what to wear

A

Alyssa

I'm moving to Santo Domingo this summer, and I am just wondering what sorts of clothes to bring. What is acceptable attire for a woman to wear to work, to play, dancing...

D

DR1

If you will be relocating to the DR, we suggest you purchase the Living in Santo Domingo book available through this site. Regarding what people in Santo Domingo wear... summer wear. Lots of sleeveless dresses for women, and Dockers pants for men. But note that shorts are usually worn only in resort or beach areas, and only on weekends, both by women and men. Dominicans are more formal (European) in their dressing, versus North Americans. For instance, you may be invited to an evening barbecue that will take place on a hot summer evening outdoors, to find that everyone is dressed in long pants, no shorts as would be usual in the US. Do bring sweaters and light long sleeved shirts for the "winter" though. Winter temperatures drop to the 60s and low 70s.

A

Amilda Betancourt

This and many other questions are the ones that we "Expat Relocation Service" help our clients with. Let me tell you first - Dominicans like to dress up. This is one of the first difficulties I encountered when I arrived 7 year ago . I was transferred from Jamaica where people are very relaxed in this respect. Now I am accustomed to these new ways and help the new comer understand them also.

Unlike other Caribbean countries you don't find bright flowery prints used a great deal except perhaps on the beach. In the work place traditional wear is appropriate. Pant suits with matching accessories. We have a lot of dressmakers here so everyone can afford to have suits made and the ladies make an effort to appear professional and well turned out. It is customary to go to the salon every week and have your hair coifed and nails manicured- everyone! As a general rule I dress more than less here!