they have a Texaco Station..Did you notice the white water comming from the mountains emptying into sea? Just as you enter town from rt#44 and the sign welcome to Paraiso...Thats from mining operations up in the mountains..This has been going on for nearly a year now....Welcome to the Frontier......