What should deportees do?

pielmorena

Oct 23, 2006
I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right forum.
But I've read many of your thoughts on the deportee situation in DR from the US and have noticed many are against the whole deportee situation and for good reason. But many of those deportees fall under the situation written below.

A person who committed a crime in US and paid their dues to society is then deported back to DR, the country they were born in but had not seen in about half or more of their lifetime. They've realized they did wrong and try to start an honest life for him/herself and their family in DR, trying to make something better of themselves and prove wrong all those with the ideology of "once a criminal, always a crimal". But when he/she goes out there and begins a job search, they are turned away and not given an opportunity.
The majority of the time they are forced to lie about their history (on resume) just to avoid the assumption that they may have been deported, hoping it will help. But companies in DR already assume that if you lived once in US, studied and worked there, then you must have been deported if you're back in DR.
In addition, I haven't yet confirmed, but I believe it's even difficult for people in this situation to register at universities as well (I assume there is some type of backgorund check)

My question is this...What is this person suppossed to do? How does he make a life for himself and his family?

I would appreciate anyone who can shed some "positive" light on this issue.

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
I would appreciate anyone who can shed some "positive" light on this issue.

pielmorena, since you asked for "positive" light, I'll chime in. The other times this issue was covered, 99 percent of the comments were very negative.

I have family members and close friends who have been deported. They are all working; some work in the tourism industry and one is actually associated with a university as an English instructor.

One of my close friends actually obtained a law degree after deportation; another completed his doctorate. Both are working just fine.

As far as work history and enrolling in school, well, the one who teaches English was asked for his 8th grade and high school diplomas from the US before he enrolled. They wanted both items certified by a local Dominican consulate in the city where they were issued. He's now teaching other adults.

A good friend of mine hails from Mao, but lives in Higuey and works in Bávaro; he's a manager in a big hotel complex, does very well.

None of them were asked the reason for deportation; one of them volunteered it, but was hired. He's the one teaching.

Not all deportees turn to crime.

-The Kid

pielmorena

Oct 23, 2006

-The Kid

I could not agree with you more.

Thank you for you thoughts and I am glad to hear how your family and friends have moved on and have had the opportunity to become successful. I pray that those close to me in the same situation have the same luck and your post has given me that hope.

I will share an example, so that you may better understand why I posted this thread.

A close friend of mine, who was deported, went a to new company (American company) in Santiago to apply for a customer service position. After passing the initial test (with a high score) he was scheduled for an interview. About halfway through the interview process, he is asked "I want you to be honest with me, were you actually deported? I recommend you be honest as we can find this information out through other means". He was shocked, a bit intimidated and didn't know what to say, so he did what he thought was the right thing and admitted he was in fact deported. They of coursem never called him back.

Last edited:

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
I think you will find that the Call Center Industry has adopted a "don't ask, don't tell" policy. Deportees make up a significant portion of the workforce.

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
pielmorena, since you asked for "positive" light, I'll chime in. The other times this issue was covered, 99 percent of the comments were very negative.

I have family members and close friends who have been deported. They are all working; some work in the tourism industry and one is actually associated with a university as an English instructor.

One of my close friends actually obtained a law degree after deportation; another completed his doctorate. Both are working just fine.

As far as work history and enrolling in school, well, the one who teaches English was asked for his 8th grade and high school diplomas from the US before he enrolled. They wanted both items certified by a local Dominican consulate in the city where they were issued. He's now teaching other adults.

A good friend of mine hails from Mao, but lives in Higuey and works in B?varo; he's a manager in a big hotel complex, does very well.

None of them were asked the reason for deportation; one of them volunteered it, but was hired. He's the one teaching.

-The Kid

Just wondering did these friends of yours get deported for comitting crimes or just for being illegal? Most people that spend time in prison would find it a little difficult to try to go legit and then excell after going legit.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
I could not agree with you more.

Thank you for you thoughts and I am glad to hear how your family and friends have moved on and have had the opportunity to become successful. I pray that those close to me in the same situation have the same luck and your post has given me that hope.

I will share an example, so that you may better understand why I posted this thread.

A close friend of mine, who was deported, went a to new company (American company) in Santiago to apply for a customer service position. After passing the initial test (with a high score) he was scheduled for an interview. About halfway through the interview process, he is asked "I want you to be honest with me, were you actually deported? I recommend you be honest as we can find this information out through other means". He was shocked, a bit intimidated and didn't know what to say, so he did what he thought was the right thing and admitted he was in fact deported. They of coursem never called him back.
I have yet to see one Call Center in the DR which does not employ deportees. Maybe he should work on his interview skills.

pielmorena

Oct 23, 2006
I think you will find that the Call Center Industry has adopted a "don't ask, don't tell" policy. Deportees make up a significant portion of the workforce.

That's what most surprises me....The person I mentioned in my prior post has mainly applied to companies in the Call Center Industry. He has prior call center experience in US and speaks English fluently and has had no luck.

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
Just wondering did these friends of yours get deported for comitting crimes or just for being illegal? Most people that spend time in prison would find it a little difficult to try to go legit and then excell after going legit.

All of them had comitted drug offenses. One of them, the teacher, never spent a night in jail, having been released the same evening he was initially arrested, later to be given a 3-year probation after his third court date. With four months left on his probation, and three months after 9-11, INS had to flex their tough-on-crime muscles, and showed up at his house and arrested him, regardless of the support he received from his probation officers. The probation officers even pleaded with INS, and even submitted paperwork showing he had actually been permitted to travel overseas for work, yet kept his end of the bargain as instructed. But to no avail. INS was under the microscope. They searched the dockets for non-citizens in violations of US laws, regardless if on probation or out on parole.

By the way, I know of others who are trying to come back to the US, and some who have made it back through Mexico, later to be arrested for the same reasons. One friend has been deported twice, then came back to the US, left on his own accord, then was extradited to US, served time, and is back in DR working as a lawyer.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
All of them had comitted drug offenses. One of them, the teacher, never spent a night in jail, having been released the same evening he was initially arrested, later to be given a 3-year probation after his third court date. With four months left on his probation, and three months after 9-11, INS had to flex their tough-on-crime muscles, and showed up at his house and arrested him, regardless of the support he received from his probation officers. The probation officers even pleaded with INS, and even submitted paperwork showing he had actually been permitted to travel overseas for work, yet kept his end of the bargain as instructed. But to no avail. INS was under the microscope. They searched the dockets for non-citizens in violations of US laws, regardless if on probation or out on parole.

By the way, I know of others who are trying to come back to the US, and some who have made it back through Mexico, later to be arrested for the same reasons. One friend has been deported twice, then came back to the US, left on his own accord, then was extradited to US, served time, and is back in DR working as a lawyer.
A teacher who got popped for selling/doing drugs? And you think deportation is harsh? I assume it was a felony. Aren't felons deported? Isn't that the law?

:ermm:

He should have taken the laws in the US more seriously. Maybe as a Dominican, who often pretend laws don't apply to them (just look at driving in the DR), he should have thought twice.

Why should we feel sorry for a non-citizen school teacher busted for drugs?:rolleyes:

pielmorena

Oct 23, 2006
Here we go...

None of us are saints people. Some of us make more and/ or worst "mistakes" than others. But if it's really in these people to better themselves then why can't they have the same oppurtunity.

"Let him who is without sin cast the first stone" John 8:7

BTW - Howmar, I got your PM - Thanks for you help.

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
A teacher who got popped for selling/doing drugs? And you think deportation is harsh? I assume it was a felony. Aren't felons deported? Isn't that the law?

:ermm:

He should have taken the laws in the US more seriously. Maybe as a Dominican, who often pretend laws don't apply to them (just look at driving in the DR), he should have thought twice.

Why should we feel sorry for a non-citizen school teacher busted for drugs?:rolleyes:

I take you didn't read it properly.

First of all, pielmorena asked for positive cases, so I provided a few. Secondly, he became a teacher after getting deported; I thought that was made clear, but if not, now it is. Thirdly, I'm not condoning his actions while in the US. Lastly, no one is asking you to feel sorry for anything. He has taken his second chance seriously, and is very happy these days. There are thousands like him in the DR.

Deportation is harsh? I never said such thing. But since you brought it up, then, yes, it is harsh in lots of cases, for obvious reasons.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Fair enough that they broke the law and paid the consequences, but "drug offences" can mean a lot of things, some representing more of a threat to society/individual citizens than others. Why should someone convicted of soft drug use be barred from useful employment?
[insert old joke about not inhaling/giggling helplessly with intent and eating chocolate bars in a built-up area] ;)

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
There are also drug users who are not drug 'offenders' because they have never been caught. Take the example of the bank manager using a banned substance recreationally say once a month: able to hold down a responsible job and function normally. Sometimes even using a less than soft drug. Not all drug users are dysfunctional.

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
There are also drug users who are not drug 'offenders' because they have never been caught. Take the example of the bank manager using a banned substance recreationally say once a month: able to hold down a responsible job and function normally. Sometimes even using a less than soft drug. Not all drug users are dysfunctional.

Chiri and Lambada, I could always count on you two to see things outside of the tunnel.

Henley once wrote about fearing the white-collar criminal more than the drug users.

Chiri, the first time they passed me a joint, I didn't inhale. I still pretended, passing it back with the usual "ear" instead of "here" - the 'h' sound would cause you to exhale.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I take you didn't read it properly.

First of all, pielmorena asked for positive cases, so I provided a few. Secondly, he became a teacher after getting deported; I thought that was made clear, but if not, now it is. Thirdly, I'm not condoning his actions while in the US. Lastly, no one is asking you to feel sorry for anything. He has taken his second chance seriously, and is very happy these days. There are thousands like him in the DR.

Deportation is harsh? I never said such thing. But since you brought it up, then, yes, it is harsh in lots of cases, for obvious reasons.
One would think if going to/being in the US is so important, than he/she* would fully follow he laws (until changed) so he/she* would not run afoul of the prevailing bureaucracies whose job it is to enforce said laws-such as deporting felons**.

*My PC for the day.

**I say felons, because I don't think one can be deported for misdemeanors.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Chiri and Lambada, I could always count on you two to see things outside of the tunnel.

Henley once wrote about fearing the white-collar criminal more than the drug users.

Chiri, the first time they passed me a joint, I didn't inhale. I still pretended, passing it back with the usual "ear" instead of "here" - the 'h' sound would cause you to exhale.
Did you also not have sexual relations with that woman?;)

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Irrelavant to the discussion.

Until the laws change (and I would be an advocate for that), doing or selling drugs come with stiff criminal and societal sanctions, and the users/marketers need to understand the risks.

The current US Immigration laws clearly specify what happens if you commit a felony. If one chooses to avail themselves of US law to get in, then they also avail themselves of US law regarding deportation.

Not being a hardass here; just putting the situation under the harsh light of fact.

pielmorena

Oct 23, 2006
One would think if going to/being in the US is so important, than he/she* would fully follow he laws (until changed) so he/she* would not run afoul of the prevailing bureaucracies whose job it is to enforce said laws-such as deporting felons**.

You make a good point...and yes by committing their crimes they did give up " the opportunity" of living in the US.

Noone is justifying their actions, we are merely saying they deserve a chance to mend their ways and be given the same opportunities as everyone else.

If not, think about it, what's left for them to do, sell drugs, steal? Most don't want to do this, like my friend for instance. Yes, some may choose to do this because it is easier and haven't learned a thing but other may fall into this because it's their only option.

So should they just be punished for LIFE and be shunned by society???

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
Irrelavant to the discussion.

But it does have relevance, especially after you talked about US laws being violated. What wasn't relevant was your initial reaction. Again, the young lady asked for cases in which deportees did good. It appears as if you are not happy with this outcome. Want to castigate them further?