Help with Pronounciation

cdi_747

Nov 29, 2006
Hello,

Does anyone have any good ideas or methods I can use to teach my fiancee english when she moves to the U.s. with me? I think I might put labels all over the house and routinely go over them. But has anyone been successful or have any proven ways?

Thank you

cdi

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Learning English

The first year with my Dominican wife, she did not learn English, she kept watching the "Spanish" channels on TV.

The second year, we were working in St. Louis, no "Spanish" channels, she picked up English real fast.

That's why I do not learn Spanish very well, I keep watching the English channels on TV and hanging with my English speaking friends.

In ESOL classes they speak only English to the students for the same reason.

vince1956

On Vacation!
May 24, 2006
Hello,

Does anyone have any good ideas or methods I can use to teach my fiancee english when she moves to the U.s. with me? I think I might put labels all over the house and routinely go over them. But has anyone been successful or have any proven ways?

Thank you

cdi

As santiago said E S O L my wife went twice a week and just learned of friends and myself, my friend bought a spanish to english phrase book and my brother in law put labels all over the house

cdi_747

Nov 29, 2006
How did the labels work out? Merging the two cultures to me is more important that making her Americanized completely. I think I might try do 2 days a week only spanish speaking and channels so I can learn from her, and the rest english. It is also important to me when we have kids for them to speak spanish and maintain their heritage.

cdi

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Pronounciation?..That comes after you've learned a particular word. The very best way to learn a language is to "immerse" the person into it by suppressing his/her "native" language and, in whatever way, emphasizing the other.
BTW, how do you two communicate? How high is your level of Spanish? Does she speak any English at all?

As far as having children in the US or DR; kids pick up language exceedingly well. My US-born children speak Spanish with an accent and I'm constantly correcting their pronunciation. I talk to them in Spanish most of the time as they have no other source. Likewise, If you live in DR, you must use English or they may never learn it.
Again, constant usage will make anyone proficient at anything. It worked for me!