Hello everyone. A few Questions.

abcabccba

Nov 30, 2006
A friend and I are seriously considering moving to the Dominican Republic for 6 months to a year, just to get away and have fun before we come back to finish college and work until we die. I have a few questions which hopefully can be answered by those that live there or have better experience than my 1 week vacation there a year ago (punta cana).

This is the situation: We are both in our twenties, looking to go to a place where there is good nightlife and a lot of girls, but I don't really want to carry a concealed gun in public if necessary. We both want to work, not necessarily to make money, but just to meet people and make friends. We make good money here which we will have in case we need it, but prefer to just pay for the apartment rent with our money from home and work to eat and drink and have fun.

What is the best place for this?

Also, how are jobs for people who are native english speakers in the middle of college? With only one semester of spanish 1?

To those that have guns, how/where did you get them and how much did they cost? Do you have to register them, or will the police not care whether the gun you used in self defense was legal?

Like I said above, we would stay for 6 months to a year. What would be the best for residency/citizenship? Not get any? Can we get paid under the table by any company here, or is proof of residency/citizenship important for a job?

Anything else you can think of to add, please do. I found super-casas.com to look for apartments, anything better? I am only a couple of hours into browsing here, but have read through a couple of other sites and am still kind of clueless as I don't know where to look to live.

Thanks in advance.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
(1) Forget the thought of getting a gun, you can't. You must be a permanent resident or Dominican. It takes about 2 years to get the permanent residency.

(2) Forget about finding a job, unless you know someone personally that will pay you for doing something.

(3) There are lots of pretty young ladies here. And in my opinion, for every pretty sexy one you see in the states, you would see a few dozen here.

That's the only 3 things I know enought to comment about in your post.

Come down and enjoy the D.R. paradise. Just be careful and not foolish.

Don - SantiagoDR

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Forget it. Youwill just get in really bad trouble.

Punta Cana is not the Dominican Republic

HB

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
One of the reasons it took me six months of 'lurking' on this forum before finally starting to post is because they don't tend to 'pull punches'. One of the reasons I've enjoyed regularly reading it is because... they don't tend to pull punches!;)

You might find it useful to read The Dominican Republic Report by John Schroder. It's an on-line book which will cost you US$20 and covers much that you mention. (Do a Google). The following extract from the report is particularly relevant to you...

"This is a place where residency can be obtained using a legitimate layer and paying the $2500 legal fee for your residency...

Residency is fairly quick and easy if you do it the legitimate way. It is better to be safe than sorry, so I would suggest you go for the legal residency process. Why do I suggest this? Because residency automatically comes with right to legally live and work without restriction (plus the possibility of applying for a Dominican Passport after roughly two years).

Like many Latin American countries, you can go the under-the-table shady route and try to buy a passport. My experience is, when you purchase a diamond ring for ten cents, you probably are the proud owner of something that?s not worth a dime. Do things the right and correct way, it is worth the wait and effort in the long run.

Also, I advocate the legal and correct residency process for you because the government has made an attempt to crack down on illegal aliens. I have heard that in 2002 ? 2003, the government made a sweep of all the businesses on the beach in Cabarete. The government officials and police checked all the business owners and the employees to see if they had residency and were legitimate. They tell me the Canadian college kids were running down the beach and jumping over fences like illegal Mexicans in California... Do not put yourself in that position. If you get caught working without the proper permission, you are going to have a problem..."

There are bars in Cabarete that may look for staff (I've never worked in the DR so I wouldn't know). I'd guess there are bars in Sosua who would also employ English speaking foreign staff. Wages are poor, so staff get by on tips. You would probably be better living off the US$2500 it would cost to be legit! And most bar staff are girls. I believe, if you are caught working illegally, you will be banned from the country. Plus, you probably need better Spanish to work anywhere.

I know of some young American's who have done useful voluntary work in the DR. If you are looking to work to 'meet people', rather than for the wages, this would perhaps be worth considering? Then you don't need to worry about the residency, although if you stay beyond the 90 days of tourist visa, you have to pay a fine, (apparently this is generally approx US$20)

Cabarete is a great place for beach & bars as well as a younger clientele. But accommodation is more expensive for exactly the reasons I mentioned. However, it is also safer, especially for a less experienced traveller.

But if you are even thinking of carrying a gun??!!?? Perhaps Hillbilly's advice is best...

vince1956

On Vacation!
May 24, 2006
overstay fine

90 days of tourist visa, you have to pay a fine, (apparently this is generally approx US$20)
15 days to 3 months 300 peso , 3 months to 9 months 500 peso

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Ahhhh, John Schroeder at his best!! The OP might be better advised investing the US $20 in cups of coffee for three nights & going through all the archives held on DR1 - just punch in keywords of interest & you will find the relevant posts to give you LOCAL information!!

Residencies (temporary) cost from US $1,200 through most reliable lawyers - THESE ARE LEGAL RESIDENCIES, not false shiny looking ones!!
Residencies (temporary) take from 3 to 6 months to obtain - these days nearer the SIX months!! Several on this board have been waiting 5 months already & still have a month or two to go!

Working down in Punta Cana - I would say forget it unless something falls into your lap whilst you are down here. If you demeanor & work capacity is good you will find something temporary - if it is NOT, you won't get offered anything!

If you bring a gun - be prepared for it to go 'missing' after about 2 days - someone is ALWAYS looking for guns especially if they are not registered here. You might also have a LOT of trouble bringing it in through customs!! There are many other reasons (all self evident to the thinking man where he is visiting a 'macho' culture) so my advice would be DON'T bring it/them.

Can't you 'get away' from it all, meet & have fun with girls & friends in the US of A these days?? ~ Grahame.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Ahhhh, John Schroeder at his best!! The OP might be better advised investing the US $20 in cups of coffee for three nights & going through all the archives held on DR1 - just punch in keywords of interest & you will find the relevant posts to give you LOCAL information!!

I couldn't agree more!

The information on DR1 is relevant and up to date, unlike many other sources.

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
personally, I'd never rely on any one source of info. I've found this site and many others to be very useful. But I also found the DR Report to be useful and, because it's all in one place, it's probably of use to these lads. They obviously haven't/aren't researching too far yet.