Are They Kidnapping Now?

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
"Police have rescued a Swiss citizen and his wife who were being held hostage in Imbert, near Puerto Plata."

That is a Colombian fingerprint. It had spread to several other countries. I did not know it was here. According to this story there were two kidnappings of two couples.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Several kidnappings a few years ago of Dominicans - Santiago & the capital. First I've heard of an expat/tourist situation. Do you have a link to the news story?

G

gary short

Who would of thought that Imbert of all places would be someplace to worry about??????

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Not much detail in the story, but disturbing nonetheless. On the plus side, would appear to be good work by the police.

Kidnapped in Pto Plata and recovered in Licey. That's quite a distance for the kidnappers to travel to get their victims. You'd almost have to think these people had in some way come to the attention of the kidnappers and weren't just random victims.

Let's hope we don't see this become a trend. Friends of mine who lived in Mexico for a couple of years said they had to remain very conscious of the risk at all times. According to them, employees of U.S. corporations were seen as ideal victims since the corporations carried kidnap insurance - and the corporations couldn't try to negotiate down a ransom demand as this could lead to a large lawsuit if this action led to harm to the victim.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Kidnapped in Pto Plata and recovered in Licey.
Not that it makes much difference, but I believe they were kidnapped from their home in Licey Al Medio, which is halfway between Santiago & Moca, then brought to Imbert.
Nice to hear that they came to no harm.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
These kidnappings are not new, but they are being more frequently reported now. Near us in Sonador is the Adventist University where two teachers, foreigners, were kidnapped (and safely rescued). Kidnapping is not an import from Colombia or Mexico or anywhere else; it is a homegrown practice of long standing.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Maybe his ?concubina? (girlfriend) wanted a quick cash in and told her boyfriend about her sugar daddy. :squareeye

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Kidnapping is not an import from Colombia or Mexico or anywhere else; it is a homegrown practice of long standing.

Not to try to split hairs as a crime is a crime anyway, but I would disagree with this statement. Kidnappings are a relatively new type of crime in The DR and I believe these started by Dominican Yorks (read ties to Colombians and Mexican drug cartels) trying to recoup debts.

I know of two kidnappings that have occurred in Cotui and they have both been drug related...not a random thing.