Another Expat This Time In SD

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
"Austrian citizen murdered
Austrian citizen Marcos Elvis Cuevas Grinood, 40, was shot and killed last night during an attempted robbery. Cuevas was shot once in the chest while he was in his apartment in Santo Domingo's Anacaona Avenue. He was taken to the Real Medical Center on Ave. Romulo Betancourt Avenue where he was pronounced dead. Hoy reports that when Cuevas reached the hospital he was practically dead. Police are investigating whether the thieves were able to get away with any items that belonged to Cuevas, and are still looking for the assailants."

May he RIP. Did anyone know this person?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I would like to offer my condolences to the family
I have become jaded about the truthfulness of any of these online newspaper's reports.
Can Marcos Elvis Cuevas Greenwood truly be the name of a German man?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
THIS has to be a person of Dominican descent with Austrian citizenship.
Apparently, there have been arrests made and a nice police invitation to two fugitives to give it up.

HB

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
THIS has to be a person of Dominican descent with Austrian citizenship.
Apparently, there have been arrests made and a nice police invitation to two fugitives to give it up.

HB
That would make more sense.
It's just that the news report makes it sound like it was an expat.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Anacaona" Is One Of The "BEST" Areas Of Santo Domingo!!

No "Barrios Calientes" nearby!

I told my maid,AND my mother-in-law, yesterday that the next time I find the back door (Metal Grate) to the house open,will be the last!! I will "Padlock" it shut with a new padlock,and only I will have the key!!

If they want to shoot me,they will have to do it through the security grates!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

PS. I'll let you know when I put on the padlock! We all know that it is just a matter of time!! A Short Time I'll bet!!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
What's interesting is that most of those buildings have entry intercoms and security guards. Maybe he knew the robbers?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
No "Barrios Calientes" nearby!
Not really.
Many of the criminals who operate in the Bella Vista, Mirador Sur areas come from the neighbourhoods below Parque Mirador, like Honduras. The western end of Anacaona Avenue is adjacent to Herrera.

Also, the drug crime hotspot map published in the papers recently had Bella Vista as a high-drug use area.

El Vegano

Apr 20, 2006
Apparently they were known to the victim.

TV reports on this case last night indicated those involved were known to the victim and had been doing some kind of repair or improvement in the apartment. 3 have been caught already and one is at large. Photos and details of the alleged victimizers were also shown and our deficient police
seem to have done a quick, thorough job getting to the end of this.

Expat or not, all of us here are facing higher crime than before but still far below what happens in New York, Washington, D.C., Chicago, Paris, Madrid, etc. No one is completely safe anywhere and we have to be careful, being so dependent on the tourist industry, not to alarm those considering visiting us. Most come to a resort in which the chances of being victims of a crime are almost nonexistent.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
yes moreover the park was a regular spot for muggings adn attacks on lone strollers and joggers, so much so that the people I know over there banded together in jogging packs for protection.

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
TV reports on this case last night indicated those involved were known to the victim and had been doing some kind of repair or improvement in the apartment. 3 have been caught already and one is at large. Photos and details of the alleged victimizers were also shown and our deficient police
seem to have done a quick, thorough job getting to the end of this.

Expat or not, all of us here are facing higher crime than before but still far below what happens in New York, Washington, D.C., Chicago, Paris, Madrid, etc. No one is completely safe anywhere and we have to be careful, being so dependent on the tourist industry, not to alarm those considering visiting us. Most come to a resort in which the chances of being victims of a crime are almost nonexistent.

I'm not so sure crime is less than those cities that you mentioned. It may be unreported more in the DR.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I'm not so sure crime is less than those cities that you mentioned. It may be unreported more in the DR.
Perhaps, but I am still wondering why many buildings in Manhattan's Upper East Side and Upper West Side (the wealthiest neighborhoods), not to mention the most desirable addresses along Fifth Avenue still having bars on their windows.

Those places don't look run down, are not poor by any factuation of the imagination, and look rather safe. But the bars are still there.... :ermm:

Then again, shootings and killings do occur there from time to time.

Heck, not too far from Bill Clinton's home in Chappaqua in Westchester County a Hispanic lawyer and his wife was blocked by car at an intersection, a guy got out of the van, entered their car, shot the guy in the stomach and shot his wife in the head.

This happened an evening about a week or two ago after they attended an event in NYC. This happened in a suburb where 'nothing happens' and is overall very well to do.

Needless to say, his wife died later that evening while he is or was recuperating at a hospital in Westchester County. I have not heard any updates, but its proof once again that sometimes even good neighborhoods see their share of problems.

There are rumors that the murderer knew the victim, but still, a killing is a killing.

-NALs

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I get so tired of Nals. Because there is crime in NYC, he/she wants to belittle crime in the DR. Because there is crime in other places, Nals always puts forward the sneaky argument that crime where we live is OK. Because we can cite screeds of crime statistics for the world, he continually proposes that it is fine for us in the DR to live with crime. He proposes that it is OK for us to live with crime, because crime is everywhere. In such a manner, he wants to belittle the increase of crime in the DR. (Anyone figuring out by now that I'm p'ssed off?).

Nals, no, it is not fine. It is not fine in NYC, and it is not fine in Santo Domingo. Upper East in Manhattan should have bars. Very rich people live there, you know. Generally, these are really successful people who prefer to live in New York, and not out in South Hampton somehwere. They are targets, by what they are. These are the filthy rich you know!

Most of us in the DR are not the filthy rich. Most of us are expats that made some money sometime in our lives and decided to cash out and live in a quieter place, and live different lives, where life is easy and the weather is fine. Many expats in the DR have saved for a lifetime to afford a house in a paradise. They've paid their dues. They've made their decisions.

No Nals, because there is crime on the Upper East Side, it does not make Crime in the DR more acceptable.

B

batich

With all due respect I`d dare to say that I got a feeling that he (she?) spoke about something very different.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Dios mio!!!!

I get so tired of Nals. Because there is crime in NYC, he/she wants to belittle crime in the DR. Because there is crime in other places, Nals always puts forward the sneaky argument that crime where we live is OK. Because we can cite screeds of crime statistics for the world, he continually proposes that it is fine for us in the DR to live with crime. He proposes that it is OK for us to live with crime, because crime is everywhere. In such a manner, he wants to belittle the increase of crime in the DR. (Anyone figuring out by now that I'm p'ssed off?).

Nals, no, it is not fine. It is not fine in NYC, and it is not fine in Santo Domingo. Upper East in Manhattan should have bars. Very rich people live there, you know. Generally, these are really successful people who prefer to live in New York, and not out in South Hampton somehwere. They are targets, by what they are. These are the filthy rich you know!

Most of us in the DR are not the filthy rich. Most of us are expats that made some money sometime in our lives and decided to cash out and live in a quieter place, and live different lives, where life is easy and the weather is fine. Many expats in the DR have saved for a lifetime to afford a house in a paradise. They've paid their dues. They've made their decisions.

No Nals, because there is crime on the Upper East Side, it does not make Crime in the DR more acceptable.
No Chris, that's not what I was saying.

However, if you would read the response elvegano posted, you would have noticed this he/she wrote:

"Expat or not, all of us here are facing higher crime than before but still far below what happens in New York, Washington, D.C., Chicago, Paris, Madrid, etc. No one is completely safe anywhere and we have to be careful, being so dependent on the tourist industry, not to alarm those considering visiting us. Most come to a resort in which the chances of being victims of a crime are almost nonexistent."

That's a perfect example of a DR1er trying to belittle crime in the DR (of course, you are probably not tired of seeing such posts from other DR1ers, only those from mua.)

Afterwards, jruane44 posted a response to elvegano stating:

"I'm not so sure crime is less than those cities that you mentioned. It may be unreported more in the DR."

That's an example of another DR1er trying to belittle crime in the U.S. vs. crime in the DR.

To that particular response I posted my response.

So Chris, once again you are wrong in your assumption of why I posted what I posted. Afterall, were I not the one who posted the statistics on crime in the DR, you know, the statistics that you don't believe????

Why would I post statistics of crime in the DR if I really want to belittle such???

I bet you did not even read the following sentence I posted in the response:

"...its proof once again that sometimes even good neighborhoods see their share of problems."

Probably didn't made the connection between the OP's report on what happened in a relatively good neighborhood in Santo Domingo and that sentence I posted.

-NALs

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Heck, not too far from Bill Clinton's home in Chappaqua in Westchester County a Hispanic lawyer and his wife was blocked by car at an intersection, a guy got out of the van, entered their car, shot the guy in the stomach and shot his wife in the head.

This happened an evening about a week or two ago after they attended an event in NYC. This happened in a suburb where 'nothing happens' and is overall very well to do.

Needless to say, his wife died later that evening while he is or was recuperating at a hospital in Westchester County. I have not heard any updates, but its proof once again that sometimes even good neighborhoods see their share of problems.

There are rumors that the murderer knew the victim, but still, a killing is a killing.

-NALs
Why not tell the complete story. That he is a disbarred defense lawyer, disbarred for incompetance and stealing client's funds, with supposed ties to the mob. Ya think the neighborhood had anything to do with his shooting?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Why not tell the complete story. That he is a disbarred defense lawyer, disbarred for incompetance and stealing client's funds, with supposed ties to the mob. Ya think the neighborhood had anything to do with his shooting?
I only posted what I had been told.

Don't know if the neighborhood had something to do with the shooting, but I do know that he and his wife had moved to Chappaqua a mere week or two prior to the assault. So, the possibility is there.

I just don't know and soon enough, the truth will come out if there is more to this story.

Getting back to topic, this ties in well with the OP's report of what happened in Santo Domingo.

While both incidents are obviously not connected or similar in any manner, both incidents were not random.

The difference is that the lawyer in Westchester probably got himself in trouble by his actions as a lawyer (and perhaps personal connections to the mob, as you mention) while the Santo Domingo expat victim got in trouble by asking the people who eventually killed him to fix something in his residence.

Again, both cases are not even remotely similar in how they occured, but one very clear message eminates from both:

BE CAREFUL WITH WHO YOU ASSOCIATE WITH AND BE CAREFUL WHO YOU INVITE INTO YOUR HOME. IF YOU NEED SOMETHING FIX, STILL BE CAREFUL WHO YOU TRUST TO FIX ANYTHING IN YOUR HOME.

And that's the moral of these two tragic stories. Separate by an ocean, but with the same message for both, those living in DR and those living in NY area or anywhere for that matter.

-NALs