Fortaleza San Felipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
Can anyone refer me to resources for the history of this fortress (preferably in English)? I've visited, and there isn't a great deal of information on site. I've also searched the internet, and while I found lots of pictures, write-ups are cursory at best.

If this is the oldest fortress in the New World, I figure there must be some historical information about it somewhere, even if nothing momentous happened there. Thanks in advance for any information.

Bear

Aug 15, 2006
Fortaleza

If you have access to a computer "Google it". Lots of information on
this subject.
Happy Looking.
Bear

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
I tried "The Google", of course. The results were as I stated above; lots of references, no detail.

The fort is over 400 years old and was in active use for 300 years or more. In all that time I am sure there must have been something more in-depth written about it.

The website El Bohio Dominicano: Fortaleza San Felipe: Puerto Plata refers to an article or book called "The Fort San Felipe of Puerto Plata", by Dr. Germ?n Camarena G?mez. Googling that though, points only back to the el-bohio site.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Victor, sorry it's taken me a while to respond, I rarely visit the travel forums. Dr. Camarena is the Puerto Plata historian. He has written a number of books, the last one being a history of Puerto Plata. It has a small section on Fort San Felipe and lots of interesting historical pictures. It is in Spanish and the bookshop on Duarte between Parque Central and the Ambar Museum has it. Dr. Camarena can be contacted at the Casa de Cultura - the directory gives the number as 1-809-291-5051 but I think there is a typo because the 291 is not usual. I would try 1-809-261-5051 (261 is far more common).

The walking encyclopedia on Fort San Felipe is a 70 something year old guide whose nickname is Blackie. If you can't locate him at the Fort he hangs out in Parque Central in the mornings with a group of men of about the same age. His nickname is not indicative, he is light skinned. He does speak some English. If you're trying to locate him from outside the country, sorry I don't have a phone no. nor do I know if he has a phone but contact PP newspaper El Faro - they interviewed him recently.
.: Peri?dico El Faro ? Edici?n Digital :.

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
Thank you Lambada. I don't have much Spanish yet, so my verbal options are limited, but maybe I'll buy Dr. Camarena's book on the fortaleza as a study-aid.

There was a gentleman at the fort when we visited, who related a few historical tidbits for us, in English for me and Spanish for my companion. I don't have a clear recollection of him, but I believe he was nearer to his 40s than 70s.

One thing, I wish the DR government would put a bit more money and effort into maintaining these wonderful historic sites (after fixing the education and electric and water systems, of course).

wishingiwasthere

Nov 19, 2005
Internet Control

I tried "The Google", of course. The results were as I stated above; lots of references, no detail.

The fort is over 400 years old and was in active use for 300 years or more. In all that time I am sure there must have been something more in-depth written about it.

The website El Bohio Dominicano: Fortaleza San Felipe: Puerto Plata refers to an article or book called "The Fort San Felipe of Puerto Plata", by Dr. Germ?n Camarena G?mez. Googling that though, points only back to the el-bohio site.

This internet thing Victor - it sounds like someone has control and doesnt want to share the information!

Its a case of the Voodo handbag! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.