Does anyone know exact presudure

mura

Aug 25, 2006
I just purchased the car from my friend, he had to go back to UK. His paper for the car was on his name - matricula, insurance: we signed both bill of sale and matricula on the back side without attorney; and I really don't have a glue Where I should to go to pay transfer tax and change matricula to my name and How soon it should be done: in week, month? Am I (again) in trouble? I really appreciate if anyone can explain for me my next steps.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
You will need copies of his Identification (Usually that is a copy of the Cedula). You will need to get a form to take to the police to inspect the car to verify the car data and that it is not stolen. We went to the Palace of Justice in Santiago to obtain the form, not sure the name of the office there. After the police inspect the car, they will give you another form to take to go get the car changed over to your name. The insurance I believe will still be good until the expiration date, just that it will be in the previous owners name. Check with the insurance company.

Others on here probably can give you more detail. I should write this stuff down when I do it, makes it easier the next time, but being retired, I never get around to documenting.

Have fun! lol

Don - SantiagoDR

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
just get a cheap lawyer and he/she will do it all for a few thousand pesos.
AZB

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
just get a cheap lawyer and he/she will do it all for a few thousand pesos.
AZB

Yeah, trust a cheap laywer in the D.R. to do it all for you!

I hope the car gets transferred to the correct owner.
I trusted no one with the signed papers by the owner.

Just like people were buying lots and building houses on land owned by my wife's cousin, all done by a lawyer, unfortunately, the cousin did not know anything about it.

Getting the car transferred is no big deal, why gamble on an unknown lawyer. Being lazy is how many people get ripped off.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If youare in Puerto Plata or Sosúa, go over to Rentas Internas and ask them. They should give you some pretty straight info. SantiaogDR's recommendations are probably a new requirement since the last time I ought a vehicle...

HB

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
SantiaogDR's recommendations are probably a new requirement since the last time I ought a vehicle...

HB

We did our last car purchase/transfer in September HB, and that was what we had to do. We originally went to pay the taxes and they told us we had to get the police approval first. When we bought our previous car (About 3 years ago), we also had to get the police form.

Both vehicles were used and bought from private individuals, perhaps buying from a dealer, they do it all for you. That may be the difference.

Don - SantiagoDR